How NASA might build its first warp drive

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

How NASA might build its first warp drive

Post by Gekko » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:27 pm

I stumbled upon this article. To sum up, compressing space-time would allow moving faster than light within the limits of general relativity. Maybe in some decades a successful lab test works, then a few decades and we are fighting the Ur-Quan. *manly tear*
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: How NASA might build its first warp drive

Post by Death 999 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:02 pm

The thing is, they're still talking about tons of exotic matter being made persistently - for days.

So far as I know, there's no way of getting more energy into exotic matter than Planck's constant divided by the amount of time you want it for. And you need to surround it with lots and lots of regular, non-exotic matter, which would completely wipe out the effect this is based on.

For comparison, one ton day of exotic matter is 7.4 * 10^58 times Planck's constant.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: How NASA might build its first warp drive

Post by Angelfish » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:00 am

Gekko wrote:I stumbled upon this article. To sum up, compressing space-time would allow moving faster than light within the limits of general relativity. Maybe in some decades a successful lab test works, then a few decades and we are fighting the Ur-Quan. *manly tear*
What do you mean, a few decades and we are fighting the Ur-Quan? We'll be fighting them any way either way, whether we develop warp capability or not ;(.