Minecraft server for the SC community?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Re: Minecraft server for the SC community?

Post by Gekko » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:05 pm

Lukipela wrote:First evening was interesting. Got killed a few times by creatures that explode, spent a lot of time digging. Have completed a huge mining shaft and a room for crafting, but by now it seems a bit repetitive. All I do is dig for minerals, but I haven't found anything. Got lots of stone though. I suppose I should build farmland and stuff, but I'd like to find some iron first and I already got lost and had to build a new lair one time so I'm mostly hanging out in my cave...
And that is why you play multiplayer. No more boredom.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:08 pm

I got lost on an excursion, had to spend a night in a hovel, then got ganked on the way home. found my way back, but am no missing all my equipment. Wee.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:06 am

Lukipela wrote:First evening was interesting. Got killed a few times by creatures that explode, spent a lot of time digging. Have completed a huge mining shaft and a room for crafting, but by now it seems a bit repetitive. All I do is dig for minerals, but I haven't found anything. Got lots of stone though. I suppose I should build farmland and stuff, but I'd like to find some iron first and I already got lost and had to build a new lair one time so I'm mostly hanging out in my cave...
Ha. Well I don't want to provide any spoilers but certain minerals have a preferred strata. Hopefully you are mining downward not horizontally. A quick google will tell you which minerals can be found at what depth if you so choose. Also, if you ever get bored in the normal world you can create a nether portal and explore hell.
I got lost on an excursion, had to spend a night in a hovel, then got ganked on the way home. found my way back, but am no missing all my equipment. Wee.

Monsters are like the probes in SC2, they are a pain in the beginning but once you get some armor, a bow and a decent sword, the tables are turned. Creepers can still do alot of damage though.

btw I love that creeper poster!

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:09 am

If the monsters are starting to become a pain, and all you want to do is learn the game without having to deal with skeletons chasing you all night, you can set the difficulty to peaceful. Your only threat then will be if a zealous cow pushes you off a cliff :P-smf
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:16 pm

Yeah, I'm digging a huge hole downwards but finding nothing but stone. Got plenty of stone though. My next project will be building a big tower in front of my hidey hole, so I can find it when I go out to slaughter innocent animals. Then fence the whole area off, light it up and start growing stuff...

This is pretty addicting actually.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:45 am

You'll want to build a greenhouse to keep animals from trampling your crops.

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:36 pm

Have you figured out the torch-trail trick yet, Luki? Carry a couple stacks of torches with you and string them out like breadcrumbs. Aboveground, it makes a handy pathfinding method. In caves, it serves as pathfinding and to render the areas you've visited safe from monsters. They only come out in the dark, after all.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:37 pm

Torchlines work good. I usually try to get a map made right away so I never get lost. And if I'm building somthing out doors and want to skip night real quick I'll craft a bed. Beds are tricky though as they have to be placed in a safe location or else you'll have *bad dreams*.

On the server we have a bukkit plugin for spawning at main base or spawning at home (player set). So no matter how far you travel or no matter how dangerous a situtaion is you can teleport out of danger. This takes away any real sense of danger.

Another plugin we have is for stargates. Almost all anyone wants to do on our server is build gates (usually with some sort of trap or "iris") and the public network has over 30 entries. This is also a double edged sword as people can gate anywhere and build so you don't need roads or rail.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Right, so I've been playing this for around a week now... And I'm losing motivation. Essentially, I've accomplished two things.

1. I've dug a pretty deep hole in my mountain base.
2. I've built a big damn tower outside it so that I can find my way back when I'm foraging.

But at this point... I dunno. I keep diggin downwards in my shaft (about 10*10 squares, probably 20 or 30 squares deep by now) but I never find anything but gravel or dirt. So it gets pretty boring. I've no idea if I should be making side tunnels or stuff, but I've pretty much decided to keep going downwards until something happens.

With the huge amounts of rock I gain I'm building a huge tower (again, about 10 by 10 and 15 or so high by now) upwards. I've connected them with an underground tunnel, so I never need to go outside. Digging the tunnel was fun, but then what? Night and day doesn't matter, cause I'm so high up that I can be laying stone all night without anyone touching. I'll dig down a bit, then go lay stones until I notice it's day. Occasionally during day I'll go out and kill a couple of cows to craft armour, but it seems a bit pointless since I'm not getting into any fights, so I don't really need it.

I set up a small fenced area outside my tower and planted some crops, but I'm not really motivated to do anything about them. All they'll give me is bread, which is only good for health. I've slaughtered and roasted some pigs some pigs, so I've got plenty of pork chops in case I get hurt. Which I don't, since my enemies can't touch me in my tower or base. The only times I run into them is if I fall off a ledge during night and spawn outside in the dark, in which case I don't have my stuff anyway.

As far as I can tell, there is no reason for me to venture outside my domain ever, except if I need wood to build stairs for my shaft or tower. I'm sort of toying with just panting some trees inside the shaft and/or tower so that I have that settled as well. I guess at some point I could make a little harbour house and a tunnel or gate connecting it, but again I'm got no motivation. There's nothing out at sea that I need, as far as I can tell. Similarly, there are some nooks and crannys on the island that I could explore, but I've got no reason to. There doesn't seem to be any stronger enemies spawning either, and my leather armour seems to let me fight most things if I really want to, until they mob me with enough exploding freaks at least.

Once I've dug deep enough/built high enough I'll need more torches, which means more coal. I suppose at that stage I'll do some exploring since I'll have a motivator. Meanwhile, I'm going to build a bridge between my tower and the mountain where my base is located, just for the hell of it.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:34 am

How many achievments have you unlocked so far? Also, it sounds like this is the part of the game where you make your own goals and creativity comes in. One goal I set for myself was to try and craft all of the items in MC.

http://www.minecraft-crafting.net/