What are you eating?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Re: What are you eating?

Post by Fossaman » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:22 pm

*Pokes Luki to fix that last quote tag*
While I have eaten duck before, it was for Christmas, not Easter. Didn't really care for it. I suspect that it was a lean duck.

On the other hand, I once ate rice cooked with duck fat. Dang but that stuff was tasty.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:16 pm

Lukipela wrote: You should ask me why we eat eggs for Christmas though, that's quite interesting as well.
Please, Lukipela, enlighten us!
Duck? Is that common on the emerald island?

EDIT: Also, welcome to the new forum.
Not as far as I can tell: it was the first time I'd seen it in the supermarket. Maybe it's traditional for Easter as well. Thanks for the welcome.
Fossaman wrote:On the other hand, I once ate rice cooked with duck fat. Dang but that stuff was tasty.
I've heard that too. Roast potatoes with duck fat is supposed to be pretty awesome as well.

Currently experimenting with Sri Lankan curries, having got hold of some roasted curry powder. Fish and tomato curry good, leeks less so. Will have to experiment more.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:33 pm

Fossaman wrote:*Pokes Luki to fix that last quote tag*
I don't recall doing anything but I can't see a broken tag in my last post...
Bleeding Star wrote:Please, Lukipela, enlighten us!
Well since you ask so nicely. Can't vouch for the validity but the guy who told me is a farmer so he should know. Anyway, apparently it's not natural for birds to lay egg in winter. Weird, eh? It's like they think their eggs are good for anything but food. Even chickens have this fatal flaw despite being bred to be egg machines.. So back in the bad old days of ecological chickens living in chicken coops, you'd stop getting eggs sometime late in autumn. Imagine that, an eggless winter. Anyway in spring you'd obviously have the opposite effect and around march or so the little tykes would start popping out oval goodness again. But there was a catch. The 40 days before Easter, know what they are? Those are Lent, or whatever you call it in English. The time when you eat plain and simple food because God wants you to reflect on how damned good you have it otherwise. It wouldn't be proper to eat eggs during that time.

And then along comes Easter. You haven't had eggs since autumn. The chicken coop is overflowing with a months egg production. And finally, you're allowed to eat the damned things! So it turns into a big deal.

Of course, it isn't any more since people don't fast and chickens are kept in light all through winter, so we have eggs all the time. So we made them chocolate and started gorging ourselves on them long before fast/lent is over. A fitting way to remember to be thankful for the abundance we have, sticking more chocolate in our grubby little mouths.

Smoke353
Turnip Farmer

Post by Smoke353 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:15 pm

Bleeding Star wrote:Not as far as I can tell: it was the first time I'd seen it in the supermarket. Maybe it's traditional for Easter as well. Thanks for the welcome.
It is, in fact. I have had duck for easter several times.
I was here.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:37 am

As of a couple days ago I got basically free reign over the sandwiches in my lunch.
Wednesday: Peanut butter and marmite, a classic
Yesterday: Peanut butter and banana, delicious
Today: Cheese and marmite and beef

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:57 am

Eauch. The first two sound awful, though I may be somewhat biased as I am allergic to peanuts. The last option sounds intriguing, though I'm concerned you may have a salt overload.
Dabir wrote:As of a couple days ago I got basically free reign over the sandwiches in my lunch.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:02 pm

Dabir wrote:As of a couple days ago I got basically free reign over the sandwiches in my lunch.

Once you finish doing all that art I demand of you without any compensation, I'm going to hunt you down for crimes against sandwichkind. The last one sounds cool though.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:15 pm

And it was, a real pukka meal that. Marmite worked well with the cheese as always, the cheese went surprisingly well with the beef and the whole thing blended nicely into a sort of cheesy beefy marmitey flavour.

On an unrelated note, the bird's nest you get with chinese takeaways round here is revolting. I don't know whether it's actual bird spit or just potatoes but either way that shit is nasty.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Dabir wrote:On an unrelated note, the bird's nest you get with chinese takeaways round here is revolting. I don't know whether it's actual bird spit or just potatoes but either way that shit is nasty.
Wait, what? Those are supposed to be rice noodles, I think!

Rider
Not Ride Her

Post by Rider » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:47 pm

Right now I'm eating a Lion.

Roar.
Hehe, that's what I said!