ASCIIpOrtal

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

cymon
Hunam adventurer

ASCIIpOrtal

Post by cymon » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:26 am

So for those who were not aware, one of the reasons I kinda dropped off activity here was this:

ASCIIpOrtal.

Gotta get on the next version, but for now there's lots there to enjoy. It's self promoting, but hey, everyone seems to like it.

Rider
Not Ride Her

Re: ASCIIpOrtal

Post by Rider » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:21 am

Hehe, that looks pretty awesome! I'll add that to my 'todo' list :D
Hehe, that's what I said!

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:54 pm

cymon wrote:Gotta get on the next version, but for now there's lots there to enjoy. It's self promoting, but hey, everyone seems to like it.
I hereby grant you special dispension from whatever rule disallows self-promotion (if we have one and I'm not just making it up) because while I don't understand exactly what that is, I can tell it's pretty cool. When is the SC themed version coming out? ;)

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Lukipela wrote:
cymon wrote:Gotta get on the next version, but for now there's lots there to enjoy. It's self promoting, but hey, everyone seems to like it.
I hereby grant you special dispension from whatever rule disallows self-promotion (if we have one and I'm not just making it up) because while I don't understand exactly what that is, I can tell it's pretty cool. When is the SC themed version coming out? ;)
"The Cloaking device is a lie" ;)

cymon
Hunam adventurer

Post by cymon » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:52 pm

Lukipela wrote:
I don't know about a text based star control, tho a stealth based 7DRL based on a spathi trying to pilot his ship while avoiding aliens that have boarded his ship...
Level 2 could be he's been drawn away to a Syreen ship, wakes up, and has to avoid detection there. Level 3 now he's an Ur-Quan battle thrall. All around him the ship is blowing up as it takes damage and he's trying not to be the crew member lost.

Actually, star control themed 7drls has a lot of potential.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:49 pm

7drlwhatnow? I'm not going to google it, but it sounds confusing.

Megagun
Salesman

Post by Megagun » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment. ... title=7DRL

Also, compiling with NO-SDL doesn't work for me, somehow... Getting segfaults after applying some random patch..

cymon
Hunam adventurer

Post by cymon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:04 pm

Megagun wrote:http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment. ... title=7DRL

Also, compiling with NO-SDL doesn't work for me, somehow... Getting segfaults after applying some random patch..
Yeeeeeah, I didn't really test that well. Or at all. it worked at one point, but then I put stuff in that kinda broke it. Sorry about hat.
Lukipela wrote:7drlwhatnow? I'm not going to google it, but it sounds confusing.
Seriously? It's a roguelike game made in 7 days. 7 Day Rogue-Like. Roguelikes are characterized by top-down turn based RPG like gameplay with procedurally generated levels, line of sight, and text based graphics, tho those rules aren't exactly stringent. There have been graphical roguelikes and real time roguelikes. Arguably Diabalo is a roguelike.

7DRLs are a challenge a programmer takes upon themselves to make a game with an arguably complex system (tho often simplified display) in a short amount of time. Stealth is an idea that the roguelike community has been playing with. A spathi RL would provide just the right opportunity to explore that, being the cowards they are.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:44 pm

cymon wrote: Seriously?
Yeah, we're not all programmers. Thanks for clarifying, it sounds interesting.

cymon
Hunam adventurer

Post by cymon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:19 pm

Lukipela wrote:
cymon wrote: Seriously?
Yeah, we're not all programmers. Thanks for clarifying, it sounds interesting.
It's just I thought everyone knew what a roguelike was, and by extension what a 7DRL was. I mean roguelikes are... they're everywhere. And they're awesome.

I just hope that I've opened your eyes to a whole new world of game-play experiences.