Political Discussion Megathread

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Political Discussion Megathread

Post by Alvarin »

oldlaptop wrote:
Death 999 wrote: - the lack of representation in their government by non-jews, at any level
If I'm not mistaken, there's at least two Palestinian/Arab parties seated in the Knesset (granted they're small parties).
There are. In addition, there are Arab representatives in most non-Arab parties with seats at Knesset as well.

I didn't get what you said about water supply, but Israel provides the Palestinians free of charge with water, electricity and gas, as well as medical supplies.

About obstructing commerce - what are you talking about?!

The blockade... well you have seen how many rockets were smuggled despite that, imagine without the blockade...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 »

So, the Knesset has 10 members and everything's hunky-dory, right? Oh wait.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir »

Alvarin wrote: I didn't get what you said about water supply, but Israel provides the Palestinians free of charge with water, electricity and gas, as well as medical supplies.
I think that's the point he's making. The Palestinians can't get water THEMSELVES, it's all coming through Israel. That's somewhat similar to the Russian gas situation, where one country's sitting on a pipeline of a vital supply and of COURSE they'd never DREAM of turning it off, that would be TERRIBLE, but just in case, maybe you'd better not antagonise them, hmm? HMM? Thought so.
oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop »

Dabir wrote: I think that's the point he's making. The Palestinians can't get water THEMSELVES, it's all coming through Israel. That's somewhat similar to the Russian gas situation, where one country's sitting on a pipeline of a vital supply and of COURSE they'd never DREAM of turning it off, that would be TERRIBLE, but just in case, maybe you'd better not antagonise them, hmm? HMM? Thought so.
Israel can't afford to shut utilities off, in all likelihood. It would jeopardize relations with the western world, to put things mildly.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir »

Right. But the fact that the option exists, as stupid as it would be for them to take it, is unacceptable.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

Only alternative to pipeline through Israel would be Egypt. I don't see them rushing to their brethern's help...
Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod »

Dabir wrote:Right. But the fact that the option exists, as stupid as it would be for them to take it, is unacceptable.
Can someone explain this water situation to me? Or provide a link? From what I understand, countries are able to control their own resources and where they go, so I can't really see how it would be possible for the option to NOT exist...
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 »

oldlaptop wrote:Israel can't afford to shut utilities off, in all likelihood. It would jeopardize relations with the western world, to put things mildly.
Oh, shut it OFF - certainly not. Limit it, absolutely. Compare Palestinean irrigation to Israeli irrigation.
That's considerably more than last time I checked. That growth is a good thing - how much effective power do they actually hold?
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

Dyandod wrote:
Dabir wrote:Right. But the fact that the option exists, as stupid as it would be for them to take it, is unacceptable.
Can someone explain this water situation to me? Or provide a link? From what I understand, countries are able to control their own resources and where they go, so I can't really see how it would be possible for the option to NOT exist...
You probably don't understand the SIZE (or, more accurately, size )of Israel and Gaza. There are extremely few water sources. And Israel was unable to build de-salination station there despite several attempts before we left Gaza.