Page 3 of 3

Re: Terrorist attacks in Norway

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:57 am
by TSC
Lukipela wrote:
Saria wrote:
Draxas wrote:
That can't possibly be worldwide. Where did this come from, and what does it refer to?
Europe.
Thanks Saria! Yeah I should have been more specific about where I was talking about, wasn't thinking. Sorry bout that.

TSC: As you say, if we want an open and free society, we can never completely protect us against things like this. That's just one of the costs of being free. But a good precaution is to take a look at whether or not semi-automatics need to be so easy to get hold of.

Oh true, and I'm not advocating censorship either.

I AM advocating however calling extremists on their religious and political bullshit though, even if it's not considered polite. That TOO is free speech.

As for guns, I'm definitely of the view that they should only be carried by military and law enforcement personel, and only by those if they are on duty. I personally oppose civilian ownership of guns entirely.

Re: Terrorist attacks in Norway

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:05 pm
by Dabir
Lukipela wrote:Saw some interesting statistics that said that out of 279 terrorist attacks (executed, foiled and failed) in 2009, one was carried out by islamists. The vast majority was carried out by separatists like ETA or Real IRA, with a smattering of far-right and far-left attacks. Yet we always assume it's muslims first.
I've just read that as 3/249. Doesn't take away from the point, but the discrepancy is interesting nonetheless.

Re: Terrorist attacks in Norway

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:35 pm
by TSC
Dabir wrote:
Lukipela wrote:Saw some interesting statistics that said that out of 279 terrorist attacks (executed, foiled and failed) in 2009, one was carried out by islamists. The vast majority was carried out by separatists like ETA or Real IRA, with a smattering of far-right and far-left attacks. Yet we always assume it's muslims first.
I've just read that as 3/249. Doesn't take away from the point, but the discrepancy is interesting nonetheless.
9/11 plus right-wingers scaring people with those oh so scary muslims to get votes in my opinion. So that's what people think of. I also think they are scarier because they are outsiders to western culture. Outsiders are always scarier, humans being naturally pack dwelling apes, your own pack is less scary then another pack. That's I think a very basic evolutionary aspect of human psychology that causes alot of grief.

Fact is most muslim extremist terror is done in islamic countries, where they terrorize their own populace, like the Taliban do. They're obviously not completely harmless (9/11!) but the biggest terrorism threat is native political extremists. (particularly seperatists and far right types)

Which is why I said from day one that a 'war on terror' should be fought through internal security, not foreign wars. (Of course internal security is often gutted in favour of more foreign war spending by these war on terror advocates.)

But I'll be honest, those foreign wars where about corporate oil profits. I think it's abundantly clear that Saddam was neither in possession of WMD's or connected to 9/11. I mean the guy was an asshole, sure. But if we go around booting every asshole out of power we'd be stuck in dozens of dictatorships. It's just that you can't sell 'Well this is just for the glory of Halliburton' to the public.

Re: Terrorist attacks in Norway

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:27 am
by Lobsterman
Gotta say, everything awwwwrite in norway, even buddies of mine who lost dear friends are taking it pretty cool. We will persevere! No doubt about that!

Re: Terrorist attacks in Norway

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:33 am
by Lobsterman
Lobsterman wrote:Gotta say, everything awwwwrite in norway, even buddies of mine who lost dear friends are taking it pretty cool. We will persevere! No doubt about that!
Lukipela wrote:Lobsterman is from Norway, but hasn't been here in a while. Hopefully all is well with him.
Whaoh man I didnt see that until now, yeah I'm whole Lukipela, the only thing that has kept me off this site are my own person demons im afraid, but no terrorists! I gotta say I honestly felt a bit touched reading your post, I haven't been here for a long time and I thought it was kinda cool that somebody (an admin/mod nonetheless) actually remembered me.

Thanks for all the good thoughts btw (of all of you in this thread). And sorry for double posting, I dont know how I did it!

Re: Terrorist attacks in Norway

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:30 pm
by Lukipela
Lobsterman wrote: Whaoh man I didnt see that until now, yeah I'm whole Lukipela, the only thing that has kept me off this site are my own person demons im afraid, but no terrorists! I gotta say I honestly felt a bit touched reading your post, I haven't been here for a long time and I thought it was kinda cool that somebody (an admin/mod nonetheless) actually remembered me.

Thanks for all the good thoughts btw (of all of you in this thread). And sorry for double posting, I dont know how I did it!
Glad to hear you're all right, our hearts and thoughts go out to you.

Also, you're on the SCDB now, once we get hold of you we don't forget ;)

Re: Terrorist attacks in Norway

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:52 pm
by RTyp06
I watched a Discovery Channel special called "90 Minutes in Hell, Assault on Oslo". Hard to believe that one individual is capable of such horrific acts of violence. Although I'm not for capital punishment in general, I think I could make an exception for this Breivik guy. I'm willing to bet alot of Norwegens feel the same way.