Hey everyone!

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

NSF
Er, we mean

Hey everyone!

Post by NSF » Fri May 31, 2013 10:24 pm

I'm not entirely sure where else to put this, since there's no introductions section but.. hello! I actually stumbled across this game while looking at freeware games. I actually have been watching a long walkthrough for it lately. I have to say the universe is very elaborate. xD My favourite race would have to be the Supox, because come on, who doesn't like alien plants? Well, this looks like a fun site! Never realised so many people were into this game. o:
銀河と星を見にいつか宇宙へ飛びたいです。

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Re: Hey everyone!

Post by chenjesuwizard » Fri May 31, 2013 10:56 pm

Welcome to the SCDB! It's great to see you here!

Have you played the game? or have you just watched the walkthrough? If you only watched the walkthrough I recommend you play the game. It's free online: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php.

Seriously, you'll have a much more enjoyable time playing it than watching it.

NSF
Er, we mean

Post by NSF » Fri May 31, 2013 11:54 pm

Thanks for the welcome! Erm.. I feel like I'd be dying quite a few times playing the game. xD
銀河と星を見にいつか宇宙へ飛びたいです。

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:22 am

We don't care. We're going to make you play it.

But really, welcome!
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

NSF
Er, we mean

Post by NSF » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:39 am

Hmm, at this point, I'm thinking of giving it a shot! The mineral gathering seems so tedious though, hehe. Also, I notice some of the people here are artists?
銀河と星を見にいつか宇宙へ飛びたいです。

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:10 am

NSF wrote:The mineral gathering seems so tedious though, hehe.
If this does turn you away from the game, we would be interested in hearing that as well - feedback like this might just motivate someone to fix what could be the game's most prominent flaw. I personally suspect that it turns away at least 95% who try the game, potentially allowing (as morbid as this sounds) the terminal attrition of this community.
NSF wrote:Also, I notice some of the people here are artists?
I count one, two, and some others.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Zarnium
Silly Supox

Post by Zarnium » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:32 pm

Welcome! It's always great to see a new potential fan! Even if mineral gathering seems boring to you, there's plenty else to keep you occupied in Star Control II. As you mentioned, it has a very elaborate universe.

Some things to consider:

1. Before starting the game, I'd recommend reading the introduction short story from the manual. It's not necessary, but it does have some story information that's not in the game that will help you understand it better.

2. Watch out for spoilers. No spoilers here are unmarked, so until you play the game, it would probably be wise to stay out of any story discussions ;)-smf.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:05 pm

With resource-gathering, it helps to be picky.

Don't mine for anything less valuable than rare earths, and don't go down to planets that have too heavy weather (Lv 3-4). Tectonics you can learn to deal with at level 5 if you're not also hunting for animals. Watch the fuel consumption per trip to the surface.

Don't kit out your flagship for war until you have the technology to make it a powerhouse. Sell any useless ships or modules - selling is lossless!

Don't fight unless it's profitable or necessary.

Keep track of what you know and go only where you need to go. You should know the information on the starmap that came with the original game.

Do all that and you will not need to spend too long mining.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Good advice, but you just ruined the experiment ;)-smf

And maybe I can ruin it more. If you're okay with melee (practice outside the adventure game) and have a certain fast ship acquired in the early game, attacking your enemies (one in particular) can be pretty lucrative.

Unfortunately, most new players aren't clued up this way, get bored and abandon the game.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:03 pm

Zeracles wrote:Good advice, but you just ruined the experiment ;)-smf
That's hardly spoilery - I gave some very general advice that mostly overlaps with the really helpful stuff that Hayes says that few people ever read/listen to because they want to get to the game. The main part I added is helping interpret the weather and tectonic classes.

Oh yeah - don't go places that are too much hotter than boiling water.