Help Request: Information needed (story spoilers).

An HD remake of Star Control 2. It's the full Ur-Quan Masters game but also featuring a high resolution mode, new features, & new artwork.

Moderators: dczanik, ZFP Peacekeepers

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Help Request: Information needed (story spoilers).

Post by dczanik » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi guys!

We're talking about including a 'commentary mode' like the commentary on some games or DVDs. I'd like to include any trivia, interesting quotes, information, etc. you guys can find. There's so much information spread out over 20 years, that I could use your help. Use your vast knowledge of the Star Control games, to help us make a better game.

Arr, thar be Spoilers ahead. Ye be warned!
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Help Request: Information needed (story spoilers).

Post by Dyandod » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:50 pm

??? I'm confused what this is about? Sounds like it's for Project 6014 but it's in the HD forum?
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:38 pm

Dyandod wrote:??? I'm confused what this is about? Sounds like it's for Project 6014 but it's in the HD forum?
It's a commentary of the UQM game. So say you were like near earth it might say "Did you know that Commander Hayes names the Yehat royal family: "Veep-Zeep", while every other source in game refers to them as the "Veep-Neeps".".
I think, assuming I understood the request correctly.

Btw, what kind of trivia are you looking for?

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:45 pm

Nope it's for the HD game, but will probably be for both. There's cool information about both. I'm looking for anything you deem interesting.

Paul Reiche (on the Androsynth): "My initial intention was that, yes, they were gay, or more properly, strictly monosexual. About the time Fred and I were working on Star Control II, I had my first friendships with openly gay folks. It always has felt good to me to discard a prejudice and I hoped to share that opportunity in teeny-weeny little way with the people who played my games. BUT, when I shared this notion with our publisher, some folks took this to mean that they should use stereotypes for humor, as for instance the "fashion designers of space" crap that ended-up in the manual. I feel like I should have been more courageous getting that comment edited out and if it offended anyone, I feel really bad about that.
Hopefully as the future unfolds, we will find our species more accepting of others and more appreciative of individual expression... either that or we should all get jetpacks. I'm cool either way."

Each Auto-Tracking System (to a maximum of 3) you have installed on your flagship increases the energy usage of firing by one unit. This is independent of the number and the type of weapons you have installed.

To be able to sell the coordinates of a Rainbow world to the Melnorme, you must have orbited that Rainbow world. It is not necessary to make any scans.

In Star Control 2 on PC there was a bug where you could sell landers to make money. Once you hit 0, you could keep selling landers.

The dialog may not tell us which one is the Zoq, the Fot, or the Pik, but the code assigns them the labels Zoq, Fot, and Pik from left to right.

There is text and speech for selling precursor artifacts to the Melnorme, but they are not used in the game.

Fans have calculated the time tables of the Slyandro:
Drahn = 0.59 * 4000000 / 365.25 = 6460 earth years
Drahnasa = 0.59 * 2000 / 365.25 = 3.23 earth years
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:37 pm

Did you know the game checks every single Shofixti ship ever spawned to see if it's Tanaka?

Did you know the game checks to see if you met Fwiffo every single time you land on a planet?

Did you know the game actually used to use the smallest star for collision detection when orbiting planets? That caused major problems when we modified the star graphics!

(there's got to be a semi-infinite number of these perversions in the code...)
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:29 pm

dczanik wrote:Fans have calculated the time tables of the Slyandro:
There's more to that, I think... (but I probably have the details wrong): The way they calculated these was that they used the planet info from the planet orbit screen... Well, that's what they would have done... but you never get to see the planet orbit in-game, instead you go directly into the conversation screen with the Slylandro. So, what they had to do was go into the code to see the numbers.

Furthermore, in their dialogue, the Slylandro say that the Sentient Milieu last visited them 3 drahns ago, and that the Precursors (The Shaggy Ones) had last visited 39 Drahns ago. If you convert these numbers to years, the numbers fit up with other aliens accounts of the Precursors and Sentient Milieu. Which means Paul and Fred actually figured out how many drahn it would be, even though they knew you wouldn't be able to see the planet info in-game.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:52 pm

Dyandod wrote:
dczanik wrote:Fans have calculated the time tables of the Slyandro:
There's more to that, I think... (but I probably have the details wrong): The way they calculated these was that they used the planet info from the planet orbit screen... Well, that's what they would have done... but you never get to see the planet orbit in-game, instead you go directly into the conversation screen with the Slylandro. So, what they had to do was go into the code to see the numbers.

Furthermore, in their dialogue, the Slylandro say that the Sentient Milieu last visited them 3 drahns ago, and that the Precursors (The Shaggy Ones) had last visited 39 Drahns ago. If you convert these numbers to years, the numbers fit up with other aliens accounts of the Precursors and Sentient Milieu. Which means Paul and Fred actually figured out how many drahn it would be, even though they knew you wouldn't be able to see the planet info in-game.
Okay. So, The Precursors last visited about 251,940 years ago.
The Sentient Millieu: ~19,380 years ago.
- Damon Czanik

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:08 pm

The Ultranomicon's "list of references" page would be invaluable for this sort of thing.

Of course, one of the best tidbits of this sort of info would be about Groombridge and its original intended purpose as a shrine to the devs.

Another of my favorites I've read technically concerns SC1, but nonetheless: The first melee AI designed was for the Arilou, and it was literally unbeatable. Its maneuverability allowed it wiggle into firing angles that made retaliation impossible (which it still does somewhat), and it would teleport away from projectiles with 100% accuracy (which is why teleportation can now sometimes land inside a planet. It had to be dumbed down before it could be used in the game, but it still remains one of the most competent AIs.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:04 pm

Draxas wrote: Another of my favorites I've read technically concerns SC1, but nonetheless: The first melee AI designed was for the Arilou, and it was literally unbeatable. Its maneuverability allowed it wiggle into firing angles that made retaliation impossible (which it still does somewhat), and it would teleport away from projectiles with 100% accuracy (which is why teleportation can now sometimes land inside a planet. It had to be dumbed down before it could be used in the game, but it still remains one of the most competent AIs.
Timewarp's (otherwise absolutely and entirely incompetent) AI demonstrates this very well.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:15 pm

I am 100% certain I just posted a load of facts here... That took me like half an hour as well.