Minecraft server for the SC community?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Re: Minecraft server for the SC community?

Post by Gekko » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:55 pm

I personally don't see a reason for playing singleplayer. You can't use those worlds in multiplayer, and all your creations would be simple yours - you would have no-one else except you seeing them. Multiplayer adds a feeling of tribal survival at the beginning, and then later on forms into kind of a communistic community.

That is, assuming you are playing with good folk who are old enough. I usually play with people in their late 20s.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:57 pm

The server can be set to accept cracked accounts. Most of the players on our current server are running cracked accounts. The idea is that you will eventually buy the game to support Notch if you can. Having a legit account (like me and a few others on our server) means you can change skins where the cracked players have to settle with the default skin.

Lukipela, this video will give you an idea of gameplay in singleplayer survival mode:

*Keep in mind that this vid is a bit dated and 1.8 is supposed to have new mobs and npc villages.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:03 pm

The Minecraft wiki helped me out when I was a nubzorz, so I recommend checking that out too if you have any questions about particular blocks, enemies, items etc. Also has a great list on all of the craftable items and how to make them.

It kinda' pains me to say that I'm currently running a cracked account, mostly because it doesn't feel like there is much dignity to pirating an indie game. But hey, shareware rules apply here? Not sure how my Minecraft works in multiplayer, since the only server I've played on was using Hamachi.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:20 pm

You can quite easily set up singleplayer worlds for multiplayer use, it's just that you have to host the server yourself. Incidentally, that can be used to cheat (use the server console commands to give yourself items and blocks).

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:36 am

Nuclear wrote:The Minecraft wiki helped me out when I was a nubzorz, so I recommend checking that out too if you have any questions about particular blocks, enemies, items etc. Also has a great list on all of the craftable items and how to make them.

It kinda' pains me to say that I'm currently running a cracked account, mostly because it doesn't feel like there is much dignity to pirating an indie game. But hey, shareware rules apply here? Not sure how my Minecraft works in multiplayer, since the only server I've played on was using Hamachi.
Jesus, just buy the fucking game. It's cheap. It's not like Notch is Microsoft or EA or some evil corporation like that.

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:39 pm

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've never played Minecraft. It's something I'll probably try long after its been officially released and its price has dropped.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:42 pm

Eth wrote:
Nuclear wrote:The Minecraft wiki helped me out when I was a nubzorz, so I recommend checking that out too if you have any questions about particular blocks, enemies, items etc. Also has a great list on all of the craftable items and how to make them.

Jesus, just buy the fucking game. It's cheap. It's not like Notch is Microsoft or EA or some evil corporation like that.
Heh, thats a bit more brash than I would have put it but I certainly understand and agree. That said I'm also empathetic to the poor college student that would buy the game if they could. Or sombody that wants to try it first before buying. It would have to be a community decision wether or not to allow cracked accounts if and when we get the SC server going.

The game cost me around 22$ U.S. with tax. If you're lucky, you might get dinner for one at a decent resturaunt for that amount.

Megagun
Salesman

Post by Megagun » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:48 pm

The Humble Indie Bunldle 3, which is pay-what-you-want (yes, you can buy it for 1 cent) contains a Minecraft promo code that gives you access to the game until the 14th of August.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:36 pm

Er, Shiver... Minecraft costs less *now* than it will when it's been officially released. It actually would have cost even less if you'd bought during Alpha.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:28 pm

Interesting. For someone like me, who could put in an hour or so a weekend and maybe 15 minutes every other day, is cooperative useful? I don't want to be a drag on the community either.