UQM-HD Beta 1 Coming soon!

An HD remake of Star Control 2. It's the full Ur-Quan Masters game but also featuring a high resolution mode, new features, & new artwork.

Moderators: dczanik, ZFP Peacekeepers

Salk
Hunam adventurer

Re: UQM-HD Beta 1 Coming soon!

Post by Salk » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:25 am

dczanik,

may I ask if there's been some release-stopping issues delaying your work? I was under the impression that version 2'd be out any day in June but that was not the case and I wonder if you could give us a small update on how things are going?

Thanks a lot!

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:38 pm

So I downloaded the alpha and am having plenty fun. Are you still interested in feedback/bugfixes for the alpha, or is this pretty pointless at this stage?

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:40 pm

Salk wrote:dczanik,

may I ask if there's been some release-stopping issues delaying your work? I was under the impression that version 2'd be out any day in June but that was not the case and I wonder if you could give us a small update on how things are going?

Thanks a lot!
Bad timing. The delay in the game ran into the time I was supposed to move to a new place. Unpacking, shopping for things like refrigerators, setting up utilities like internet, etc. has taken up the bulk of my time. My apologies. :( There's some minor fonts issues I need to work out. That, and I get compiling errors now which I have to spend some time figuring out. I really wish we had a windows programmer to help me out. Art, programming, translating, & project admin stuff is a lot of work for me. Fonts are a huge pain for me. The tools we have are a bit broken, so I had to write my own tool (which itself has some bugs). I personally can't wait for us to get True-Type fonts in the game :-)

My to do list:
Finish the 2x graphics for the "Translation Pack".
Make some minor changes to fonts.
Fix my compile errors. No idea what's going on here. It was working great before I moved?
Bleeding Star wrote:So I downloaded the alpha and am having plenty fun. Are you still interested in feedback/bugfixes for the alpha, or is this pretty pointless at this stage?
I'm okay with feedback, but at this point, if you find a bug....we've probably fixed it at this point. The only bugs I've come across is when switching languages, and things like a "Y" being 5 pixels too high up.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:47 am

Hmmm, maybe I will wait for the beta then. But there's Ur-Quans to kill! In high definition!!!

Salk
Hunam adventurer

Post by Salk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:08 am

Really grateful for the update, dczanik!

I wish I had the know-how to be of help but I am a computer illiterate. :-\-smf

Best of luck trying to get rid of those compile errors!

darklord42
Hunam adventurer

Post by darklord42 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:32 pm

Strange, usually all you can find is windows programers and are desperate for a mac one. You guys got it backward! :D

Syntactic
I'M ALIVE!

Post by Syntactic » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:02 pm

Hey! I registered an account to implore you to release a second alpha or a pre-beta! I know that you've been working hard on it, but perfect is the enemy of good, and it has been five months without an update to the alpha. It doesn't need to be the finished version, but if you have a ton of fixes you've already made, we would all appreciate it if you shared them with us while you're still on the road to finishing everything up!

Thanks for all your hard work!

landerik
I'M ALIVE!

Post by landerik » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:55 pm

Yes, do you have an ETA on the new beta? I want to play the HD version; I can wait another month or so to play it if you think the Beta (or an Alpha update) will be released shortly. However, If there are going to be any updates for a long time, I might just try the already released HD version. Any news on this front?

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:41 pm

landerik wrote:Yes, do you have an ETA on the new beta? I want to play the HD version; I can wait another month or so to play it if you think the Beta (or an Alpha update) will be released shortly. However, If there are going to be any updates for a long time, I might just try the already released HD version. Any news on this front?
It's been a while, hasn't it? Well, The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

I've been insanely busy, working 7 days a week at work. So my free time has been very little.

For an update to Ur-Quan Masters HD, our programmer took a much needed break, which given the tiny team size, means work stopped. I apologize, we should be gearing back up soon. I'd love to have a team that was big enough that if one of us took a break, work wouldn't come to a grinding halt.

ETA? Yikes. I'm hoping 9/1/2013.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:51 pm

great, another SC fan project canned.