Nuclear's retro gaming booty

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Re: Nuclear's retro gaming booty

Post by Fossaman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:05 am

I've got copies of SimEarth and SimLife in jewel cases sitting on my shelf. They were never particularly stable or playable games, either one of them, for some reason. The fact that they're only kinda-sorta games to start with may have something to do with it. They're heavy on the 'sim' part of the deal.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:00 am

I'll admit, I had a bit more trouble getting into those 2 games than I did with the other Sim games. Sim games are supposedly meant to be treated more like "tools" or "toys" more so than games. Ever wonder if an apple tree would survive in a desert setting? SimLife gives you the tools needed to create a simulated plant with a similar phenotype to an apple tree, and then place it into a desert like biom where it's growth {or death} are completely simulated by a ton of different realistic variables. Pretty cool when you think about it!

The reason I want to get SimLife and SimEarth {original boxes, I already own the jewelcased rereleases} is because of their absolutely beautiful manuals. SimEarth's manual, for example, is set up like a lab manual with the pages being held together by rings. It's at least 200 pages long, and has a whole chapter devoted to James Lovelock's Gaia hypothesis. In comparison, I'm looking at the new Wolfenstein game's manual. the English portion is a whopping 12 pages long...
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:31 am

Ooh, that does sound pretty cool. I never got pretty manuals with my copies, probably because they were purchased through those little Scholastic book catalogs that they would hand out in elementary school.

I do remember there were some really neat pre-made scenarios in SimEarth that modeled the Gaia hypothesis stuff. I think there was one with light and dark colored daisies, or something like that? It's a little fuzzy. It's been a while since I had a computer that would run those games reliably.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:33 am

Really great find at Bibles. Space Quest 1 and 3 {original 80's versions, not the VGA remakes}, original boxes in decent condition. Inside Space Quest 1's box was a hint book, which only reveals hints if you draw over the boxes with a marker. Not sure what they mean by that, a marker included with the hintbook {which was not included if so}, or just an ordinary yellow highlighter?

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:54 am

Interesting bundle I found today. For jewel cases, I have Duke Nukem 3D {Already owned a shitty quality version before} and a gold edition of WarCraft 2. In the original boxes, I have a Sierra game, Hoyle Book of Games Vol.1, and a Microprose adventure game I've never heard of before, Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender. :-\-smf {Comes on 9 floppies. Daaaamn.}

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:15 am

Rex nebular is a very nice game!
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:57 am

Haven't posted for awhile. Been terribly busy with school lately and, not to mention, my desktop computer is fried and I'm still shopping around for a suitable step up from that dinosaur.

SimEarth came in last week, and it's in surprisingly good condition. There's nothing I hate more than the fact most people are too dumb to preserve their classic computer games properly...really, it's not that hard. I have a game with what appears to be neolithic age mustard on the box. Was the original owner using it as a dinner plate or something?

I also found a VERY old game called "Corporate Raider, the Pirate of Wall Street". It was a budget title though, so I don't expect it to be too recognizable.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:10 am

Just found some Lands of Lore games in their deliciously well kept original boxing! Ah Patrick Stewart, your voice lightens up any fantasy adventure! My heart still belongs to Malcolm McDowell for the title of "greatest senior actor" though.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:43 pm

I was talking to an old friend of mine who demonstrated GOG and Steam for me, and there seemed to be some fairly old games on there as well. Do you use those services at all, or is it more that you want the original packaging and discs, manuals and such?

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:07 am

Lukipela wrote:original packaging and discs, manuals and such?
Hoo yeah! I'm all about having the game in the physical realm. I'm not really a big fan of steam because it encourages playing and buying games online. I love what Good Old Games is doing, but I generally dislike them for the same reason. I don't feel like I actually am the proud owner of an old game unless I have it in it's illustriously designed box with {all!} the original contents. As you could imagine, I lurk Ebay quite a bit.