Minecraft server for the SC community?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Minecraft server for the SC community?

Post by Dyandod » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:15 pm

I don't have Minecraft, but I've been thinking of buying it. If I do end up getting it, then I'd definitely be interested in an SC server.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:58 pm

Lukipela wrote:Interesting. For someone like me, who could put in an hour or so a weekend and maybe 15 minutes every other day, is cooperative useful? I don't want to be a drag on the community either.
I don't see how you could be a drag in that situation. You log in when you can, do some work on a project, and leave when you feel like it. It's very flexible and you can set your own goals.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:33 pm

Yes, participation, in group effort sense, isn't required in co-op. Although, you may want a companion when raiding npc villages or taking dungeons. We can also host special events like a dungeon world raid or glow stone mining in the Nether world. It just depends upon what the community wants.

Everything is shaping up to look like this will be a go. Either when MC 1.8 Beta comes out or late september I'll be taking full control of the server and I'll be making the server available to Star Control members. I plan on starting a brand new map with a good seed. I figure there will be at least one public building. This will be for safety when people are just starting or spawning from danger. We could have pre dug mineshafts if you guys want as well.

The server is rented from Servercraft and they build physical dedicated servers. The server is physically located in Phnx. Arizona, USA and hopefully the pings aren't huge to our European members. If there is a large amount of Euro interest and it's horrible for them I may look at finding another host. We'll just have to see.

http://www.servercraft.co/

I plan on keeping the server up for a while. Two or three months. If interest wanes, I 'll save the map and shut it down in November or December.

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:44 am

RTyp06 wrote: The server is rented from Servercraft and they build physical dedicated servers. The server is physically located in Phnx. Arizona, USA and hopefully the pings aren't huge to our European members. If there is a large amount of Euro interest and it's horrible for them I may look at finding another host. We'll just have to see.
As long the connection is stable and there are no sudden spikes in the balance of the network it should be fine. The cables between Europe and USA are good anyway, so as long there isn't some cheap ISP between me and the server nothing should be slowing it down. Most of the players on my server are from the other side of the globe and they suffer no issues in regards to the lag. Sure, they get the packages 300 milliseconds later, but the connection is the same 100% of the time so there aren't any drops.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:07 am

RTyp06 wrote:Yes, participation, in group effort sense, isn't required in co-op. Although, you may want a companion when raiding npc villages or taking dungeons. We can also host special events like a dungeon world raid or glow stone mining in the Nether world. It just depends upon what the community wants.
Are they fixing up the Nether for multiplayer in the next patch? I recall it being nonfunctional in multiplayer, due to the way the game handles individual worlds on a server.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:09 am

Nether's worked in multiplayer for a while. The people on the server I'm usually on used it to keep their bases spread out so they wouldn't accidentally each other.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:00 pm

Eth wrote:I don't see how you could be a drag in that situation. You log in when you can, do some work on a project, and leave when you feel like it. It's very flexible and you can set your own goals.
Huh. Maybe I'll get it then. Been ages since the SC crew gamed together.
RTyp06 wrote:I plan on keeping the server up for a while. Two or three months. If interest wanes, I 'll save the map and shut it down in November or December.
September October are going to be busy months at work for me, we're shutting down the refinery. But I'll push it and then after that I'll be around more.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:45 pm

Nuclear wrote:
RTyp06 wrote:Yes, participation, in group effort sense, isn't required in co-op. Although, you may want a companion when raiding npc villages or taking dungeons. We can also host special events like a dungeon world raid or glow stone mining in the Nether world. It just depends upon what the community wants.
Are they fixing up the Nether for multiplayer in the next patch? I recall it being nonfunctional in multiplayer, due to the way the game handles individual worlds on a server.
Yeah, Dabir is correct. Multiple worlds work just fine in MP now. In fact we have uploaded some pretty cool dungeon worlds using the 'MCDungeon' mod.

Lukipela, it'll be great to have you on. Should be fun. You and Eth will most likely be added to admin or moderators so you'll have access to the admin commands. We're all adults here, I don't really expect any problems but it's always good to have at least a few trustees just in case. There wont be many rules for this server other than the obvious common sense stuff like dont grief or steal other people's stuff. And don't build right next to sombody else's project unless both parties are in agreement. I'll post a rules section and a list of admin commands for mods when we get this going.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:05 am

I don't suppose we'd use any kind of voice chatting would we? I love vent, mostly cause of the "highly convenient for people with cheap microphones that produce alot of hardware background noise" push-to-talk option. I hate Skype for it's lack thereof.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:50 am

I don't even have a microphone. I'm kind of the oddball on the server right now because almost everyone else uses skype. I may try it one day but it's not high on my priority list.