Minecraft server for the SC community?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Re: Minecraft server for the SC community?

Post by RTyp06 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:02 am

Fossaman, i'll see what I can do. Eth, agreed.

If anyone wants to play a preview of 1.8 they posted a preview version for bug testing.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/

First post.

I like the new biome and lighting system the most. My client crashes to a blank screen when it saves chunks though which is pretty annoying.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:33 pm

Installation for 1.8

1) Remove your .minecraft folder
2) Redownload minecraft, you need a clean version
3) Download assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre/minecraft.jar
4) go to your .minecraft folder and dragg and drop the downloaded minecraft.jar in your .minecraft/bin folder.
5) start the client!

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:34 pm

1.8 is out today, when you start it up you'll be asked to update. Click yes and you'll have the 1.8 update!
So now is about the time that we should start thinking about giving that Star Control Server a kickstart ;).

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:05 pm

Indeed. I wish they'd release the 1.8 server build so Servercraft can upload it and I could get started. But I suspect another update before then becuase 1.8 beta is still pretty buggy. Mainly with the new lighting system.

Even after Servercraft starts hosting version 1.8 on their servers, it will take me a day or two to get things set up.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:20 pm

I reckon we'll need that time to get used to it in singleplayer anyway. This stuff is FRIGGING AWESOME.

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:43 am

I miss my fog-toggle. I used that a lot. The new lighting is awesome, though. It makes me glad I installed those piston-controlled skylights.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:18 pm

Fog-toggle was basically hackervision, mind you I miss it too. You'll also notice that mobs no longer have numbers above their heads in debug mode, at least when they're not otherwise visible and probably at other times too, probably for that same reason of hackervision.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:40 pm

I used the fog toggle alot especially when riding rail carts. Lower render depth seemed to provide for a smoother cart ride. Also, the F3 mob number exploit was kind of cheesy and made finding dungeons too easy imo.

I found an interesting map seed that starts you out in a village. It's the first one "givemeabreak". Do we want the new server map to start players in a village or somthing more desolate?

http://www.minecraftseeds.info/

You can start a new single player world with that seed and give it a test run for yourself if you'd like.

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:50 pm

So I found out that you can still toggle the fog by pressing F3 and F at the same time. So that's nice. I've never used it as 'hackervision' really, just to step down the load on my laptop when I'm trying to do something like climb a steep mountainside, or work around lava. Processor-lagging off a cliff is no fun.

I like the idea of a desolate start, I think. Go with the classic 'crashed escape pod' beginning theme.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:44 pm

Ok I'm just about ready to launch this bad boy. We built a community building with a community mineshaft today. The location has nicely varied terrain. Now I just need to figure out how to set the main spawn point. Some of the Servercraft default commands don't seem to be working for some reason.

Screenie.