HD Wishlist

An HD remake of Star Control 2. It's the full Ur-Quan Masters game but also featuring a high resolution mode, new features, & new artwork.

Moderators: dczanik, ZFP Peacekeepers

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Re: HD Wishlist

Post by dczanik » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:32 pm

Dyandod wrote:"Logs of conversations: Yes. That's on our list."
"Mouse support: On our list."
"History of where you've been in HS."

Some of these sound like they'd also apply for the non-HD Ur-Quan Masters... are we working on getting these wishes into vanilla UQM, too?

Another wish: ability to mix-and-match the original soundtrack with the remixes (i.e. original Hyperspace theme, but new planet landing themes)
Yes. We've created two branches, to help ease the porting over to UQM.
Angelfish wrote:More ship angles should be your top priority I think. The graphics are reasonably up to date now but the 16 ship angles will scare away everyone new to the star control universe.
After the resolution thing, this is our top priority. We've got one of our best men on the job on it. To do this requires an almost entire re-write of the melee engine which we are calling the "shipyard" engine. We're doubling the frames per second, increasing the rotations, and it will give us abilities that we couldn't do before like ship damage, glowing objects, user mods, etc. The idea that this could make it into Beta 1 though is small. It's no small task. We've re-rendered all the ship animations to allow for this. So, we're getting there. Best guess, 2 months.

Yes. The ship angles will be optional. Choose between the 'classic' 16 angles, or the more fluid animation. This was a requirement from Day 1.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:45 pm

Great job, I eagerly await your progress :D

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Hey dczanik- you've noticed that the planet lander texts are being cut off, right?
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:41 pm

Dyandod wrote:Hey dczanik- you've noticed that the planet lander texts are being cut off, right?
Yeah, we fixed it for the next version.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014

Elestan
Hunam adventurer

Post by Elestan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:58 pm

dczanik wrote:We all want items that we can improve the game. Can't guarantee we'll get to them all, but if you have an item you'd like to see in the game, put it here.
Just my opinion, but what I'd like to see in v1.0 is bug-free HD graphics, at all supported resolution levels, working correctly in netplay, with minimal deviations from the vanilla game. It seems like the project is in danger of succumbing to Feature Creep by trying to incorporate a large laundry list of changes before completing its primary mission. We all love the HD graphics, but there's going to be a lot less agreement on whether any other feature is a good addition or not. There will be plenty of time for those in future releases; stay focused on the really important thing, and get it done before getting distracted by other bells and whistles.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:31 pm

Elestan wrote:
dczanik wrote:We all want items that we can improve the game. Can't guarantee we'll get to them all, but if you have an item you'd like to see in the game, put it here.
Just my opinion, but what I'd like to see in v1.0 is bug-free HD graphics, at all supported resolution levels, working correctly in netplay, with minimal deviations from the vanilla game. It seems like the project is in danger of succumbing to Feature Creep by trying to incorporate a large laundry list of changes before completing its primary mission. We all love the HD graphics, but there's going to be a lot less agreement on whether any other feature is a good addition or not. There will be plenty of time for those in future releases; stay focused on the really important thing, and get it done before getting distracted by other bells and whistles.
^^This

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Elestan wrote:

lol. We're asking for improvements that they'd like to see. We've already gotten community feedback and because of that we ALREADY have both a dumbed down vanilla HD only copy of the code. and the feature rich enhanced version.

I spent 2 years working on the game and we weren't getting anybody helping us. Now we release and we get people playing armchair quarterback and lecturing me on how to work on my game. I know what I'm doing. I'll decide how I want to spend my free time. If you don't like it, you are more then welcome to modify my stuff. It's open source. :)

I'm on a business trip, so I am not able to work on the artwork. Due to the quirky nature of the engine, it would actually take more time to train artists. The programming is waiting on my artwork. Do you want the programming to stop until I get back? I think it's better I give the programmers something to do. Getting feedback from the community to see what low hanging fruit the programmers can work on until I get back just makes sense.

Let's find out how we can make it more awesome while I'm busy doing the thing that pays my bills (aka the job). :)

Cheers!
- Damon Czanik

Elestan
Hunam adventurer

Post by Elestan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:23 pm

dczanik wrote:
Elestan wrote:
Just my opinion, but what I'd like to see in v1.0 is bug-free HD graphics, at all supported resolution levels, working correctly in netplay, with minimal deviations from the vanilla game.
lol. We're asking for improvements that they'd like to see. We've already gotten community feedback and because of that we ALREADY have both a dumbed down vanilla HD only copy of the code. and the feature rich enhanced version.
I know oldlaptop is working on it, bless him for it, but I'll feel a lot better once the code bases of UQM-core and UQM-HD have been reconciled.
I'm on a business trip, so I am not able to work on the artwork. Due to the quirky nature of the engine, it would actually take more time to train artists. The programming is waiting on my artwork. Do you want the programming to stop until I get back? I think it's better I give the programmers something to do.
If you're trying to move toward getting a stable release completed, then you absolutely want the programming to stop and go into a stabilization phase, where it's bug fixes only. As long as new features are getting added, new bugs are getting added as well.
Let's find out how we can make it more awesome while I'm busy doing the thing that pays my bills (aka the job). :)
Well, for some of us, you hit maximum awesomeness the minute the HD graphics were done. It's a tremendous contribution and a hell of a lot of work, and you deserve every kudo you get for it.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 pm

dczanik wrote: lol. We're asking for improvements that they'd like to see. We've already gotten community feedback and because of that we ALREADY have both a dumbed down vanilla HD only copy of the code. and the feature rich enhanced version.
Unfortunately, we don't really have anything of the kind yet - it's very much a work in progress and there's lots of stuff in there yet that UQM wouldn't even think of merging. Hopefully some of the extra features will make it into UQM itself though, which will be helpful.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:08 am

oldlaptop wrote:
dczanik wrote: lol. We're asking for improvements that they'd like to see. We've already gotten community feedback and because of that we ALREADY have both a dumbed down vanilla HD only copy of the code. and the feature rich enhanced version.
Unfortunately, we don't really have anything of the kind yet - it's very much a work in progress and there's lots of stuff in there yet that UQM wouldn't even think of merging. Hopefully some of the extra features will make it into UQM itself though, which will be helpful.

True. I guess I should re-state it as, "we're working on it." :)
http://sourceforge.net/p/urquanmastershd/git/
- Damon Czanik