Games other than Star Control

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by Dragon »

Speaking of Skyrim... here's my desktop at the moment:
So. many. mods. make it stop.
Quasispatial wrote:
Bleeding Star wrote:...but I found Dragon Age Origins unspeakably dull.
Yeah, it's definitively a very boring game in the start. I found that it got better once you got to the later points where you could goof off, though.
True, I should have loved it. And kinda did the first playthrough but then I hit a game breaking bug and have never managed to force myself to replay the beginning again.
Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial »

Dragon wrote:True, I should have loved it. And kinda did the first playthrough but then I hit a game breaking bug and have never managed to force myself to replay the beginning again.
Someone should mod away the beginning - have a standard "starting loot and level-ups" thing; jump straight past the entire cacaphony in that castle.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.
Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star »

Eth wrote:Still playing mostly Skyrim. I bought a fancy gaming PC and bought Skyrim for it and have fancy graphics. Send help.
I played Daggerfall back in the day, and I think it's given me Bethesda PTSD. Also, I think I prefer my RPGs with a more driving central narrative; a bit less sandboxy. Though I do like a few branches in my railroads.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Nuclear wrote:
Has anyone here played Galactic Civilizations 2? Its sort of a mix between Civilization and Masters of Orion
I recently saw a let's play video of the game StarDrive 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1igIGSF0uw
It's basically a sequel to the Masters of Orion series. But it also draws inspiration from other games, like .. star control 2 ;).
You see, the diplomacy screen has you interact with various races each with their own font and music.

Game link: http://www.stardrivegame.com/
glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device »

Bleeding Star wrote:
Eth wrote:Still playing mostly Skyrim. I bought a fancy gaming PC and bought Skyrim for it and have fancy graphics. Send help.
I played Daggerfall back in the day, and I think it's given me Bethesda PTSD. Also, I think I prefer my RPGs with a more driving central narrative; a bit less sandboxy. Though I do like a few branches in my railroads.
I guess it depends on how you see things and like RPG. For me, RPG is a way to get completely lost in a narrative story...a story that the author wants to tell you...Therefore, I feel a bit like you about the open world idea especially when I am not a 100% finish kind of guy! I just want to get the story going and finish the game off.

I'm currently playing megaman battle network 1 and it's a nice little game.
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

Recently bought the "Ironcast" game and since have sunken way too much time into it...
It's Steampunk Rogue-like tactical match-three FTL kind of game. Main downsides are lack of soundtrack diversity and the endings aren't personalized per pilot, which could have been EASILY done...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

I sometimes play a game called Casear III during my lunch. Highly addictive and probably the best $5 I ever spent.

I enjoy its building process, which has unique aspects to it that differs from most sim builders. I've still never completely understood why the Romans would have pompous British accents, but it's still a great game.

You can choose a path for your Governor that either follows a peaceful path, which focuses on city issues, or the military path, where you confront Rome's enemies. And of course, you have to build your city accordingly. All it needs is a supermodel in a shimmering white and gold valkyrie uniform, drawing her sword while riding on a horse beckoning for you to join her in building your city.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir »

glory_device wrote:
Bleeding Star wrote:
I guess it depends on how you see things and like RPG. For me, RPG is a way to get completely lost in a narrative story...a story that the author wants to tell you...Therefore, I feel a bit like you about the open world idea especially when I am not a 100% finish kind of guy! I just want to get the story going and finish the game off.

I'm currently playing megaman battle network 1 and it's a nice little game.
Heh. Heheheheh.

Nobody will think less of you if you give up at ElecMan's level and go on to BN2.
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 »

I made (am finishing up) a strategic variant of Bejeweled. Strategic in that you don't get credit for big long chains you normally have little control over, and want to avoid - or at least defer - matching some things. Lining up longer-than-3 matches is rewarded. A core mechanic gives you finer control over the board than in most such games.

Also, it has a My Little Pony theme.

It's a standalone Java application, source code included. Message me your email address for a copy.
glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device »

Dabir wrote:
Nobody will think less of you if you give up at ElecMan's level and go on to BN2.
Huh? I didn't find that level particularly difficult...MagicMan was way more difficult IMO.

I finished the whole game two days ago and moved to BN2.
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo