What are you reading?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Fossaman »

Asimov's robot novels are indeed pretty interesting. I vaguely recall reading Fantastic Voyage, and I seem to remember liking it. I'd recommend 'The Gods Themselves' and 'Nightfall' as well as 'The Fountains of Paradise'. They're all stand alone novels. I wasn't overly impressed by his Foundation series, for all the hype it gets. The idea that some dude just randomly decides that he's going to manipulate the course of events over the next few thousand years (or however long it was, I forget) is a bit silly.
fluffy_banana
Hunam adventurer

Post by fluffy_banana »

To disagree with fossa a bit: of Asimov's books, the Foundation series is probably my favourite. I'd definitely recommend them. I certainly wouldn't discard them on the basis that the part of the premise is a bit out-there. That's kind of the basic appeal of sci-fi after all. Whether you completely buy into the concept of psychohistory or not (and it is a very debateable concept), it's definitely one of his more original premises for a story and it had a pretty interesting execution.
Rider wrote:I'm trying to get a friend of mine to lend me his copy of the Hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy. Figure I might as well try it after I've already seen the film.
I've heard the film is rather mediocre, so you should be very pleasantly surprised by the book.
Once again we meet to exchange valuable tangibles. Isn't this fun?!
Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman »

That's kind of the basic appeal of sci-fi after all. Whether you completely buy into the concept of psychohistory or not (and it is a very debateable concept), it's definitely one of his more original premises for a story and it had a pretty interesting execution.
I suppose that's true. It's been...oh, probably the better part of a decade since I read the Foundation novels. The years seem to have eroded away the plot and characters from my memory, leaving only the premise. They're probably worth reading just for the nerd-cred.
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth »

There weren't any characters to speak of, IIRC.
Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman »

Splitting this off from the Coming of Age OOC to avoid derail:
Lukipela, concerning me re-reading 'The Wheel of Time' wrote:Why would you do that to yourself? Do you really need to read about pig headed women being stubborn and then getting switched for being prideful wenches?
Mostly because I'm bored, and my local library doesn't have that great a selection of books (and I'm a cheapskate who doesn't actually purchase novels). Also because despite the occasional weird element, the writing is pretty good. This time I'd like to try and analyze some of the story elements and character interactions, instead of just reading the books.

I just finished re-reading the first one, and it's honestly a pretty good book. We'll see if I lose interest as the series goes on (I remember those jumping viewpoints being really obnoxious once there get to be three or four at once).

Incidentally, I don't really recall any prideful wenching going on. Reference?
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Fossaman wrote:Splitting this off from the Coming of Age OOC to avoid derail:
I just finished re-reading the first one, and it's honestly a pretty good book.
Yeah, because he delibarately wrote it in a Tolkien-esque style to lure unsuspecting victims, er new readers in. Then we start with the hundreds of side characters, angsty painful existence of the poor old Dragon (not you Dragon) Reborn who has to make himself hard because all those women are dying for him and then the Forsaken are dying in droves only they aren't and everyone is being pigheaded and the Red whatever is stupid and their leader is a stubborn woman who gets tortured by the Aiel who aren't what they seem (What a twist!) and so on and so forth. And then the author dies because umpteenth books just isn't enough and you need to write about stupid beasts from over the sea who are suspiciously like everyone else in that they talk funny only they collar women and so forth and whatnot all the way.

You know what the best part about WOT is? If you ask a woman "Do you want to see my sword that isn't a sword?" and she gets it, you know to stay away from her because she'll probably expect to "dance" with you or something.
We'll see if I lose interest as the series goes on (I remember those jumping viewpoints being really obnoxious once there get to be three or four at once).
You might also loose your eternal soul as you start thinking about ter'angreal and sa'angreal and whatnot too deply. The way to Saidin is madness cause it's male, get it?
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Fossaman wrote:Incidentally, I don't really recall any prideful wenching going on. Reference?
There's like dozens of women getting switched, or offering to be switched for their honour in those books. Oh, and the leader of the Black Ajah getting switched, smoked, tortured with ants and whatnot. And the village womenfolk being chased out of Perrins chambers by his wife with a switch (though not actually switched) because they want to do more than make his bed. And so on and so forth.

"Walk in the light, although it'll be hard with those legs!"
Smoke353
Turnip Farmer

Post by Smoke353 »

fluffy_banana wrote:I've heard the film is rather mediocre, so you should be very pleasantly surprised by the book.
The original miniseries is much better than the new movie, although I have not read the book, so I can't compare to that.
I was here.
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 »

Lost Moon, the story of Apollo 13 as told by the commander of the mission (though also including to a great extent what was going on ground-side).
Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman »

See, obviously I don't remember the worst parts. Now I need to re-read it so I can properly mock it. (Unless you have some mockery cliff-notes for me?)