What are you eating?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: What are you eating?

Post by Lukipela » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:34 pm

Draxas wrote:Wait, what? Those are supposed to be rice noodles, I think!
Not if you're making proper Bird's nest Soup.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Thu May 20, 2010 5:42 pm

Tonight it's Hell pizza for dinner. Yum. Authentic it is not, but tasty it most certainly is. Most of you probably won't have heard of it, being stuck in shit countries, but I would recommend it if you get the chance.

Do people have their own favourite pizza chains, or do ye prefer the real stuff?

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu May 20, 2010 6:11 pm

It varies. Local "pizza" restaurant around here are a weird form of fast food, they sell pizza and kebab. Actual pizza restaurants are usually great, but I don't look down my nose at the chains either. There is something to be said for knowing what you're getting beforehand.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Fri May 21, 2010 1:30 am

After many surveys of people from both Italy and other countries, I have concluded that there is no "authentic" pizza. Pizza is basically leftovers sprinkled on dough, and therefor has no ideal form.

That said, my opinion is that The Famous Ray's Pizza in New York City is the finest I've ever eaten. It typifies New York-style pizza.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Fri May 21, 2010 1:54 am

The best pizza I have ever eaten was in Snta-Clara's branch of Chicago Pizza. I have had the "untouchables".
It was over a year ago when I have been on my previous vendor class, and I still remember it :)
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Fri May 21, 2010 8:48 am

Eth wrote:After many surveys of people from both Italy and other countries, I have concluded that there is no "authentic" pizza. Pizza is basically leftovers sprinkled on dough, and therefor has no ideal form.
I was pretty disappointed by some of the pizza in Rome - it was a lot more like what I would call "foccacia" and it was very bland. Basically, limited toppings on dry bread. And who the fuck puts potatoes on a pizza? That's a whole week's worth of carbs in one meal.

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Fri May 21, 2010 11:01 am

Bleeding Star wrote:
Eth wrote:After many surveys of people from both Italy and other countries, I have concluded that there is no "authentic" pizza. Pizza is basically leftovers sprinkled on dough, and therefor has no ideal form.
I was pretty disappointed by some of the pizza in Rome - it was a lot more like what I would call "foccacia" and it was very bland. Basically, limited toppings on dry bread.
I remember the pizza I had in Rome was very much a working mans food. Admittedly I was on a fairly tight budget and not eating at restaurants so I might not have had a good sample set.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Fri May 21, 2010 12:42 pm

Well, that's what pizza is in Italy. Regular everyday food. I love italian pizza, thin crust with just some tomato sauce and sparse toppings.

Outside Italy pizza is more of a pizza pie deal, which makes sense. It'd be hard to market it if it was the same. Not a bad thing really, but almost a completely different dish, covered in cheese and toppings.

And I love pan pizza, which is the antithesis of italian pizza. Stuff in between can be good, but is often meh.

What is everyones position on turkey? I found it quite dry and boring when I lived in Ireland. Especially the dish "Turkey and Ham" which is disgusting. Have I only been served bad turkey?

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri May 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Having grown up in New Jersey, where you can barely go one block without seeing a great little pizza place, I have become a horrible pizza snob. I have no appreciation for any type other than New York style, and have found that as you get further from New York City and north / central Jersey, the pizza gets worse and worse. It's to the point where I find it almost inedible in Pennsylvania and Connecticut (CT's "New Haven style" pizza is particularly nasty, and not being able to find good pizza in PA makes me a sad panda). Then again, it's not just me. My wife grew up in central PA, not having had proper New York style pizza until she had a reason to come into NJ regularly (AKA, we met). Since then, she's become almost as bad as I have with the pizza snobbery, because pizza in PA really does suck that much.

I consider pizza chains (Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, etc.) to be an assault on the senses (especially taste), and to have no redeeming virtues whatsoever. I can't fathom how these places even stay in business in NY and NJ, but I guess lots of folks really do have no taste.

And Luki, I am sorry to say that you have only had turkey made by someone who doesn't know how to properly prepare it. When done right, it is moist and delicious. Of course, combining it with ham is a recipe for disaster; who thought that was a good idea?

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Fri May 21, 2010 5:37 pm

Yeah, I have turkey once or twice a year (it's the traditional main course during the American Thanksgiving holiday) and have found it to be good when done right. It's a bit difficult to prepare correctly due to the sheer size of the bird.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm currently eating a cinnamon-raisin bagel and drinking some pekoe tea.