HD Wishlist

An HD remake of Star Control 2. It's the full Ur-Quan Masters game but also featuring a high resolution mode, new features, & new artwork.

Moderators: dczanik, ZFP Peacekeepers

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: HD Wishlist

Post by oldlaptop » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:26 pm

gsmithx wrote:Just one item, as sad and petty as it may sound... A base resolution change from ????x980 resolution to ????x900. My laptop (which is my gaming machine) id 160x900 max res unless I HDMI it to the TV... Being a PC technician, I have noticed that this is rapidly becoming a standard resolution on laptops, and even some desktop pc's... Widescreen is great... But you tend to lose vertical resolution in favor of screen width. :cry: And while it may not seem like much, those 80 pixels can really screw you up if they are missing. And yeah, 640x480 is horrible for graphic glitches... (as per the tech noted section of this forum... lol)

Thanks for reading, hope it can happen, but won't be too crushed if it doesn't.

Greg Smith
Playing SC2 since 1992
This won't happen for technical reasons - the two resolutions which will be fully supported are 640x480 and 1280x960, which are precisely 2x and 4x the original 320x240 system, it is *very* hard to get the engine to work in anything else.

But... it will be possible to downscale the 1280x960 (or upscale the 640x480) graphics to fit stupid 16:9 laptop screens. You will obviously lose some detail, but it's a lot better than nothing! :) In fact you can do this with the alpha release, although it won't look all that great: http://star-control.com/community/viewt ... f=13&t=808 (the example is for a 1366x768 screen but should work on other resolutions).
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:42 pm

oldlaptop wrote:
gsmithx wrote:Just one item, as sad and petty as it may sound... A base resolution change from ????x980 resolution to ????x900. My laptop (which is my gaming machine) id 160x900 max res unless I HDMI it to the TV... Being a PC technician, I have noticed that this is rapidly becoming a standard resolution on laptops, and even some desktop pc's... Widescreen is great... But you tend to lose vertical resolution in favor of screen width. :cry: And while it may not seem like much, those 80 pixels can really screw you up if they are missing. And yeah, 640x480 is horrible for graphic glitches... (as per the tech noted section of this forum... lol)

Thanks for reading, hope it can happen, but won't be too crushed if it doesn't.

Greg Smith
Playing SC2 since 1992
This won't happen for technical reasons - the two resolutions which will be fully supported are 640x480 and 1280x960, which are precisely 2x and 4x the original 320x240 system, it is *very* hard to get the engine to work in anything else.

But... it will be possible to downscale the 1280x960 (or upscale the 640x480) graphics to fit stupid 16:9 laptop screens. You will obviously lose some detail, but it's a lot better than nothing! :) In fact you can do this with the alpha release, although it won't look all that great: http://star-control.com/community/viewt ... f=13&t=808 (the example is for a 1366x768 screen but should work on other resolutions).
It looks pretty good downscaled with the filtering on. I doubt most people would see the difference. Attached is 4x mode reduced down from 960 to 800 pixels high in the game. 900 pixels will look better.
bilinear4.png
bilinear4.png (407.3 KiB) Viewed 4340 times
bilinear3.png
bilinear3.png (754.74 KiB) Viewed 4340 times
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:22 pm

Another wish: all that greyness on the right side of the screen is awfully bland... it's kind of jarring, actually, when you compare it to everything else.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:43 pm

Dyandod wrote:Another wish: all that greyness on the right side of the screen is awfully bland... it's kind of jarring, actually, when you compare it to everything else.
It's on my "to do" list.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:28 pm

The PDL units aren't aligned properly. And the ship looks... chubby.

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:46 pm

Death 999 wrote:The PDL units aren't aligned properly. And the ship looks... chubby.
:'(-smf
- Damon Czanik

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:43 pm

I meant the latter as a neutral statement. I liked the Syreen starbase commander, after all. However, it does appear different in a way I suspect was unintended.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:40 am

I always wondered if it was possible to add in a little piece of dialogue that the commander would say if there was a probe in the system. Something like:
"Sorry to bother you captain but out scanners have picked up a strange ship in the vicinity of the station. I suggest you make immediate contact and, if necessary, deal with any threat."

And also, adding in the missing dialogue would be nice. I know some people have attempted to re-create the voice sounds (there's a quite successful one of the UQM forum), maybe that could be put in (it could be optional maybe).

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:37 am

chenjesuwizard wrote:I always wondered if it was possible to add in a little piece of dialogue that the commander would say if there was a probe in the system. Something like:
"Sorry to bother you captain but out scanners have picked up a strange ship in the vicinity of the station. I suggest you make immediate contact and, if necessary, deal with any threat."

And also, adding in the missing dialogue would be nice. I know some people have attempted to re-create the voice sounds (there's a quite successful one of the UQM forum), maybe that could be put in (it could be optional maybe).
We need a voice actor that sounds like the commander. Or, get creative with the audio splicing.
- Damon Czanik

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:48 pm

Ahh, of course.

Btw, you mentioned earlier that the game was free for anyone to edit. Is there the source code for me to download anywhere? (I don't have any plans to edit it really, I just wanted to take a look).