Political Discussion Megathread

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

User avatar
Gekko
Ilwrath torturer
Posts: 409
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:55 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re: Political Discussion Megathread

Post by Gekko » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:29 pm

How about we consider it a memorial?
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

User avatar
Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 644
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:16 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Political Discussion Megathread

Post by Dyandod » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:47 am

So... all you non-Americans out there- what are your thoughts on America/Obama right now? How does the world see us...?
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

User avatar
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: Dead World

Re: Political Discussion Megathread

Post by Lukipela » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:51 pm

Gekko wrote:How about we consider it a memorial?
Fair enough.
Dyandod wrote:So... all you non-Americans out there- what are your thoughts on America/Obama right now? How does the world see us...?
I assume you're referring to the current unrest in the ME, not just your presidential race in general? From my point of view you're handlign thing pretty well. No grand overreaction that could push moderates towards the fundamental side such as invading more people, but no weakness either. Jemen has gotten a detachment of marines and the Libyans are actually cooperating with you. A lot of the new governments in that region are positive to you, aside from the whole Israel deal, so making sure you work with them instead of unilaterally helps you secure them with the west rather than China or Russia.

The presidential race looks absolutley insane right now though. You've got a guy who says he'll fix al lthe economic problems through unspecified means he refuses to talk about because he used to make a living running companies into the ground, with his sidekick wanting to cut down on social aid on an unprecedented scale while giving tax cuts to the rich and expanding the military budget because this will somehow fix the budget. Oh and no abortion, no assistance for battered women, no votes for the poor and whatnot.

Alen
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Political Discussion Megathread

Post by Alen » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:10 am

I find it comical when I see a news poll that says that its a close race.. If someone is actually willing to elect officials that sign a pledge to not raise any taxes in a recession, or try to pass laws in swing states to suppress voter turnout then perhaps an educated populace should be America's number one priority going forward.

User avatar
chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Political Discussion Megathread

Post by chenjesuwizard » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Lukipela wrote: The presidential race looks absolutley insane right now though. You've got a guy who says he'll fix al lthe economic problems through unspecified means he refuses to talk about because he used to make a living running companies into the ground, with his sidekick wanting to cut down on social aid on an unprecedented scale while giving tax cuts to the rich and expanding the military budget because this will somehow fix the budget. Oh and no abortion, no assistance for battered women, no votes for the poor and whatnot.
Pretty much sums up what everyone is feeling. I swear if Mitt Romney is voted in I will lose all faith in America.

User avatar
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Political Discussion Megathread

Post by Angelfish » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:56 pm

Dyandod wrote:So... all you non-Americans out there- what are your thoughts on America/Obama right now? How does the world see us...?
As long as a democrat stays in office you won't have any problems from europeans ;).

User avatar
RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:41 pm

Re: Political Discussion Megathread

Post by RTyp06 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:26 pm

chenjesuwizard wrote:
Lukipela wrote: The presidential race looks absolutley insane right now though. You've got a guy who says he'll fix al lthe economic problems through unspecified means he refuses to talk about because he used to make a living running companies into the ground, with his sidekick wanting to cut down on social aid on an unprecedented scale while giving tax cuts to the rich and expanding the military budget because this will somehow fix the budget. Oh and no abortion, no assistance for battered women, no votes for the poor and whatnot.
Pretty much sums up what everyone is feeling. I swear if Mitt Romney is voted in I will lose all faith in America.
Agreed, but as much as I detest Romney, keep in mind the president just isn't that powerful. It's Congress that is dysfunctional. Congress is so mired in partisan bickering and abusing the filibuster / super majority rule that virtually nothing can get through the House and Senate for the President to sign into law.
Our congress has worked for over 200 years but the republicans have (ab)used the filibuster more times since Obama took office in 2009 than the entire previous congressional history. It's no wonder congressional approval rating is around 10%, the lowest approval rating in the history of the United States.


fil·i·bus·ter
   [fil-uh-buhs-ter] Show IPA

noun
1.
U.S. Politics .
a.
the use of irregular or obstructive tactics by a member of a legislative assembly to prevent the adoption of a measure generally favored or to force a decision against the will of the majority.



su·per·ma·jor·i·ty
   [soo-per-muh-jawr-i-tee, -jor-] Show IPA

noun, plural, su·per·ma·jor·i·ties.
1.
a majority that must represent some percentage more than a simple majority.

2.
a majority greater than a specified number, as 60%, of the total: required to pass certain types of legislation, override vetos, etc.

User avatar
Zeracles
Pootworm
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:33 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Political Discussion Megathread

Post by Zeracles » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:31 am

Dyandod wrote:So... all you non-Americans out there- what are your thoughts on America/Obama right now? How does the world see us...?
There is a general perception here that your politics is stupid, largely fueled by a negative view of your republicans.

My take on it for some time was that this was probably caused by biased reporting - maybe we only hear exaggerated stories about your politics, that accentuate the differences with our own, because that makes the news more interesting. That maybe this was just an immature way for us to feel like we had something over the greatest nation on Earth. My thinking was something like `surely they can't be that different to us.' This is what I thought until hearing back from a mate of mine (we did undergrad maths together) who went to do his PhD in San Diego. Over lunch in Sydney on one of his return visits he told me that indeed your politics is as stupid as we hear. But probably not stupid enough for Sarah Palin to win the presidency.

Many of us may think your politics is ugly but it's hypocritical because we ourselves are drifting to the right and our politics, while perhaps not as bad is still quite ugly. Then again there are plans to broaden our healthcare to include dentistry and establish a disability insurance scheme, so there remains hope for compassion here yet.

As for the Middle East, I heard a rumour that you have your CIA in Syria kicking heads, nice going!
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

User avatar
zenzmurfy
Arilou wiseguy
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:12 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Political Discussion Megathread

Post by zenzmurfy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:14 pm

The filibuster rule comes to a simple majority vote once in a while. I forget when. But this time they may reconsider changing the rules.

User avatar
RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:41 pm

Re: Political Discussion Megathread

Post by RTyp06 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:13 pm

zenzmurfy wrote:The filibuster rule comes to a simple majority vote once in a while. I forget when. But this time they may reconsider changing the rules.
That would be nice but unfortunately both Democrats and Republicans want to keep it around in case they find themselves in the minority. Then on top of that, most of our politicians are beholden to the special interests that fund thier campaigns. With the super pacs able to generate secret, unlimited amounts of money from annonymous sources (thanks to the Citizens United decision from our Supreme Court), nobody knows for sure who is buying our politicians. Our system really is broken.

I hate to sound cynical but it's hard not to be.

Post Reply