Games other than Star Control

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by Angelfish » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:03 am

Angelfish wrote:I've been playing Life is Strange since episode 2 came out, and I have to say that this is by far my top game of this year, and it might even make my top 5 of best games ever.

Life is strange is a 'telltale-like' game, where you walk around interacting with objects progressing a story. Its set around a shy 18-year old girl, Maxine Caulfield (Max for short) attending a creative education in your typical american small town academy. She has the typical challenges that we all experienced/are experiencing when we were teens, like making friends, trying to fit in, bullying, falling in love etc etc.

Its main theme is the butterfly effect and time travel, expressed by the fact that Max discovers that she has the ability to rewind time for up to a minute and relive the past with the advantage of knowledge of what's going to happen. This enables her to correct her own mistakes as well as to keep bad things from happening to other people. But changing certain small things in the past can lead to many different futures, and some small decisions can have big consequences.

What makes this game great is the storytelling and the atmosphere, in a sense you really get to care about the game's characters. Especially the developing relationships between Max and her classmates and friends are very believable, mainly with her best friend Chloe, which by character is quite her opposite ;). Also the game pays very much attention to little details, for example forgetting to water a plant can have it die at some time in the future, and choosing certain dialogue options can change the relationship you have with certain other characters in the game. Also, the indie rock music and its 'hand drawn' art style really add to the athmosphere.

The game is episodic, so every few months a new episode comes out. Right now, 3 episodes are out, with a 4th coming somewhere in the next few days, and in total there will be 5 episodes.

If you like story driven games, this one is for you ;).
http://store.steampowered.com/app/319630/
Okay, I've played the 4th episode and the story definitely takes a dark turn with some things happening that are not suitable for weak souls, but the episode overall is great. The lead character really has to make some heart-wrenching decisions to ensure the best outcome for th epeople she loves. I can't wait to see what episode 5 brings, but if it's as good as the previous ones, Life is strange is likely to end up in the top 10 of my all time favorite games.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:22 am

In other news: Master of Orion is getting a reboot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtQhNef17zw

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:13 pm

oh damn...I know where my life will be wasted in the future!!! Awesome!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:49 pm

Nuclear wrote:Who else is hyped for 2016? Looks to me like this is going to be the biggest year in gaming since 2012. For only a brief while longer must we amuse ourselves with all the shit indie crowdfunded garbage that Steam shovels onto our plate; now we have X-Com 2...
Super-excited about this one. Cautiously optimistic about the way they're taking the story. While I loved the original X-COM, I thought that Terror from the Deep was an inadequate re-hash, and Apocalypse, while having some good points, really didn't feel like part of the same world.

As far as shit indie crowdfunded garbage, I still like Darkest Dungeon, though waiting for full release before diving back in.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:48 pm

Angelfish wrote:
Angelfish wrote:I've been playing Life is Strange since episode 2 came out, and I have to say that this is by far my top game of this year, and it might even make my top 5 of best games ever.

Life is strange is a 'telltale-like' game, where you walk around interacting with objects progressing a story. Its set around a shy 18-year old girl, Maxine Caulfield (Max for short) attending a creative education in your typical american small town academy. She has the typical challenges that we all experienced/are experiencing when we were teens, like making friends, trying to fit in, bullying, falling in love etc etc.

Its main theme is the butterfly effect and time travel, expressed by the fact that Max discovers that she has the ability to rewind time for up to a minute and relive the past with the advantage of knowledge of what's going to happen. This enables her to correct her own mistakes as well as to keep bad things from happening to other people. But changing certain small things in the past can lead to many different futures, and some small decisions can have big consequences.

What makes this game great is the storytelling and the atmosphere, in a sense you really get to care about the game's characters. Especially the developing relationships between Max and her classmates and friends are very believable, mainly with her best friend Chloe, which by character is quite her opposite ;). Also the game pays very much attention to little details, for example forgetting to water a plant can have it die at some time in the future, and choosing certain dialogue options can change the relationship you have with certain other characters in the game. Also, the indie rock music and its 'hand drawn' art style really add to the athmosphere.

The game is episodic, so every few months a new episode comes out. Right now, 3 episodes are out, with a 4th coming somewhere in the next few days, and in total there will be 5 episodes.

If you like story driven games, this one is for you ;).
http://store.steampowered.com/app/319630/
Okay, I've played the 4th episode and the story definitely takes a dark turn with some things happening that are not suitable for weak souls, but the episode overall is great. The lead character really has to make some heart-wrenching decisions to ensure the best outcome for th epeople she loves. I can't wait to see what episode 5 brings, but if it's as good as the previous ones, Life is strange is likely to end up in the top 10 of my all time favorite games.
In the weeks leading up to Episode 5 I started thinking that Life is Strange might become the best game I've ever played.
Last week I played episode 5 which is called 'polarized', and I have to say that my opinions about it are.. well.. polarized :).
To be short, the ending was fucked up. Like it was the case with Mass effect 3 you were offered 2 endings and then got the ending movie, not really bringing closure.

Then again, everything leading up to the ending was done incredibly well. In the beginning of the game the main character Max is drugged up in a dark room with a creep taking pictures of her, and she has to use her time traveling powers to escape. There are some incredible scenes during the game, where Max starts second-guessing herself about the choices that she has made and worrying about the problems that she's facing, and near the end there's a 'nightmare' scene which exists entirely in her head, where her innermost fears are expressed. This is unlike anything I've ever seen in any game, though in high-quality movies and series these themes are explored more often. Perhaps that's why you can't really even call it a game anymore.. Because it makes you reflect on your own decisions you made in life, it's basically telling a story from which everyone can learn.

But, due to budget issues the studio didn't have enough time to actually finish the game properly, and the actual ending feels rushed. That kinda sucks. But still, I think LiS deserves a place amongst my top 10 games of all time, though at this moment I'm still undecided about what position it takes ;).
Perhaps a season 2 will correct some of the mistakes that were made.

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Post by palmpet » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:47 pm

Ive been playing lego dimensions! Just got a new character , Zane from ninjago. Which is really helpful now I can swim!
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

spathilowcouncil
Silly Supox

Post by spathilowcouncil » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:03 am

Undertale Undertale Undertale Undertale seriously go play Undertale because its like the best thing ever, or not

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:28 am

So I recently bought Crypt of the NecroDancer, and I must say, it's a lot more addicting than I thought it would be. I still can't wrap my head around how to reliably defeat those accursed dragons without a ranged weapon though.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:20 pm

spathilowcouncil wrote:Undertale Undertale Undertale Undertale seriously go play Undertale because its like the best thing ever, or not
So you recommend a game without telling us what it is. Seems like spam!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:47 pm

Angelfish wrote:
spathilowcouncil wrote:Undertale Undertale Undertale Undertale seriously go play Undertale because its like the best thing ever, or not
So you recommend a game without telling us what it is. Seems like spam!
Yeah, if this so-called "game" even exists!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh