Games other than Star Control

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

User avatar
palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:36 pm
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by palmpet » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:19 pm

To be honest I'm not normally into puzzle playformers...oddworld is the exception because I don't play just for the gameplay.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

User avatar
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by Death 999 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 pm

You know, I might as well point out the game I've had going in the background near-constantly for… a while now:
Lazy Kings. The graphics are MS-paint-y. The interface is primitive. But there are a bunch of interesting interactions going on in this little idle/unfolding game (not clicker, thankfully). I recommend it.

User avatar
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by Angelfish » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:04 am

On the topic of clicker games, this is a clicker game with a nice twist to it. In this game you are an AI tasked with producing and selling paperclips, making as much paperclips for profit as possible :).
http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/index2.html

I really liked it and it gives a nice overview of a common problem in AI designing, which you will experience when you solve the game :)

User avatar
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by Death 999 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:12 pm

There are a few things I didn't like about it. First off, it doesn't show the payoff for the AI for the last move. What does it get out of that? I know, but the game doesn't show it. Second, how doing the last move required more trust. Like, I can't imagine enough trust for that move.

I totally expected you to go making a vertical supply chain so you could stop buying wire, and then using that to bypass trust altogether.

User avatar
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by Angelfish » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:48 pm

Death 999 wrote:There are a few things I didn't like about it. First off, it doesn't show the payoff for the AI for the last move. What does it get out of that? I know, but the game doesn't show it. Second, how doing the last move required more trust. Like, I can't imagine enough trust for that move.

I totally expected you to go making a vertical supply chain so you could stop buying wire, and then using that to bypass trust altogether.
I got 2 ending options, of which the one I chose didn't require trust. It just left me with 30 desextillion paperclips :)

User avatar
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by Death 999 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:27 pm

Looks like it's the same version, but I don't know what else I could have done in the end. Maybe because I skipped maxing out yomi I didn't unlock something suitably final?

User avatar
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by Angelfish » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:28 am

there are 3 stages to the game in which you get different options in the left screen. did you get operations to 70000 or a bit less with quantum computing powah?

krulle
Ilwrath spawn
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:01 pm

Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by krulle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:56 pm

I noticed that the wire buyer buys too late, reducing your production.... :(
Not even smart enough for just-in-time...

And I usually sell more paper clips than the "average sold" indicates....

User avatar
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by Death 999 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:42 pm

Angelfish wrote:there are 3 stages to the game in which you get different options in the left screen. did you get operations to 70000 or a bit less with quantum computing powah?
I got my memory alone up above 80000.

User avatar
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by Angelfish » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:37 am

Death 999 wrote:
Angelfish wrote:there are 3 stages to the game in which you get different options in the left screen. did you get operations to 70000 or a bit less with quantum computing powah?
I got my memory alone up above 80000.
Then you should be able to get some sort of evil marketing trick that takes you to the next level :)

Post Reply