Political Discussion Megathread

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

zenzmurfy
Arilou wiseguy

Re: Political Discussion Megathread

Post by zenzmurfy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:01 pm

RTyp06 wrote:
zenzmurfy wrote:The filibuster rule comes to a simple majority vote once in a while. I forget when. But this time they may reconsider changing the rules.
That would be nice but unfortunately both Democrats and Republicans want to keep it around in case they find themselves in the minority. Then on top of that, most of our politicians are beholden to the special interests that fund thier campaigns. With the super pacs able to generate secret, unlimited amounts of money from annonymous sources (thanks to the Citizens United decision from our Supreme Court), nobody knows for sure who is buying our politicians. Our system really is broken.

I hate to sound cynical but it's hard not to be.
That's what happened the last time, but now there are a few years of experience of it being abused. Maybe make it so people actually HAVE to appear and talk non-stop. At least make it not anonymous. That was insane.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:23 pm

Dyandod wrote:So... all you non-Americans out there- what are your thoughts on America/Obama right now? How does the world see us...?
I assume you're referring to the current unrest in the ME, not just your presidential race in general? From my point of view you're handlign thing pretty well. No grand overreaction that could push moderates towards the fundamental side such as invading more people, but no weakness either.
Since the demonstrating Libyans have now actually ransacked several militia compounds in Benghazi, I'd say you played this pretty well. A lot of the populace there is positive to you, and instead of squandering the goodwill you have you let it work for you.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:43 am

So I pay income tax, but not in the US. I guess I'm not part of the 47%, just not part of the 1% either.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:38 pm

Yeah, what do you guys think of Mitt's ham-fisted comments? Insight into his mentality, or is it how those people really think?

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Both, really. Republicans say things that break brains when they think they're behind closed doors, and Mitt Romney is so ludicrously independently wealthy that he's hopelessly out of touch with everyone who isn't in that sort of financial situation.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:17 pm

I didn't watch the debate because I wasn't feeling well. But according to the polls, Romney's the undisputed winner of the first debate. Which means his way of thinking is similar to the way a lot of people think.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:48 am

I'm not sure that conclusion is completely correct though. I mean, i think Romney came off better in the debate. Obama looked tired and worn, and talked more like a professor giving a lecture, while Romney was on the prowl, somewhat too aggressive but still coming off as energetic and filled with vitality.

But that I think Romney "won" the debate doesn't mean I agree with him. I mean, on points his tax reshuffle where everyone gets tax breaks and loopholes are closed to make it value neutral doesn't make sense unless the middle class loses out bigtime. And even if it is value neutral, how is that going to pay for all that military spending? Cutting PBS won't pay for more than a tank or two.

So I absolutely think Romney did much better, but I disagree with most of his politcal ideas and plans.

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:30 pm

Today we discussed racism and discrimination, as well as gender equality at my Swedish class. We made the assumption that Finnish, and especially Scandinavian equality is much more... equal than central European. From what I understand it is still somewhat common for German ladies to remain home and look after children, and especially for manager level positions there are some drastic differences in salary between males and females. In Finland the gender equality is mostly unbalanced in terms of wages, which is bollocks. I for one don't consider females any less effective workers than males assuming they have education, experience and willpower.

The racism topic ended with us agreeing that the main issue in Finland is that racism is explored too much by politicians and media: Once we have any kind of news that has to do with immigrants or foreigners we are immediately ultra-careful at appearing non-racist. It is kind of a new taboo to even consider the possibility that the immigrant is guilty in some kind of crime. The government is way too lenient in these matters, and once we are discussing racial equality everywhere they are kind of creating a problem that doesn't quite exist as largely as they believe exists. A study conducted by a pair of Finnish fellows whose names I forgot showed that about 80% of Finnish are either slightly positive or slightly negative (A bit of both) at the thought that racism in Finland is not racism, but simply cautious wisdom. They are careful in accepting a foreign culture or person in their lives. Only 8% felt that Finnish are strongly racist.

We also concluded that there exists no racism inside the national institutions: I have never heard of a case where immigrants are treated differently when they visit the police or doctor, unless there was a reason to. The only case we could think of was the tolling at the Russian border which is rightfully a bit "cautious".

Do you think racism is an issue created by talking too much about equality? Do you think the western world is more tolerant than, say, Arabian or Chinese?
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:17 pm

Interesting. I do agree that there is a pretty big problem in Scandinavia when it comes to daring to have an open discussion on immigration in any other terms than positive. Politicans are deathly scared of the racist card, but if you can't frame problems that do exist, it's hard to deal with them. The papers are also afraid of fanning the racist flames, so they do some really weird stuff at times.

But I also think there's a strong hint of "It's political correctness gone mad I can't even say these subhuman Somali niggers (not to mention the gypsy scum) should get executed without people thinking I'm a racist" in the Finnish discussion on the subject. In part I guess because our majority is so very big, it's easy to be blind to privilige you have especially when most everyone you know have it. A couple of quick counterpoints regarding foreigners in Finland. I mean peple wonder why they can't just write out clearly in a paper that the robber was from Iran, Somalia or a dreaded Roma. But as part of the majority they never consider some of the implications. If someone from Lahti gets busted, you won't have people all over grumbling in their morning coffee about those darn Lathelaiset. But if he i Somali? Then it's suddenly the whole group getting representation. Because people from Lahti are people, but those from Somalia are just a group.

One of my wife's good friends is married to an Italian. He's been in Finland for 7 years or so and learnt the language quite well. Being of a somewhat darker complexion, he still gets treated somewhat differently at hospitals, the unemplyoment office and so forth compared to more fair-skinned people. He might just be sensitive to stuff liek this I guess, but this is in general the ule I hear from foreigners with dark skin in Finland rather than the exception.

My sister lived in Finland with her English husband for 7 years. He never learned the language because he was running his own company. When visiting the doctor for his bad knee, he was routinely told to just eat a burana. It was usually implicated that he was exaggerating and being hysterical. He damaged his knee serving in the IDF and has a well documented history of problems with it, but those "foreign" papers with "funny symbols" (regardless of the fact that he also had them in English) didn't seem very important to the good doctors of Runosmäki.

Don't get me wrong, Finland is a good country, and I'd place it very high on the list of the best places in the world to live for a foreigner. But we're a fairly homogenous people who sometimes forget that things are different for those who aren't a part of the majority.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:21 pm

And then we have the BNP, who's foreign policy says:
In this regard, a BNP government will:

- Reach an accord with the Muslim world whereby they will agree to take back their excess population which is currently colonising this country, in exchange for an ironclad guarantee that Britain will never again interfere in the political affairs of the Middle East or try to dictate to any Arab or Muslim country as to what their internal government form should be
And education policy says:
- The ending of the scandalous and racist neglect that has left working class white boys at the bottom of the table for academic achievement;
This is just two examples of their mad policies. Luckily, they are hated by the vast majority of the public. They do, however, have an MEP or two, I believe.