Games other than Star Control

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by Dabir »

glory_device wrote:
Dabir wrote:
Nobody will think less of you if you give up at ElecMan's level and go on to BN2.
Huh? I didn't find that level particularly difficult...MagicMan was way more difficult IMO.

I finished the whole game two days ago and moved to BN2.
Most people have a bit of trouble with it, it's really not a good level tbh. But good on you that you finished it! MagicMan is the real final boss to be honest, the LifeVirus is a joke with how much of a powerup the game gives you for that battle.
glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device »

Dabir wrote:
glory_device wrote:
Dabir wrote:
Nobody will think less of you if you give up at ElecMan's level and go on to BN2.
Huh? I didn't find that level particularly difficult...MagicMan was way more difficult IMO.

I finished the whole game two days ago and moved to BN2.
Most people have a bit of trouble with it, it's really not a good level tbh. But good on you that you finished it! MagicMan is the real final boss to be honest, the LifeVirus is a joke with how much of a powerup the game gives you for that battle.
The tree burning in BN3 is IMO worst...So far I love the series but some of the game mechanics are tedious sometimes! However, I'm almost finished with battle network 3..then on to BN4!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

BN4? God help you. I'd honestly say you're better off just skipping striaght to 6. 2, 3, and 6 are definitely the series high points, and 4 is unquestionably the lowest.
glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device »

hahah welll the goal was to make all BN and all megaman zero. I must say that the zero series was a bit more fun to play since I find BN a bit redundant... However, I'm gonna go through with it and be done with it!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

I've been playing Life is Strange since episode 2 came out, and I have to say that this is by far my top game of this year, and it might even make my top 5 of best games ever.

Life is strange is a 'telltale-like' game, where you walk around interacting with objects progressing a story. Its set around a shy 18-year old girl, Maxine Caulfield (Max for short) attending a creative education in your typical american small town academy. She has the typical challenges that we all experienced/are experiencing when we were teens, like making friends, trying to fit in, bullying, falling in love etc etc.

Its main theme is the butterfly effect and time travel, expressed by the fact that Max discovers that she has the ability to rewind time for up to a minute and relive the past with the advantage of knowledge of what's going to happen. This enables her to correct her own mistakes as well as to keep bad things from happening to other people. But changing certain small things in the past can lead to many different futures, and some small decisions can have big consequences.

What makes this game great is the storytelling and the atmosphere, in a sense you really get to care about the game's characters. Especially the developing relationships between Max and her classmates and friends are very believable, mainly with her best friend Chloe, which by character is quite her opposite ;). Also the game pays very much attention to little details, for example forgetting to water a plant can have it die at some time in the future, and choosing certain dialogue options can change the relationship you have with certain other characters in the game. Also, the indie rock music and its 'hand drawn' art style really add to the athmosphere.

The game is episodic, so every few months a new episode comes out. Right now, 3 episodes are out, with a 4th coming somewhere in the next few days, and in total there will be 5 episodes.

If you like story driven games, this one is for you ;).
http://store.steampowered.com/app/319630/
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

Binging on "Guild of Dungeoneering"...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Alvarin wrote:Binging on "Guild of Dungeoneering"...
I like that it's a card game combined with regular exploring.

I also play hand of fate,which is basically a roguelike where you play against a very well voice acted dungeon master which explains the story to you and explains your choices. But instead of rolling dice for battle you go into a 3rd person hack and slash mode when you have to defeat your enemies.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/266510/
Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod »

I haven't played Hand of Fate in several months, but I did really enjoy it.

I have been playing a sort of similar game called Armello. It's basically a tabletop RPG in a fantasy setting, and it's absolutely gorgeous as well as really exciting to play. Matches are anout 1.5 to 2 hours long against human opponents and it's faster against the AI so you don't need to have a whole afternoon to play.

I think viewing the site would be more helpful than me talking about it so here you go: http://armello.com
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

I've seen several let's play episodes of Hand of Fate, liked the concept a lot. Not my thing to play, though, due to the combat being what it is.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear »

Hey boyz. It's been a while since last I've visited, but I'm glad to see some of you are still keeping the chair warm.

Who else is hyped for 2016? Looks to me like this is going to be the biggest year in gaming since 2012. For only a brief while longer must we amuse ourselves with all the shit indie crowdfunded garbage that Steam shovels onto our plate; now we have X-Com 2, Fallout 4, and Street Fighter 5 to look forward to. And I know for a fact some of you really filled the cup when you saw the gameplay footage for Fallout. Don't get too excited about the Pip boy collector's edition bonus though; that thing has "made in China" written all over it. Perhaps literally.

In the meantime, my girlfriend has directed me towards a few Anime themed games, Sunrider and Sunrider academy in particular... if nobody else is familiar with those titles, it's not really worth discussing though. They are well crafted visual novels though, is all I'm saying. Mask of Arcadius definitely has a StarControlly "liberate our homeworld from a hopelessly massive, monolithic alien regime" feel to it.

I torrented Galactic Civilization 3 to try it before I buy it. Definitely do not regret doing that. What a half-baked, bloated, buggy, poorly optimized piece of shit. StarDock is not ready to tackle a Star Control game, that's for sure. And no, it wasn't the torrents fault. And no, I am not endorsing piracy in any way. I'm simply saying that I strapped on me eye patch just once to protect myself against a potentially bad investment. Argh matey.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.