Games other than Star Control

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by Angelfish » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:49 am

Since you guys are fan of 2d graphics, procedurally generated planets with random monsters and spaceships and humor, I thought you'd like this indie game: Starbound!
I started playing it yesterday and have been having an incredible amount of fun. It's kinda like minecraft/terraria but has more of a story driven feel to it.

You can see a trailer here;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMJE9ZHIqQ

The game is still in beta, but already for sale on steam for €13,99

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:39 pm

looks...simply awesome :)! Will definitively check it out at some point!!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:03 am

For those who have Steam accounts - I spotted it pop-up in the store under early access about a week ago. Then I forgot. Still looks pretty sweet though.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:16 am

I loved the XCOM:EU, but it only just ran on my PoS laptop. I upgraded to EW, and for whatever reason the performance is even worse, to the point of unplayability. Sucks 'cause I was definitely keen to put a few more rookies through the grinder. Instead I've been marathoning Neverwinter nights 2 - I'm a D&D addict but 'cause I have no friends I tend to stick to cRPGs. NWN2 itself was pretty average, but I really enjoyed Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir.

Also played through FTL - Space-roguelikelike which is good for wasting a few idle hours, and the Banner Saga - a rather interesting RPG with great style and atmosphere and stupid combat.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:05 am

Bleeding Star wrote:I loved the XCOM:EU, but it only just ran on my PoS laptop. I upgraded to EW, and for whatever reason the performance is even worse, to the point of unplayability. Sucks 'cause I was definitely keen to put a few more rookies through the grinder.
Had the same problem, but it was fixed after I updated my Nvidia's graphics drivers for the first time in 2 years or so. I hate to be that guy... but has it been a while since you updated? :P-smf If not, the ever so slightly upgraded graphics that come with Enemy Within must have tipped the game into the "your computer is a potato" territory. Sorry bruh.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

UltronUser25
Hunam adventurer

Post by UltronUser25 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:14 pm

Bleeding Star wrote:Instead I've been marathoning Neverwinter nights 2 - I'm a D&D addict but 'cause I have no friends I tend to stick to cRPGs. NWN2 itself was pretty average, but I really enjoyed Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir.
I'm a huge NWN fan as well, love the games, but found that for MOTB its best to play with a fighting/combat character as your companions are a bit, well, average as when you keep getting interrupted on rests spells run out.
The Ultron tells me I should wear my Mask of Toys for Bob Appreciation when playing Star Control 2.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:02 pm

Huge fan of D&D as well...Loved to lurk around and play online because not a lot of people do play D&D here. Never tried NWN but loved to play Baldur's Gate II.

I am currently adapting the core of D&D 3.5 to a SC2 environment...Quasi and Alvarin could testify if it is fun or not so far hue hue!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:56 pm

Nuclear wrote:Had the same problem, but it was fixed after I updated my Nvidia's graphics drivers for the first time in 2 years or so. I hate to be that guy... but has it been a while since you updated? :P-smf If not, the ever so slightly upgraded graphics that come with Enemy Within must have tipped the game into the "your computer is a potato" territory. Sorry bruh.
I only have an internal graphics card, or whatever the technical term is (I am bad at computers), so I don't know if that is an option. I usually play ancient 2D games, so I didn't really realize how important a decent card is for 3D shit. In summary, I think it is the "potato" option.
UltronUser25 wrote:I'm a huge NWN fan as well, love the games, but found that for MOTB its best to play with a fighting/combat character as your companions are a bit, well, average as when you keep getting interrupted on rests spells run out.
I always play either fighter-rogues of fighter-spellcasters. I find regular combat-only types pretty boring, but I don't want to be totally useless once spells run out either.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Wed May 07, 2014 5:26 am

So Age of Wonders III is out and seems quite enjoyable. Playing and having a nostalgia trip.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed May 07, 2014 11:59 am

Lukipela wrote:So Age of Wonders III is out and seems quite enjoyable. Playing and having a nostalgia trip.
I'm playing it aswell, I was/am a huge fan of its predecessor (and ofcoruse because it's made by a dutch studio)!
Though I'm kinda stuck on the 3rd campaign mission where you have to fight a dreadnought and a theocrat using theocrat goblin cities.
Those juggernaughts are simply overpowered and imbalanced versus my armies.