Terrorist attacks in Norway

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Terrorist attacks in Norway

Post by Lukipela » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:27 pm

Someone detonated a huge bomb in Oslo this afternoon, destroying parts of parliament building and damaging several other buildings, as well as wounding people and and killing up to seven. Later today, a person dressed up as a police officer opened fire on a camp full of kids, reports of as many as 30 dead kids so far, but nothing confirmed yet.

The camp was a political camp, for one of the Norwegian political parties, same party that rules Norway right now. Someone is making a very heavy handed point.

Poor Norwegians. :(-smf

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Re: Terrorist attacks in Norway

Post by RTyp06 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:41 pm

Yeah, it's all over the top news networks here. Crazy stuff.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:12 pm

I walked on that street about 1,5 years ago (october 2009 if i'm not mistaken). I'm sad to see the place in such a state now.

Apparently the shooting only took about 9 to 10 lives instead of thirty, it was a convention of the youth division of the norwegian labour party, on a small island.
Here's a picture of the incident on the island. Warning: It's quite shocking. http://www.abcnyheter.no/nyheter/110722 ... n-pa-utoya

My heart goes out to all the victims that fell today. It's quite sad that we can't just all get along.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:38 pm

9 to 10 is better than 30 I guess. That's a gruesome picture. Bomb squad is on it's way as well, they suspect possible explosives on the island.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:18 pm

50 to 100 kg of explosives, a good picture of damahed buildings:

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/ulkomaat/leht ... 10264.html

Cedric6014
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Cedric6014 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:27 am

Reports in NZ are of over 80 dead at the camp
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/533 ... e-shooting

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:54 am

Yeah, seven dead from the bombings, 84 on the island. Lone right-wing gunman suspected, suspect already in custody. Doesn't like multiculturalism apparently.

Don't know if we've ever had right-wingers this crazy before in Scandinavia, this is a whole new level for them.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:15 am

wtf at the bouncing death toll!

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:11 pm

Well, from what I can gather so far, this is the equivilant of the U.S.A.'s Timothy McVeigh bombings in Oaklahoma City back in '95 (or at least similar to it). A home grown terrorist with religious beliefs. Both suspects were also from a farming background and had ties/interests in right wing militia groups.

Norway is one of the most benign countries in the world. I doubt islamic terrorists are targeting Norway nor ever will. I read much speculation on the MSNBC news vine that this was retaliation for "Norway's jets taking out Gadafhi's grand kids" and other such wild speculation. Most speculation involved islamic terrorist groups just as the speculation in the early aftermath of the McVeigh bombings did back in '95.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:36 pm

Bloody awful. I know we have a lot of Scandanavians on the boards (though no Norwegians?) so I hope no one has been personally affected by this.

Interesting to see that the immediate assumption by many people that the bombing was associated with Muslim extremism. Perhaps not enough attention being given to home-grown nutters? Though I don't know if there was anything that could have been done about this in advance.