sedodes active?! What gives?!

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Re: sedodes active?! What gives?!

Post by kingschosen » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:19 pm

Edit:

Never mind. I decided to play nice.

Smoke353
Turnip Farmer

Post by Smoke353 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:59 pm

I find myself in the unusual position of agreeing with Zeracles here.
I was here.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:44 pm

kingschosen wrote: Let's say you wake up in a dark room. You cannot see anything but darkness. You cannot hear anything besides yourself. You also have no recollection of life up until the moment you woke up.

So, there are no previous stimuli affecting your choices. Currently, you have only one stimulus: a dark silent room.

What is your most natural reaction?
Funnily enough, and I suspect this is the answer you're looking for, my first reaction would be to scrabble around and find a damn stimulus so I can react to the damn thing.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:28 am

Kingschosen and Sedodes: this is absolutely foolish. You are enaging in one of the classic irreconcilable philosophical debates, and insulting each other over which side you've decided to start swinging for. The is just free will vs. determinism. Now, take a deep breath, understand that neither of you can possibly prove your point definitively, and try to have a reasonable discussion.

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:03 am

Out of respect for Eth, I'm discontinuing this conversation.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:13 am

Angelfish wrote:Mine would be to consider the likeliness of being eaten by a grue.
I think its the Wumpus we should be more concerned about....
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

sedodes
Hunam adventurer

Post by sedodes » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:50 am

... and in this thread we see why I stopped being active. Thanks zeracles and kingschosen for reminding me. You too, mods, for allowing two of the most useless members ever to shit up my thread. Next time, can you simply delete their crap? Hell, feel free to do it this time... that or give me an ignore function for the love of god.

BTW, Zeracles, I'm simply assuming you wrote something completely idiotic as you've proven your inability to do otherwise time and time again. Feel free to write more, I won't read it (yet again) and I'm certain you'll just make yourself look obsessed with having the last word and internet dick waving as you've always been.

I'm not arguing free will vs. determinism. I'm saying that everything is influenced by stimuli. In the case of thoughts and decisions how you interpret the stimuli is entirely up to you but it exists in all circumstances whether it be internal or external, immediate or accumulated. What is being argued is more akin to spontaneous generation, which is just retarded as a concept for all but the most deeply religious.
The most important thing to realize in life is that anyone can justify anything.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:00 am

sedodes wrote:... and in this thread we see why I stopped being active. Thanks zeracles
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
kingschosen wrote:Let's say you wake up in a dark room. You cannot see anything but darkness. You cannot hear anything besides yourself. You also have no recollection of life up until the moment you woke up.

So, there are no previous stimuli affecting your choices. Currently, you have only one stimulus: a dark silent room.

What is your most natural reaction?
I think this situation calls for advanced spatial perception . . .
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:01 am

sedodes wrote:I'm saying that everything is influenced by stimuli. In the case of thoughts and decisions how you interpret the stimuli is entirely up to you but it exists in all circumstances whether it be internal or external, immediate or accumulated.
Do you read fantasy at all? R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series is quite closely concerned with the response of people to stimuli, both conscious and unconscious. You might like it. Or maybe hate it.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:52 pm

sedodes wrote:... and in this thread we see why I stopped being active. Thanks zeracles and kingschosen for reminding me.
In that other topique your explanation is different..?
You too, mods, for allowing two of the most useless members ever to shit up my thread. Next time, can you simply delete their crap? Hell, feel free to do it this time... that or give me an ignore function for the love of god.
<insert emo smiley>
BTW, Zeracles, I'm simply assuming you wrote something completely idiotic as you've proven your inability to do otherwise time and time again. Feel free to write more, I won't read it (yet again) and I'm certain you'll just make yourself look obsessed with having the last word and internet dick waving as you've always been.

I'm not arguing free will vs. determinism. I'm saying that everything is influenced by stimuli. In the case of thoughts and decisions how you interpret the stimuli is entirely up to you but it exists in all circumstances whether it be internal or external, immediate or accumulated. What is being argued is more akin to spontaneous generation, which is just retarded as a concept for all but the most deeply religious.
Sometimes, when everybody hurts..