What kind of music are you into?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Re: What kind of music are you into?

Post by chenjesuwizard »

Interesting. I can't imagine resenting someone because they speak a different language. It's interesting how something as simple as the language that someone speaks gives people the feeling of being threatened. I guess that's just humans, bigots to our very core.

Now, I certainly understand the feeling of being resented. Being Bisexual (which I am, if you didn't know), I have had my fair share of being heckled, attacked (well, only twice) and broken up with (quite a few girls find it unsettling) because of my sexuality. So I understand it being unsettling. When you were in Finland, did it affect you a lot or did you just ignore it?

Oh, and not to go off course too much. I love this song:
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear »

chenjesuwizard wrote:Interesting. I can't imagine resenting someone because they speak a different language. It's interesting how something as simple as the language that someone speaks gives people the feeling of being threatened. I guess that's just humans, bigots to our very core.
I don't understand that hatred at all. People discrimate those who are different, but I'm not even made fun of that often for being a Goth {I'm also partially androgenous, in an aesthetic sense}. I thought all those nordic countries up there were just one happy family ???-smf . I guess I'm a little close minded to think that, since we all know humans will never be able to get along. As long as we are creatures of flesh and blood, we'll always retain our animalism.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard »

Personally, I do think that we will eventually all get along, or at least the majority will. There will always be those who discriminate, but I think (or at least I hope) that slowly things are getting better for minorities.
But then again, this could be because I live in quite a liberal area. If I lived elsewhere, I might think completely differently.
Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko »

chenjesuwizard wrote:Personally, I do think that we will eventually all get along, or at least the majority will. There will always be those who discriminate, but I think (or at least I hope) that slowly things are getting better for minorities.
But then again, this could be because I live in quite a liberal area. If I lived elsewhere, I might think completely differently.
I think that we are all already getting along. The reason we still know expressions such as racism is because of minority. If you take an average fellow from the street he probably does not hate black people (See how I assumed the person is white? :P). In regards to the Swedish-speaking-Finnish situation, I have never heard about anyone having any kind of racism towards them. Sure, we joke about them being rich aristocrats stomping us peasants all the time, but who does that hurt?

Then of course there is the minority of the minority that beat people up and make car bombs. Or destroy a skyscraper or two.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

chenjesuwizard wrote:Interesting. I can't imagine resenting someone because they speak a different language. It's interesting how something as simple as the language that someone speaks gives people the feeling of being threatened. I guess that's just humans, bigots to our very core.
Well, the english do have some vestiges of Cymrophobia left as well. Language and culture is also tied together, and in small circles small differences matter. Swedish speaking Finns and Finnish speaking Finns have a lot more in common than Finnish-speaking Finns and Russians or Swedish-Speaking Finns and Swedes, but it's the differences we focus on at times.

And as Gekko says, most people aren't overtly hostile or hateful, though minorities sometimes suffer when the majority is just uninterested or ignorant of their own strengths.
In regards to the Swedish-speaking-Finnish situation, I have never heard about anyone having any kind of racism towards them. Sure, we joke about them being rich aristocrats stomping us peasants all the time, but who does that hurt?
No offense dude but where you grew up it is really hard for anyone to show any kind of racism to a non-existent group other than otherization by joking about their stereotypes. And where you live now you're partly in the wrong social strata to see much overt racism and partly simply not noticing it as a part of the majority. When's the last time someone stared at you with a sour face because you were talking the wrong language in the S-market jono or told you that your kind should go back home to Sweden in kauppahalli?? Remember, I lived in the same town as you and I've gotten into trouble for speaking the wrong language at kauppatori several times.

And joking about those wealthy "pappa betalar" folks is affirming old stereotypes that were never true. In the same way, it doesn't technically hurt anyone who has immigrated to Sweden when the Swedes joke about how all Finns like fighting with their puukko and pissing in the streets of Stockholm, but it's still not fun to be a Finn when those jokes get repeatedly told over and over again. Because behind every joke, people assume that there is a tiny sliver of truth, affirming it. It's funny because it's true and whatever.

But er, music. Here's a cover of an old Swedish traditional song sped up and turned into a sorta rap song or something by a band from Åland.

chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard »

Ahh... the English and the Welsh. There is some, teasing and joking between Welsh and English where I am, but it's no more than just making fun of your friends. I've never witnessed actual racism though. We have quite a good relationship.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

To even things out after the Swedish music, here is a pretty old Finnish rap band that I really enjoy. I give you, Raptori.

Not an official music video or anything of course, I don't think they ever did any.
Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir »

I've just bought a CD of Japanese psych rock from my local indie record shop. Lemme emphasise that: Japanese. Psych. Rock. This should be fun.

Band: Nishinihon

Album: Nishinihon

Track list:

1. Ah dinnae wan tae do owt, ba ah still wan momey

2. Hoos the fuk that et tha rest o man schoo

3. super station

4. Ataraxia

5. Let's Zeppelin'

6. Uchida U-ya

7. Constitution of the State of Western Japan, article 14

8. Mystery-dead breaker

The back of the case has a picture of a Japanese man with a load of logs on his back and a headscarf, with a speech bubble from him saying "If you smell what Art Rock is cookin!" At the bottom of the credits it gives special thanks to "Soy bean". There's exactly one sentence I understand in the included booklet: "Stick it straight up your candyass!" That's the last sentence in the booklet and it just... I don't even know.

I quite like the music, really.
RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 »

At one time Sweden had good music:

Even my shallow ass can recognize talent when I see it.
zenzmurfy
Arilou wiseguy

Post by zenzmurfy »

I find new music from TV commercials. I hear something I like and I track it down on google or youtube.

Aside from that, I like movie/game soundtracks and dance music and disco.

Here is one of my favorites. I really like the hook on this song. Because I never hear anyone talk about this song even though LL Cool J has it in one his songs, I am hoping it is new to you.

Last edited by zenzmurfy on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.