Minecraft server for the SC community?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Re: Minecraft server for the SC community?

Post by Gekko » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:59 am

Angelfish wrote:1.8 is due tomorrow, supposedly ;)
Nope. Delayed.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Yes, it won't be long now guys. It usually takes a few days for bukkit to update their plugins after a new release but we don't have to have the plugins working to get started. I'll also need some time to build the main spawn building after updating to 1.8. and genning a new map. In the mean time do you guys have a preferred biome type for the main spawn area? (ie. forest, mountain, desert etc.) I ask because this will most likely be our town center.

Hopefully we'll be playing by next tuesday or wednesday. I'll be starting a new thread announcing the server here and on the UQM board at that time.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:22 pm

Gekko wrote:
Angelfish wrote:1.8 is due tomorrow, supposedly ;)
Nope. Delayed.
COME ON it's a beta, we'll test it for them :D

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:23 pm

RTyp06 wrote:Yes, it won't be long now guys. It usually takes a few days for bukkit to update their plugins after a new release but we don't have to have the plugins working to get started. I'll also need some time to build the main spawn building after updating to 1.8. and genning a new map. In the mean time do you guys have a preferred biome type for the main spawn area? (ie. forest, mountain, desert etc.) I ask because this will most likely be our town center.

Hopefully we'll be playing by next tuesday or wednesday. I'll be starting a new thread announcing the server here and on the UQM board at that time.
I don't really care which biome is used as long as it isn't a desert biome. can't we spawn on a border between 2 or 3 biomes?
oh and make sure that there's no flowing water nearby, people tend to fuck up the spawn area and make the water fall into it ;).

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:21 am

RTyp06 wrote:Yes, it won't be long now guys. It usually takes a few days for bukkit to update their plugins after a new release but we don't have to have the plugins working to get started. I'll also need some time to build the main spawn building after updating to 1.8. and genning a new map. In the mean time do you guys have a preferred biome type for the main spawn area? (ie. forest, mountain, desert etc.) I ask because this will most likely be our town center.

It would be convenient if spawn was near the origin point on the map, but if that's not a very suitable location, no big deal. Forest biome would be more convenient for players just starting out on the server, since there would be easy access to wood.

Have you ever looked into any of the economy plugins? I was on a server that used iConomy for a while, and it was quite convenient. It got rid of some of the more grind-y aspects of gameplay, and allowed you to get right to the construction type stuff. It also gave server admins an easy way to reward contributions to the server. If someone built something really cool, the admin could toss a bunch of in-game cash at them to give them a jump-start on their next project.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:26 am

Super-excited about the adventure update. Would prefer minimal mods, as they frequently mess up the game balance, but I defer to Rtyp06's judgment on this matter.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:22 pm

Ok, I'll look for a spot near the edge of a biome and try to make sure there are plenty of trees around. Fossaman, I'm not sure what you mean by origin point. Once the main spawn point is chosen, everyone will spawn there when first starting or after dying. We currently call this the "main spawn" on the server. This will be safely inside a building (starship factory) so people will not get hammered by mobs right away.

As for plugins, we can start with none or few and then add some later if we so desire. I'll have to look into the economy plugins that sounds interesting.

One thing we had controversy over on the server was wether or not to allow using the give command to give people unlimited items. After all it does get boring while mining and some people just want to build stuff and not go through the hassle of obtaining materials. Personally I like a challenge and just genning materials takes away half of the game's fun imo. Not to mention that using /give takes away any chance of an economy of any type.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:37 pm

I like mining. digging shafts to get materials. layer after layer, sometimes making huge underground halls in the process.

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:51 am

RTyp06 wrote:Fossaman, I'm not sure what you mean by origin point.
On a graph, the origin is coordinates (0,0). So spawn would be at the center of the coordinate system. Would make it slightly easier to navigate using coords if necessary.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:10 am

I would prefer that we have to mine for materials. It's called "Minecraft," ferchrissakes.