Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!
Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers
I pretty much agree with your assessment and there is possibly a link to the fire at the JFK library. Also, the Boston Marathon runners come for the famous event from all over the world and the marathon itself has always been a fine representation of multiculturalism.Death 999 wrote:So, yesterday there was a terrorist attack near the finishing line of the Boston Marathon. At least three people are dead and 150 or so are injured, many severely.
Though no official word is out, I strongly suspect that this was domestic.
As I said elsewhere,I would bet at very very steep odds that this was homegrown, and, conditioning on that, noticeably less steep odds that it was right wing rather than left.
- It was done on tax day.
- This year, that happens to have lined up with Patriot's Day, the MA / ME-observed holiday in remembrance of the battles of Lexington and Concord. Revolutionary war reference!
- One of the major leads was from the police finding someone who kept cruising in front of a police station - the obvious story to explain this is that they were dithering on whether to report the plot, which suggests they were conflicted on the subject in a way that foreign agents might not be.
- It was not aimed at a symbol/instrument of American international hegemony (e.g. WTC, Pentagon), which international terrorists would be relatively likely to try. Though federal targets are hardened, a lot of corporate ones are still relatively vulnerable.
- It was not aimed at a symbol/instrument of American corporate hegemony (e.g. a stock exchange, a large corporation), which left-wingers would be relatively likely to try.
- Left-wing terror groups such as Weather Underground typically tried to maximize property damage while minimizing casualties (not a defense - their efforts to minimize casualties weren't exactly outstanding, and they were trying to terrorize rather than just vandalize). This attack was nearly the opposite.
On the other hand, it wasn't aimed at a symbol/instrument of overreaching Federal government either. However, a lot of those are hardened targets now, more so than corporate targets. The lack of ideal symbolic targets helps explain the non-symbolic target. Unless they're radical anti-fitness crusaders or something. I think we can neglect that explanation.
But that said, I grow weary of the right-wing / left-wing divide in our country. Whomever perpetrated this heinous crime is a sick person (or group of persons) regardless of their political affiliation. I know many fine, upstanding individuals of varying political stripes who would never condone what has happened. So yes, most likely there is some political motivation behind the tragedy but we should be careful not to use this horrific incident to paint an entire political group or line of thinking.
Unfortunately that's probably going to happen no matter who's responsible; it will probably be used for partisan gain even if there is no political motivation whatsoever.RTyp06 wrote: So yes, most likely there is some political motivation behind the tragedy but we should be careful not to use this horrific incident to paint an entire political group or line of thinking.
Actually they were citizens, at least one of them. They pretty much grew up here from ages 8 and 15. The younger had just received citizenship a year ago and seemed to be on a winning track. Since they caught the younger one alive, it should be interesting if he reveals motive. By all indications these kids seemed "normal" prior to this incident.Death 999 wrote:Well, looks like I was wrong. These two guys weren't US citizens, so unlikely to care all that much about domestic politics.
What a bloody disaster. Have a nasty feeling that the elder brother led the younger one astray. Friends of the younger fella were shocked and said he was a good guy, while the elder brother apparently had a bit of a checkered history and a shitty temper.