What are you reading?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

What are you reading?

Post by Lukipela » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:19 pm

So we used to have a pretty great thread on books we were reading back in the old forum. I wouldn’t go as far as saying it was our best thread, but it was easily in my top 5. So I figured I’d give it new life over here in our new and still slightly empty OT.

I’ve just finished my book on the history of Latin America. It was an interesting, yet depressing read. That continent has seen more than its fair share of trouble.

To cheer me up, I figured I’d go for something more entertaining for my next read. Well, because of that and because Bleeding Star complains if I read too many civilising books in a row. A while back, I read “Dwarves”, which was pretty fun and simple fantasy. While heading back to Finland, I spotted the sequel, cleverly (not really) named “War of the Dwarves”. It was as much of a brick as the predecessor, so I figured it might be fun.

And I was sort of right. But mostly not. Apparently the author decided that his world was far too limited, so in order to write a sequel he decided to mess up the back story as much as possible. Sure, the known world is still surrounded by mountains, outside which horrible beasts lay in wait. Sure, there’s still plenty of evil horror out there. Except not really, since there are apparently lots of countries outside of the known world with people moving back and forth as they damned well please. Suddenly the idea of a beleagured world almost overrun with evil is no longer relevant. Instead, the world we met earlier is a small stupid place that keeps itself to itself. Not too enjoyable.

But anyway, enough about that disappointing book. Now that I officially exist in this country, I think I’m going to try ordering some Ringworld books again. What are you reading?

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Dabir » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:32 pm

The Phantom Tollbooth, repeatedly and continuously. Also a collection of Shakespeare (shudder) plays, updated as a series of short stories by Charles and Mary Lamb sometime in the 19th century. Of course, most of them are utter rubbish, Pericles, Prince of Tyre being my favourite example of total bull. For example (paraphrased): "He was about to kill her, whereupon she was suddenly seized by pirates, and sold as a slave in a city far away, where she instantly became well-renowned amongst the people as the fairest slave there ever was." What.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Dabir wrote:Also a collection of Shakespeare (shudder) plays, updated as a series of short stories by Charles and Mary Lamb sometime in the 19th century. Of course, most of them are utter rubbish, Pericles, Prince of Tyre being my favourite example of total bull. For example (paraphrased): "He was about to kill her, whereupon she was suddenly seized by pirates, and sold as a slave in a city far away, where she instantly became well-renowned amongst the people as the fairest slave there ever was." What.
OMG, I totally stumbled across that book last week! I was like, "Who the hell takes Shakespeare and then removes all of the dialogue?!?"

zenzmurfy
Arilou wiseguy

Post by zenzmurfy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Did you ever get around to reading the David Weber "Honor Harrington" books?

Eth

Post by Eth » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:03 pm

Nope. 'Fraid not.

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:40 am

I find myself somewhat ambivalent about the Honor Harrington novels after having read them. They're interesting, and Weber's pacing during battle and action sequences is masterful (I have no idea how he makes some of those seem so exciting). But I'm not certain I actually liked all of the books. I would certainly have to push myself to want to re-read them. Maybe it's just because the series is so dang long...

fluffy_banana
Hunam adventurer

Post by fluffy_banana » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:00 pm

Just finished The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds a few days ago. A pretty excellent standalone hard sci-fi detective story set in Reynolds' Revelation Space universe (a series with a shared continuity and occasionally a few recurring characters, but you can almost jump in anywhere despite the wealth of history/universe details).

Now I'm onto more hard sci-fi. I'm reading The Temporal Void by Peter F Hamilton, which is the sequel to The Dreaming Void. I don't have quite as much affinity for it as Pandora's Star, Hamilton's older novel (the Void series lacks the fantastic alien-perspective chapters of Pandora's Star), but it's still quite good.
Once again we meet to exchange valuable tangibles. Isn't this fun?!

Rider
Not Ride Her

Post by Rider » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:14 pm

hard sci-fi even. Sounds kinky!

I'm trying to get a friend of mine to lend me his copy of the Hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy. Figure I might as well try it after I've already seen the film.
Hehe, that's what I said!

Megagun
Salesman

Post by Megagun » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:55 pm

fluffy_banana wrote:Just finished The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds a few days ago. A pretty excellent standalone hard sci-fi detective story set in Reynolds' Revelation Space universe (a series with a shared continuity and occasionally a few recurring characters, but you can almost jump in anywhere despite the wealth of history/universe details).
I happen to be currently reading Revelation Space, the first book in the Revelation Space universe. Quite liking it so far, though I have no idea where the story is progressing to...

Seeing as Revelation Space is the last book on my stack, I'm going to have to order some new books soon. I've been thinking about picking up some stuff by Asimov, as I haven't read any of that (for shame!), but unsure about what I need to get. Any recommendations?

Eth

Post by Eth » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:03 pm

I enjoyed I, Robot and Fantastic Voyage, myself.