ASCIIpOrtal

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: ASCIIpOrtal

Post by Lukipela » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:41 pm

cymon wrote: It's just I thought everyone knew what a roguelike was, and by extension what a 7DRL was. I mean roguelikes are... they're everywhere. And they're awesome.
I looked under my couch and I didn't find one. The grocery store didn't have one either. And there's been nothing about them on television. AFAIK they haven't even been mentioned on Penny Arcade. So your everywhere is a pretty small space. ;)
cymon wrote:I just hope that I've opened your eyes to a whole new world of game-play experiences.
Yeah, I'll certainly look into them, sounds interesting.

Sage
Wise and Ancient Soul

Post by Sage » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:55 pm

One game which might be interesting would be ROM CHECK FAIL. It is a mish mash of several different popular old school games. Apparently this was coded over a three week timespan for a competition. Don't know if this precisely fits in the scheme of "roguelike", but it's definitely a fun little independent title that was made in a short time.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:17 pm

Dorf Fortress is a roguelike, at least in Adventure Mode, so chances are you have heard of one if not the term. We've mentioned it on this very board, after all, and I think the term roguelike was used around it at some point. 7DRL, however, struck me as obscure too; I'd never heard of the idea.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:49 am

Nor have I, though I've been a fan of roguelikes ever since... well, Rogue, actually. I get the feeling it's only a well known term in the programming community.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:16 pm

Dabir wrote:Dorf Fortress is a roguelike, at least in Adventure Mode, so chances are you have heard of one if not the term. We've mentioned it on this very board, after all, and I think the term roguelike was used around it at some point. 7DRL, however, struck me as obscure too; I'd never heard of the idea.
oh yeah, I've seen that around here. Never been tempted to try it out though, but maybe I should.

cymon
Hunam adventurer

Post by cymon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Lukipela wrote:
Dabir wrote:Dwarf Fortress is a roguelike, at least in Adventure Mode, so chances are you have heard of one if not the term. We've mentioned it on this very board, after all, and I think the term roguelike was used around it at some point. 7DRL, however, struck me as obscure too; I'd never heard of the idea.
oh yeah, I've seen that around here. Never been tempted to try it out though, but maybe I should.
I'm not temped to try it out. Huge learning curve and life engulfing power, eh, my life's already engulfed.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:17 pm

Did you just respell Dorf as Dwarf? Or is there something wrong with our word filter?

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:40 am

"Dorf" is a bit of an in-jokey term used among the DF fanbase, mainly stemming from some of the absolutely insane bits of artificial stupidity the game occasionally indulges in. So no, you're not seeing things, nor is there a busted word filter.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:39 am

But in cymon's quoting of lukipela's quoting me 'Dorf' has turned back into 'Dwarf'.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:05 pm

Which just means someone is playing mind games with all of us. ;)