Games other than Star Control

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by glory_device » Wed May 07, 2014 6:18 pm

I recently gave a 2nd shot at diablo III and Hearthstone...Hearthstone is a fun little game to play while holding a baby.

As for DIII, blizzard were able to step the game up with patches and the expansion pack...but it is still not comparable to the fun I had with D2X. Samething happened to Starcraft II.

On another note, I dug out Ocarina of Time...DAMN YOU Water temple...DAMN you!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Wed May 07, 2014 6:19 pm

I recently gave a 2nd shot at diablo III and Hearthstone...Hearthstone is a fun little game to play while holding a baby.

As for DIII, blizzard were able to step the game up with patches and the expansion pack...but it is still not comparable to the fun I had with D2X. Samething happened to Starcraft II.

On another note, I dug out Ocarina of Time...DAMN YOU Water temple...DAMN you!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Thu May 08, 2014 10:37 am

I play A LOT of Hearthstone. Can't go past rank 15 though, too many legendaries in my opponents' decks...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Thu May 08, 2014 9:15 pm

you either pay to fast track or your just patient I guess! My highest rank was 16 so far. You can also try to focus on one class and disenchant everything else to speed things up! I didn't choose to do that tho.

I love mage warlock and rogue.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Fri May 09, 2014 6:04 pm

I'm almost done with first mission, just playing in bits a nd pieces really. Enjoying most fo the changes so far. And Triumph is an awesome studio, their other game series is Overlord, which I also quite enjoy.

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Sat May 10, 2014 2:04 am

I <3 FTL: Advanced Edition. Original FTL was really fun, and the developers recently added enough new free content that they could have easily charged for it if they wanted to. That's my favorite game at the moment.

Re: Age of Wonders 3

I'm sort of in-between on this game. Currently, the enemy AI is ruining it for me. With the random maps, the AI seems very unwilling to attack me as long as I garrison my cities moderately well. If one of my cities isn't guarded well, they magically know about that and send an army at it ASAP. So if my armies are positioned right, opponents respond by piling all of their armies into their most important cities and waiting for me to either overwhelm them or go find something else to hurt. I bet on the highest difficulty the enemy actually goes after you due to superior numbers, but I don't necessarily want maximum challenge from this game. There are other issues, but this is the one that's stopping me from playing it right now.

Angelfish wrote:I'm playing it aswell, I was/am a huge fan of its predecessor (and ofcoruse because it's made by a dutch studio)!
Though I'm kinda stuck on the 3rd campaign mission where you have to fight a dreadnought and a theocrat using theocrat goblin cities.
Those juggernaughts are simply overpowered and imbalanced versus my armies.
You need to take over fast, build up a reasonable army and start invading enemy core cities. The enemy players are pretty lax, but they sit on a huge economy that eventually leads to them drowning you in top tier units. I remember finding that particular mission really easy after I charged into the Dwarf Dreadnought's central cities around Turn 20 or so. As the campaign goes on, your heroes become stupidly powerful too, so each mission expects you to do more and more with them right off the bat. Age of Wonders 1 was a little like this, I think.

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Sat May 10, 2014 1:53 pm

Shiver wrote:I <3 FTL: Advanced Edition. Original FTL was really fun, and the developers recently added enough new free content that they could have easily charged for it if they wanted to. That's my favorite game at the moment.

Re: Age of Wonders 3

I'm sort of in-between on this game. Currently, the enemy AI is ruining it for me. With the random maps, the AI seems very unwilling to attack me as long as I garrison my cities moderately well. If one of my cities isn't guarded well, they magically know about that and send an army at it ASAP. So if my armies are positioned right, opponents respond by piling all of their armies into their most important cities and waiting for me to either overwhelm them or go find something else to hurt. I bet on the highest difficulty the enemy actually goes after you due to superior numbers, but I don't necessarily want maximum challenge from this game. There are other issues, but this is the one that's stopping me from playing it right now.

Angelfish wrote:I'm playing it aswell, I was/am a huge fan of its predecessor (and ofcoruse because it's made by a dutch studio)!
Though I'm kinda stuck on the 3rd campaign mission where you have to fight a dreadnought and a theocrat using theocrat goblin cities.
Those juggernaughts are simply overpowered and imbalanced versus my armies.
You need to take over fast, build up a reasonable army and start invading enemy core cities. The enemy players are pretty lax, but they sit on a huge economy that eventually leads to them drowning you in top tier units. I remember finding that particular mission really easy after I charged into the Dwarf Dreadnought's central cities around Turn 20 or so. As the campaign goes on, your heroes become stupidly powerful too, so each mission expects you to do more and more with them right off the bat. Age of Wonders 1 was a little like this, I think.
Ftl is one of the greatest games I've played in the longest time!

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sat May 10, 2014 3:02 pm

Maloo Oture wrote: Ftl is one of the greatest games I've played in the longest time!
Especially pared with "Captains Edition" mod.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Sat May 10, 2014 9:44 pm

Yeah as of right now, my gaming hours consist of starbound, ftl, and civ 5.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon May 12, 2014 6:33 pm

Shiver wrote: Re: Age of Wonders 3

AoW always had AI issues, as far as I can recall, which would eventually lead to battles that could be very logn and drawn out where you'd just whittle down their defenses.
Shiver wrote:You need to take over fast, build up a reasonable army and start invading enemy core cities. The enemy players are pretty lax, but they sit on a huge economy that eventually leads to them drowning you in top tier units. I remember finding that particular mission really easy after I charged into the Dwarf Dreadnought's central cities around Turn 20 or so. As the campaign goes on, your heroes become stupidly powerful too, so each mission expects you to do more and more with them right off the bat. Age of Wonders 1 was a little like this, I think.
I'm still on level 2, but yeah, this is also very AoW. Your heroes become tanks, and the trick is to find a the balance between blitzing the enemy and sticking your neck out too far with too few support units.

I gotta say some of the changes they've made has made it a fair bit trickier though. I agree with the changes mostly, though I do miss global buffs, especially for budding heroes. Losing the ability to dodge strikes and the impunity of flyers is good though, that used to make heroes in general even more powerful and Draconians in particular almost unstoppable.

Also the new XP system is great. Finally my support units get some XP to and I don't have to play 11-th dimensional chess to level up my heroes.