What kind of music are you into?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: What kind of music are you into?

Post by Lukipela »

Angelfish wrote: ouch :D
Not your cup of tea? How about some Swedish sorta-rap?

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard »

Luki , you're swedish, right?
Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko »

chenjesuwizard wrote:Luki , you're swedish, right?
Finnish. He's a Swedish-speaking-Finnish, and lives in Sweden as of now. In Stockholm area I think.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear »

Gekko wrote:
Finnish. He's a Swedish-speaking-Finnish, and lives in Sweden as of now. In Stockholm area I think.
You can practically taste the viking descent :P-smf. I'm surprised I havn't heard Luki talk about E-Type at all, I thought he was pretty big in Stockholm.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Gekko wrote:
Gekko is right on target, I'm part of a minority in Finland that speaks Swedish as their first language. I only started learning finish at age 10, and though I speak it well enough to work and socialize in Finland, I'll never pass for a "proper" Finn. Here's a wiki link in case you are interested, or a blog about it from an american point of view or something I guess, possibly we're the Jews of Finland? Stay out of the comment section though, it seems to be equal amounts of crazy fennoswedes and finns, though it does sort of illustrate the tensions that exist between the majority and our minority.

Anyway, that's a derail but I'm not a moderator anymore, so who cares? I'll be happy to answer more questions if there is something you're wondering about. Such as the fact that calling one of us a Swede is a pretty big insult, but it's quite understandable that foreigners don't know anything about our petty squabbles :)
Nuclear wrote:You can practically taste the viking descent :P-smf. I'm surprised I havn't heard Luki talk about E-Type at all, I thought he was pretty big in Stockholm.
Eh, E-Type is all right but it's pretty much all the same. The stuff he did recently in the TV-show "Så mycket bättre" was pretty cool though, as well as the versions of his songs other produced. For instance, this is an E-Type Hit "Here I go again"

And this is what came out of the show from another artist.

chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard »

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult anyone, I just remembered you saying Swedish was your first language and that you lived in Stockholm. Anyway, I think my question still applies:
What did you think of the eurovision song contest winner, given that you currently live in Sweden?

Btw, interesting article. Didn't realise that Swedish speaking fins existed let alone that they were so much better than normal finns.
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear »

Lukipela wrote: Eh, E-Type is all right
Lawl, Martin Erikson is my hero, and the artist who got me into 90's Eurodance. Even his soft dance pop ballads like "You will Always Be a Part of Me" bring a tear to my eye.
Lukipela wrote:
but it's pretty much all the same.
I hear this alot from people who don't listen to alot of electronic. If you think Eurodance sounds like music out of the repetitive raver club scene, try listening to some Cybergoth genres like Psychodelic Trance or Hardcore. The variation between the songs are almost hard to spot at times, but I still love it all ;D-smf

Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

chenjesuwizard wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to insult anyone, I just remembered you saying Swedish was your first language and that you lived in Stockholm. Anyway, I think my question still applies:
What did you think of the eurovision song contest winner, given that you currently live in Sweden?
It's a nice song, though I have no strong feelings about it. It's been played to death on radio here though,which is a bit sad.
Btw, interesting article. Didn't realise that Swedish speaking fins existed let alone that they were so much better than normal finns.
Well ,that's the stereotype at least.
Nuclear wrote: I hear this alot from people who don't listen to alot of electronic. If you think Eurodance sounds like music out of the repetitive raver club scene, try listening to some Cybergoth genres like Psychodelic Trance or Hardcore. The variation between the songs are almost hard to spot at times, but I still love it all ;D-smf
No, I meant all of E-type's songs are pretty much in the same style and kinda sound similar to me. Not the genre as a whole, I know very little about that.
chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard »

Do other fins really hate you?
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

It depends on the Finn, I think Gekko sort of puts up with me :)

Jokes aside, like I said I'm part of an ethnic minority. There's often tension between minority groups and the general public, since customs, languages, beliefs and so forth can be different. Minorities often have protections in law to ensure that they aren't simply extinguished by just being absorbed into the majority, which also tends to feed controversy. For instance, in most of the country, there are none of my kind, but people still have to study Swedish, which breeds resentment. In the parts of the country where we live there's a lot of migration happening from the east and north, where people who don't speak our language and refuse to learn it move in, again causing resentment among the locals. There's the Åland islands that were given to Finland at the end of WWI in exchange for a promise to protect their culture and minority status which can cause anger among people who don't know their history.

Most people are just people, and I doubt most finnish speakers hate us. but there is a lot of resentment on both sides. I've been turned down for dates, gotten into fights (when much younger) and been yelled at for speaking my language in public, though those events are outliers much more than the normal state.

But the current economic climate also inspires people to look for scapegoats, generally foreigners, black people... and us. So we'll see what happens in the next few years.