First human contact with aliens.

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Re: First human contact with aliens.

Post by Dabir » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:40 pm

It probably won't matter, as long as humanity as a whole is clever enough to listen to Stephen Hawking, who'd rather we didn't make contact with aliens cause they're likely to all be assholes. He is of the belief that they'll all be in roaming starships, having stripped their own planets of resources and looking for other unsuspecting rubes to do the same to. Possibly a little over-optimistic of him there.

sedodes
Hunam adventurer

Post by sedodes » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:39 am

Eth wrote:Even funnier would be to reply, "butt-plug," to everything their say.
I prefer not to use someone else's shtick
Dabir wrote:It probably won't matter, as long as humanity as a whole is clever enough to listen to Stephen Hawking, who'd rather we didn't make contact with aliens cause they're likely to all be assholes. He is of the belief that they'll all be in roaming starships, having stripped their own planets of resources and looking for other unsuspecting rubes to do the same to. Possibly a little over-optimistic of him there.
I'd have to disagree the the H man here. A civilization sufficiently advanced to achieve interstellar travel and move enough materials and manpower (alienpower?) to conquer populated alien worlds would most likely have to had achieved peace amongst its own populace and therefore have a certain level of compassion for living beings in general. From a purely scientific standpoint, sure, an entire alien race of plunderers is certainly feasible as scavengers tend to be some of the most successful organisms. Once you toss in a sociological analysis it doesn't really seem like it adds up... never know, though, an alien Hitler could be out there looking at us as the equivalent of jews.

A more likely scenario is that the first alien life that we encounter (or which encounters us) won't even be intelligent.
It may have even evolved for survival in space by "feeding" on something fairly common throughout the universe. I'd imagine some extremeophile microbes which "eat" some elements or compounds vital to human existence could just happen into our biosphere and that's the end of us. Just look at how many microbes there are on Earth, sort out how many are dangerous to human life (or life in general, as too big an impact on the food chain could wipe us out), then realize how many millions of years of a head start they have on multicellular life. Just for fun, also consider how much more quickly they evolve and reproduce.

Perhaps some space bacteria that metabolizes chlorophyll and goes into a dormant state at near-0-K is floating around out there, having eaten the green life off of countless planets. Galactus could be microscopic.

But don't worry guys, if there's an anus on 'em I'm on the job!
The most important thing to realize in life is that anyone can justify anything.

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:52 am

Dabir wrote:It probably won't matter, as long as humanity as a whole is clever enough to listen to Stephen Hawking, who'd rather we didn't make contact with aliens cause they're likely to all be assholes. He is of the belief that they'll all be in roaming starships, having stripped their own planets of resources and looking for other unsuspecting rubes to do the same to. Possibly a little over-optimistic of him there.
So...you're saying Stephen Hawking really liked the movie 'Independence Day'?
Awesome.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:19 am

IMO, we would probably deviate from the traditional speculation and we, in fact, would happen across the aliens, instead of the opposite. We would probably encounter some sort of insentient "Alien" wild life on a distant planet when we develop space travel enough. If we do come across sentient Xeno life, chances are that they would be more technologically advanced then us humans. And with technological advancement comes cultural advancement, which would mean peace and unification. In other words, they would be friendly and they would at least encourage us to be the same.

However, if they do turn out to be malevolent...
sedodes wrote:If there's an anus on 'em I'm on the job!
This should be all the comfort we need >:D-smf
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

sedodes
Hunam adventurer

Post by sedodes » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:28 am

Nuclear wrote:And with technological advancement comes cultural advancement, which would mean peace and unification. In other words, they would be friendly and they would at least encourage us to be the same.
This isn't automatically true. The Roman empire was incredibly technologically advanced compared to its counterparts and went so far as to take technology and ideas that were more advanced than their own and adopt them via brutal conquest. Also, during a large chunk of WWII Nazi Germany was probably the most technologically advanced nation in the world. Look at the surnames of some of the greatest physicists of the era. Even after the U.S. had adopted scores of German scientists they were STILL on par to develop nuclear weapons before America, and it's only due to luck and bombing of non-military installations that they were stopped. Just remember that Germany is only the bad guys because they lost. America is (arguably) the most technologically advanced nation in the world right now, and we just love to kill us some funny-talking brown people with all of that technology.
However, if they do turn out to be malevolent...
sedodes wrote:If there's an anus on 'em I'm on the job!
This should be all the comfort we need >:D-smf
Damn skippy. And you can bet ALL your Earthling cheeseburgers that I'll go DEEP on those bastards just for you, Nuclear.
The most important thing to realize in life is that anyone can justify anything.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:27 pm

sedodes wrote:Just remember that Germany is only the bad guys because they lost.
Well, that and the horrific atrocities, but hey. You notice nobody gets all that upset at them for WW1 anymore.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:13 pm

Draxas wrote:Well, that and the horrific atrocities, but hey. You notice nobody gets all that upset at them for WW1 anymore.
Well in WW1 they were basically just a typical annoying European state, but then they got an upgrade of some sort in WW2 and turned out real nasty. Maybe the aliens made them do it?

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:13 pm

I'm certain there's at least one and probably more than one 'Hitler was an Alien' conspiracy theorist out there. I think that's kind of unfortunate, because it glosses over the terrible things that people can conceive of all on their own without any help (or any excuse).

cymon
Hunam adventurer

Post by cymon » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:54 pm

sedodes wrote:
Eth wrote:Even funnier would be to reply, "butt-plug," to everything their say.
I prefer not to use someone else's shtick
That would not have been half as amusing if the folks on the other end had understood, at any point, what he was saying.

Say a discussion about Stephen Hawking's take on aliens just yesterday and decided to stir the pot a bit. Unfortunately I'm coming to realize that lockergnome doesn't do much in the way of discussion in the comments. So I'll re-quote it here (edited) and see what you guys think. The last paragraph of the quote pretty much sums it up:
The scientific community, at large, is cast as promoting a godless universe (ipso facto: The line in that gif that belief in evolution is good, but belief in God is bad). However the consequence of that assertion is if natural evolution occurs as we understand it that any alien species likely evolved on a different planet with different gravity and different radiation from a different sun filtering through a different atmosphere. You can mathematically bank on the fact that they won’t have two hands, two feet, and a head with two eyes, a nose and a mouth. And don’t give me that “the human form is the best form and evolution tends towards the best.” Bull. No, evolution picks what happens to work and then optimizes that, but there are an infinity of other branching evolutionary paths if you look at our environment alone, never mind if you change the chemical make up of the starting variables.

Chances are they will be so alien to us on every level that we might not even recognize them as life, nor likely them us. And if they are open enough to recognize us as life and have the technology to bridge the considerable communication gap between us and them they will likely be able to communicate all creatures on our planet, not just the clothed hominids. And quite frankly it’s a frightening idea. What will they think of our aloofness and elitism, our refusal to accept the beast as our equal? And don’t think going vegetarian is the way to get on their good side. What if they’re a horticultural life form (like the suppox)? Or somehow mineral based (like the Chenjesu), or perhaps even light based (I have a theory about the Melnorme)? Think of it, a biology based on light waves. How in the world would we communicate with an intelligent shade of blue? (42)

On the other hand if Mr J. Gray Alien steps out of his flying saucer with two eyes that perceive a spectrum of radiation like our on one head and raises one of his two arms in a gesture of greeting, communicating through the modulation of airwaves like we do, if we are able to conveniently communicate with a visiting alien race that will be the ultimate proof of Gods existence. Intelligent, guided design is the only thing that could account for enough this level of shocking similarity, proof that the atheistic scientific community will have been wrong this whole time. At least as far as God is concerned.
I've got a science fiction world all drawn up. Literally, I've got a sketchbook with ideas, drawings, and story. In this universe kind of like the universe built from evolution it is rare to have 2 species of similar biology, even less compatible biology (so half human/half vulcans are right out). However, in this universe every advanced race out there seems to us highly religious, but that's just because they have developed a personal relationship with their god. In this universe God is real, tho it's a polytheistic universe, each species has their own diety, and they are just as real. But one of the reasons why we've never been elevated from our sphere, why we're not flying around in space with younger races, is our popular suborn disbelief in God.

I don't know, I think it's a pretty funny idea.

sedodes
Hunam adventurer

Post by sedodes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:10 am

Keep in mind that other, more advanced races may not have evolved in a way which uses technology as we understand it. We're a rather young species in a rather old galaxy insofar as we understand, so perhaps our reliance on non-organic technologies is actually a limitation rather than a boon - as can be seen, coexistence with one's environment is crucial to long-term survival and to date we're just beginning to take baby steps towards preserving our own. In theory a species that has evolved over billions of years as opposed to our thousands would have had ample opportunity to cultivate (in every sense) purely organic technologies which use applications of physics and biology we can't interpret with our current understandings. Could an entire star system be sentient on a level we can't fathom, and we merely comparable to bacteria? If so, how are we interpreted as we damage the planet we reside on? For whatever reason anything exists, it's as part of a greater mechanism - the only question is the scope of that mechanism.

In any event a space faring race capable of inter-system travel, malevolent or not, would be easily able to detect us even if we weren't trying to contact them. We're now detecting extrasolar planets regularly and we haven't even managed manned travel to any others in our own system (the moon isn't a planet). Detection is so much easier than travel that it's laughable to think that someone else ISN'T aware of Earth even if they can't contact us.

It's also a possibility that we're nearing the apex of scientific understanding insofar as physics. Maybe there is no theory of everything, speed of light is the absolute maximum speed at which anything can travel, and "wormholes" don't exist In which case we're pretty much boned when it comes to leaving our solar system unless we want to commit an unimaginable amount of resources into a generation ship (assuming no massive advances in cryogenics or stasis are achievable). This may very well be our fishbowl, with an untold number of other fishbowls scattered about the universe.

I guess my point is that if they want to come eat us up they will, but not before I plunge a part of my body into a cavity of theirs'.