Games other than Star Control

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Rider
Not Ride Her

Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by Rider »

I've tried to like SupCom 2 but it's just too shallow. I'll stick to part 1 (not FA) if you don't mind. If anyone would like to play me on that, shoot me a PM! I'm always in to mangle some forumers :)
Hehe, that's what I said!
Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir »

Don't see why the supcom ACU wouldn't count as a character, some sort of Metal Gear or something did. I do own supcom, but not a computer that can play it to any degree of good. Unfortunately, this applies to most of my games. I bought prince of persia sands of time from a charity shop last saturday, stick it in my computer, install it, will it run? Will it hell. Keeps asking me to put the right disk in. I try it with both disks in both my disk drives, none of them work. Try running something on the disk, it gives me another, equally obscure error that I'm only supposed to get if I'm a pirate. Then I logged on yesterday, to find Ubisoft asking me to register. No, Ubisoft, I will not register your stupid shitty product, which like all your stupid shitty products either refuses to run on my system or isn't worth it when it does. Take your money which I didn't give you and go sit the hell in that corner.

Wow, that was a bit of a rant.

Hey, you know what's fun recently? Dwarf Fortress. LOVE Dwarf Fortress. Except when the dorfs are idiots, which is all the time, but it's still FUN.
fluffy_banana
Hunam adventurer

Post by fluffy_banana »

Dwarf Fortress
The idea of this game excites me greatly, but the interface is a bit of a nightmare to learn -- well, obviously, I guess, but it's not as if it's just the ASCII graphics per se. I'm fairly acclimatized from playing a lot of roguelikes. I imagine the payoff will probably be worth it once I get past the learning curve, though.

Speaking of roguelikes, if you've ever played one or even if you haven't, but have ever had any interest in a turn-based, "thinking man's"* game of randomized dungeon delving/hack and slash, I highly recommend trying out Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. It is definitely one of the best-polished and well-designed members of the genre. There is even an excellent graphical tiles version in the downloads section for ASCII-allergic people (it's almost entirely mouse-driven as well, which makes it pretty intuitive to play).
dorfs
I don't know intentional this misspelling is, but I have to say, fantastic mild insult. It's like a portmanteau of dwarf and dork. A++, would read again.

*Only relatively speaking, compared to action/clickfest-y games (like Diablo, perhaps). I actually find it a pretty relaxing way to spend a few hours.
Once again we meet to exchange valuable tangibles. Isn't this fun?!
Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman »

I've played a fair bit of dwarf fortress, up to the point of actually completing a 'megaproject' (Massive tower with waterfalls coming out the sides, and a decorative domed roof. Unfortunately I had to leave the waterfalls turned off because my CPU cried uncle when I turned them on). The learning curve is steep, but once you get to the instinctual-use phase of the keyboard commands, it gets a lot easier. Going through at least one of the user-created tutorials is a must, though.
dorfs
I'm not sure exactly where this comes from, but it's a fairly widespread term on the DF forums.
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth »

Dragon wrote:The Kings Quest (or some other quest game, I forget) dude is under the new Guybrush next to the World of WarCraft chick.
That's Roger Wilco, from the Space Quest series.

Man, there sure are a lot of sci-fi soldiers in that image.

Took me a while to find the Star Control reference.
Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir »

Everyone loves armoured grey faceless space marines. Must do, people keep making them.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

I wonder what the people playing Starcraft 2 don't understand about the word BETA.
All this complaining about balance issues.. that's why you're playing the BETA right now, to get those balance issues fixed ;). Because thousands of people can do more balance testing than an inhouse team can :).
Zerg were way underpowered and one sided qua strategy about a week ago, apparently they got buffed now so they are more powerful. Don't worry, in the final game it will be fixed. Blizzard is great like that :).
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

For those wondering about Mass Effect 2: It's an incredible game! Right now I've completed it, but i'm still working on unlocking the sex scenes with your crewmembers onboard, so that's why it's not #2 in my top 5 of all time games yet ;). And also, I need to redo the last level in such a way as to have nobody die while completing that mission.. right now 2 space-age coffins are sitting in my cargo hold :'(.
Once again, Bioware used Star Control 2 for inspiration, even the flying around with my ship reminded me of SC2 :). They also took the mineral mining from SC2 and implemented it, so you can scan planets for 4 kinds of minerals which can be used for upgrades. Although this process is tiresome and boring at times, like it was in SC2 if you had to do it hours on end, sometimes you detect an anomaly and you can land on the planet to complete some kind of mission.
The character development is incredible, with every character also having a personal mission which you can complete to get a little backstory on that character, and unlock some new abilities for them aswell.
Also, what's great is that, although you can play this as a standalone game, this sequel can import your character from Mass effect 1, now this is something you see in more RPG's, but the game also stored certain events and choices your character made in Mass Effect 1, they have an influence on the things that happen in mass effect 2 :). The same will be the case in Mass effect 3 once it comes out!
Wouldn't it be great if a sequel to Star Control 2 also included a way to import your UQM savegame, so choices made in SC2 are of influence in Star Control 3/4/5/whatever they call it :). Although I imagine this would create some problems if you let the kohr-ah death march go too far (a future star control would be boring if only the earthlings were left), but still...
Concluding I can only say that Bioware looked to SC2 for inspiration and improved on many of those ideas. If TFB are to ever make a sequel to SC2, I should really urge them to look to the Mass Effect series for inspiration, and further improve on those improved ideas :).
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Lukipela wrote:I recently got my first game in a long time. I always liked Age of Wonders, despite it being broken every here and there. While idling through Wikipedia, I realised that the same studio has only produced one game series after that, Overlord. I bought the first on off Amazon in mint condition, with shipping charges it came to 13€. It's pretty fun and I'm enjoying myself immensely.

The game is linear and has no replay value, but there's something about commanding a mob of small gremlins that is just so fulfilling. You don't do much yourself, just send them forward to plunder and pillage. then they bring you whatever they steal, excitedly yelling things like "For the Overlord!" or "For you!" Sometimes they'll yell "For me!" and you just know they'll have picked up some weapon, pumpkin, piece of enemy armour, enemy skull or whatever and dressed up in it.

Once I'm done with the first one, there is an expansion and a second part. It's going to be quite interesting. Oh, here's a video since we can do that now.

I have Overlord 1 and 2, and I quite like it :). It's not a top-10 game for me but I bought it anyway since it's one of the few games of a dutch developer ;).
It's filled with humour and a lot of fun to throw those minions around. Overlord 2 is a lot better than 1 in my experience, but I can't exactly remember what the differences are, other than that in Overlord 2 your minions get mounts and the overall world is a bit larger.
I've played it on the XBOX 360, from what I've heard the controls on the console are easier than the ones on the PC, but since I've never played the PC version(s), I can't be a judge on that :).
And yes, it's a pikmin ripoff. But who cares? All these people complaining ripoff this ripoff that, what matters is that if you take an idea and improve on it, you create something new and innovative even so :).
Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon »

Dwarf Fortress
And as I can't see anything dwarf fortressy related scroll past without chipping in: love the game but really the interface needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the new century. I haven't touched my last fortress in about a month because zombie snail men are camped on top of my entrance and a werewolf ate my only carpenter. I'm sure there's a way to resolve it but I haven't worked it out yet. :|
Dabir wrote:Everyone loves armoured grey faceless space marines. Must do, people keep making them.
Seriously, you'd think that after the number of games featuring them there'd be somewhere to go to download a fully rigged, textured and animated generic space marine; but no - everyone still has to model them themselves. *mutter* artists *mutter*.