Hey everyone!

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Zarnium
Silly Supox

Re: Hey everyone!

Post by Zarnium » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:18 am

Dyandod wrote:The original version of the game had some dialogue that was taken out in the UQM version:

The pertinent passage goes as follows
`... demise, It(!) basks in yellow light within the eight star constellation of Linch-Nas-Ploh.'
We have translated `Linch-Nas-Ploh' to mean approximately
`the snake-like creature who has swallowed the elephantine beast.'
I am afraid this is all that I know.
I hope it is sufficient.
That passage is in UQM, but I could never figure out how it relates to Delta Lyncis. Unless the whole translation part is red herring, and the only pertinent information is the part about a yellow star in a group of eight. Which is still maddeningly nonspecific :-X-smf .

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:46 am

connect the dots on the relevant constellation.

Zarnium
Silly Supox

Post by Zarnium » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:47 pm

But there's no "Lynch-Nas-Ploh" constellation, and it doesn't sound anything like a real constellation.

Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:58 pm

I believe Death 999 is referring to the snake-like creature swallowing a beast part of the passage, and telling you to literally connect the dots on the map. The relevant constellation in question being the Lyncis constellation.

Zarnium
Silly Supox

Post by Zarnium » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:01 pm

Ah. Well, I just found out that the original release of SCII came with a printed starmap with all the constellations connected, so it was more obvious. Now it makes some sense.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:01 pm

Yes. That starmap is kitten-huffing important. It tells you where to find nearly everyone, especially giving you your only clue as to the homeworlds of the Ilwrath and the Chenjesu, and providing a hint of the Druuge and Thraddash. I think it also hints at the ZFP, but they find you early enough it doesn't really matter.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:04 am

The first time I played, I didn't have the map and I thought it was kind of fun to accidentally run into aliens you hadn't met before like the VUX. It made it feel more like you were exploring a new universe instead of reading an already established map. (Of course, I lost the first time I played... I wish there was some sort of medium between starmap and no starmap)
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:44 am

Personally, I'm glad I didn't have the map the first time. I think that adding it removes some mystery. Sure, it is more difficult, but Hayes gives you a lot of info in the beginning to help you, like where the Chenjesu homeworld is.
A map with just constellations would be good for me.

Edit: I realise that this would give no clue about the Ilwrath homeworld. So, the map would need some clue to that. I just wish that there was a mention in game to it.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:11 pm

But the starmap that came with the game is common knowledge. It's stuff the character would know. It's not like the Tobermoon wouldn't have a starmap with the locations of known races on it.

In the SW quadrant of the map, you aren't exploring. At least, if you are it's because you didn't bother to read up.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:29 pm

We, as Captain Zelnick, are supposed to know a lot about the area, but it's more fun if we don't.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!