Ur-Quan Masters HD mod

An HD remake of Star Control 2. It's the full Ur-Quan Masters game but also featuring a high resolution mode, new features, & new artwork.

Moderators: dczanik, ZFP Peacekeepers

Salk
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD mod

Post by Salk » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:37 am

Well, considering dczanik has gone under the radar for over one year and that superbutcherx who had committed many fixes followed the same path, I fear there won't be a non Beta version of Ur-Quan Masters HD. A real shame, considering that superbutcherx had already done a big job with many reported issues... What a waste.

User avatar
Ogo3142
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD mod

Post by Ogo3142 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:44 am

What really needs to happen is the HD code needs to get integrated into mainline UQM. Probably it should be set up in such a way that the original sprites are still used for collisions, so that there aren't any compatibility problems with net games.

User avatar
dczanik
Ilwrath spawn
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:29 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD mod

Post by dczanik » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:06 pm

Ogo3142 wrote:What really needs to happen is the HD code needs to get integrated into mainline UQM. Probably it should be set up in such a way that the original sprites are still used for collisions, so that there aren't any compatibility problems with net games.
I'd love that. But the UQM team said they wouldn't do it, that we'd have to do it. I don't have the programmers to do it. Until we get the programmers, there's not much I can do on 6014 or UQM-HD. Sorry!
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

User avatar
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD mod

Post by Angelfish » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:18 pm

dczanik wrote:
Ogo3142 wrote:What really needs to happen is the HD code needs to get integrated into mainline UQM. Probably it should be set up in such a way that the original sprites are still used for collisions, so that there aren't any compatibility problems with net games.
I'd love that. But the UQM team said they wouldn't do it, that we'd have to do it. I don't have the programmers to do it. Until we get the programmers, there's not much I can do on 6014 or UQM-HD. Sorry!
Not interested in dabbling with this ancient code. It doesn't bring me anything really :). I'm more in favor of ditching that code altogether and using some of the techniques algorithms etc in a new project that essentially does the same but with newer tools.

User avatar
dczanik
Ilwrath spawn
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:29 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD mod

Post by dczanik » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:55 pm

Angelfish wrote:
dczanik wrote:
Ogo3142 wrote:What really needs to happen is the HD code needs to get integrated into mainline UQM. Probably it should be set up in such a way that the original sprites are still used for collisions, so that there aren't any compatibility problems with net games.
I'd love that. But the UQM team said they wouldn't do it, that we'd have to do it. I don't have the programmers to do it. Until we get the programmers, there's not much I can do on 6014 or UQM-HD. Sorry!
Not interested in dabbling with this ancient code. It doesn't bring me anything really :). I'm more in favor of ditching that code altogether and using some of the techniques algorithms etc in a new project that essentially does the same but with newer tools.
I'd love that too. The engine is 25 years old. It could use a re-write, but nobody is making a new engine either.

We got a little of that in Eventuality, but it's not finished. It's also a vast departure of the original.

New engine or old engine. I still need programmers to do it.

User avatar
Ogo3142
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD mod

Post by Ogo3142 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:20 am

Rewriting the whole engine from scratch would almost certainly be much more difficult than integrating the HD code into mainline UQM.

Salk
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD mod

Post by Salk » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:16 am

It is nice to see you here again, dczanik.

Would it be wrong to release a new version with those fixes you have implemented so far, in case you think there won't be any more work done?

I fear that the progress made over the Beta version is going to be lost and never experienced by the community. And that would be a real shame. The bug counter has shown that much has been done since the latest release, after all.

Thanks!

User avatar
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD mod

Post by Angelfish » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:11 pm

Ogo3142 wrote:Rewriting the whole engine from scratch would almost certainly be much more difficult than integrating the HD code into mainline UQM.
I wasn't talking about easy vs difficult. The code itself is ancient and working on it gains you not much professionally in terms of learning techniques that are still applicable today. Better off using newer techniques and that also makes it more maintainable by people new to the scene.

User avatar
Ogo3142
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD mod

Post by Ogo3142 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:13 am

Why do all that work all over again if you're going to get the same game, though? C is not a deprecated language or anything like that. UQM will still be compilable for the foreseeable future, and the source code is available under the GNU GPL. There is no reason whatsoever to not use it.

I would understand if you were talking about making an entirely new game similar to Star Control II but different, but that's not what we're talking about here.

User avatar
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD mod

Post by Angelfish » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:54 am

Ogo3142 wrote:Why do all that work all over again if you're going to get the same game, though? C is not a deprecated language or anything like that. UQM will still be compilable for the foreseeable future, and the source code is available under the GNU GPL. There is no reason whatsoever to not use it.

I would understand if you were talking about making an entirely new game similar to Star Control II but different, but that's not what we're talking about here.
C isn't deprecated, the way you access the graphics card, physics programming, 3d programming, sound design etc etc etc is. It doesn't bring me anything to work on that code except making UQM HD (not to mention it's not fun for me to do so), after that I can't use the experience to make other games. THat's the thing.
But if you want to do it go ahead ;).

Post Reply