Possible bugs in UQM HD

An HD remake of Star Control 2. It's the full Ur-Quan Masters game but also featuring a high resolution mode, new features, & new artwork.

Moderators: dczanik, ZFP Peacekeepers

UltronUser25
Hunam adventurer

Possible bugs in UQM HD

Post by UltronUser25 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi all! I'm a long-time Star Control 2 fan and have been playing it ever since I owned a 486 PC (remember those?)

I have uncovered what I believe to be a bug during dialogue with the Slylandro probe in the HD version. I am trying all the conversation options to reind myself of what they always used to say (as more recently I've just blased them to bits for 550RU a time).

When I open hail the probe says "This is Probe 2418-B. We are on a peaceful mission."

After a few conversations one of the options is "In case you didn't already know we are the nice people from Earth you keep attacking." I select that, then as the probe begins its repy, after about 2 or 3 words of speech te game stops working and crashes out to Windows. I repeated this 3 or 4 times, yesterday and today, with the same result. I tried other conversation options and have had no issue with other options so I think it's this dialogue that is the issue.

I have also had a few crashes out of SuperMelee - only three but on each occasion it was Chmmr vs Kohr-Ah - it didn't matter who had which ship (me or computer), but I have fought a number of other battles between these two ships with no issues so I think I was more unlucky on that occasion.

For info for the developers: I am running the game on Windows 8 on a i7 core processor with 16GB ram.
The Ultron tells me I should wear my Mask of Toys for Bob Appreciation when playing Star Control 2.

superbutcherx
Hunam adventurer

Re: Possible bugs in UQM HD

Post by superbutcherx » Sat May 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks for bringing these bugs to our attention!

We have fixed the Slylandro bug a while ago - it is a case of missing voice files for the Slylandro homeworld coordinates. For some reason they were unfortunately missing from the Alpha release, but they will be in the upcoming Beta.

However, this Chmmr vs Kohr-Ah crash is new to me. I'll have to playtest to see if I can replicate the crash. Did you do anything specific on the times it crashed? Did the crash occur upon winning the fight, in the middle of it, or before it was even properly started?

UltronUser25
Hunam adventurer

Post by UltronUser25 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:27 pm

I've tried re-running SuperMelee with a fleet of Kohr-Ah against a fleet of Chmmr, and have had no repeats of a crash-out so far. I'm beginning to think now it was a coincidence that the few times it did crash was with those two ships as I've had no problems since. I've not encountered any crashes in the main game during combat (mainly due to the fact that the Chmmr is available late in the game and isn't much use by then).
When it did happen, both ships were near point-blank range and low on battery trading shots to try and get that vital kill shot in. It was all a bit fast and frantic so didn't really notice too much else!
I'll keep re-running these combats over the next few days and if I get a repeat I'll mention it here.
The Ultron tells me I should wear my Mask of Toys for Bob Appreciation when playing Star Control 2.

Mathius
Hunam adventurer

Post by Mathius » Thu May 09, 2013 3:55 am

I am not sure if this has been mentioned on other sites. My apologies if it has. During planetary missions the sprite of the lander is extremely glitched during my playthroughs. It also seems that the lander's hitbox is slightly larger than normal causing some frustration. This may be my imagination though.

Here is my system info:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/8/2013, 23:52:35
Machine name: OWNER-MATT
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.130308-1436)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite A305
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 1.70
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 2940MB RAM
Page File: 1435MB used, 4649MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Thu May 09, 2013 4:05 am

Mathius wrote:I am not sure if this has been mentioned on other sites. My apologies if it has. During planetary missions the sprite of the lander is extremely glitched during my playthroughs. It also seems that the lander's hitbox is slightly larger than normal causing some frustration. This may be my imagination though.

Here is my system info:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/8/2013, 23:52:35
Machine name: OWNER-MATT
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.130308-1436)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite A305
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 1.70
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 2940MB RAM
Page File: 1435MB used, 4649MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode
Laptop, by the looks of it. What's the resolution?
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

Mathius
Hunam adventurer

Post by Mathius » Thu May 09, 2013 4:11 am

Yeah it's a laptop. :-[-smf 1280x800

Edit: Also, during conversations the graphics get glitched as well. For instance, the Illwrath's "mouth" was on the left side of the screen instead of where it is supposed to be. I get lots of similar glitches during conversations while playing Project 6014

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Thu May 09, 2013 5:57 am

Mathius wrote:Yeah it's a laptop. :-[-smf 1280x800

Edit: Also, during conversations the graphics get glitched as well. For instance, the Illwrath's "mouth" was on the left side of the screen instead of where it is supposed to be. I get lots of similar glitches during conversations while playing Project 6014
Yeah. You're running 640x480 mode. It's not supported in Alpha 1. Buggy as hell. We should have disabled it completely. 4x mode is 1280x960.

We are working on releasing a Beta which fixes all those bugs. Should be out in maybe 2.5 weeks?
We've got only about 12 bugs left to fix. But it depends on my work schedule.

Love the avatar.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014

Mathius
Hunam adventurer

Post by Mathius » Fri May 10, 2013 1:32 am

dczanik wrote:
Mathius wrote:Yeah it's a laptop. :-[-smf 1280x800

Yeah. You're running 640x480 mode. It's not supported in Alpha 1. Buggy as hell. We should have disabled it completely. 4x mode is 1280x960.

We are working on releasing a Beta which fixes all those bugs. Should be out in maybe 2.5 weeks?
We've got only about 12 bugs left to fix. But it depends on my work schedule.

Love the avatar.

Is there a way I can get my screen to display the game properly in the higher resolutions without the gaming window being too big? As of now I can't see the whole screen while playing in higher res.

Ash is King. :)

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Fri May 10, 2013 2:51 am

Mathius wrote: Is there a way I can get my screen to display the game properly in the higher resolutions without the gaming window being too big? As of now I can't see the whole screen while playing in higher res.

Yeah! See here:
www.star-control.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=808
- Damon Czanik

Mathius
Hunam adventurer

Post by Mathius » Fri May 10, 2013 4:11 am

dczanik wrote:
Mathius wrote: Is there a way I can get my screen to display the game properly in the higher resolutions without the gaming window being too big? As of now I can't see the whole screen while playing in higher res.

Yeah! See here:
http://www.star-control.com/community/v ... f=13&t=808

Okay, I am an idiot, but I think I know what to do thanks to the above link. Only question is which file do I edit, and once I am in the file where? Please excuse my noobness. I don't play many PC games but I wanted to experience SC2 in it's visually enhanced form. I grew up with the 3DO version. :D