Not quite Mycon...

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Not quite Mycon...

Post by Lukipela » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:50 pm

chenjesuwizard wrote: Oh, I live in the UK, so it's a bit different here, we have alot of types of mushrooms.
Sorry, didn't mean to impy we only have a few types of mushrooms up here, just that several of the edible ones are really easy to recognize and the few mixups that can occur are harmless. The one Freaky posted is part of a group of mushrooms I wouldn't pick myself, because I'm rubbish at telling them apart and some of them are pretty disgusting, though not fatal in general.

Dragon, what kind of mushrooms do you have over there? As an uneducated Euro I have no clue whatsoever as to what common South African mushrooms are.

FreakyM
Orz *camper*

Post by FreakyM » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:20 pm

The one I linked, known locally as Kangasrousku, is actually quite easy to recognize. It just so happens to be ridiculously plentiful, and best of all, since it tastes genuinely horrible before it is properly prepared, hardly any insects, larvae and whatso will touch it. My personal preference? Picking the very small ones. I find that they taste the best.
Not gone. Drifting in the flow of the world, observing.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:27 pm

so, what do all these shrooms taste like?

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:13 am

I live in North America. Around the north eastern U.S. There were some mushrooms that some friends and I had found in the woods one day that changed color from a bright yellow to deep blue. It was spectacular. After looking into them, I found that they were eatible. It was an amazing sight.

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:19 am

Lukipela wrote:What kind of mushrooms do you have over there? As an uneducated Euro I have no clue whatsoever as to what common South African mushrooms are.
As an uneducated Safrican I must say I haven't the foggiest. ;). I took a walk around this morning with my camera but couldn't find any. Unfortunately (or fortunately if you have to clean up after the dogs) it's still too dry for mushrooms to grow in the Highveld - where, not being an expert, I shouldn't think they grow particularly well in any case. It's all kinda grasslandy (see picture below from from teh internets).

I've spent quite a lot of time walking around the coastal forests in the Eastern Cape and that's where I have most of my mushroomy memories. Again, not being an expert, I can only tell you there were red ones, and purple ones and orange ones; and spotted with weird gradient ones and obviously white and brown ones. I didn't try eating any of them though, I probably wouldn't be typing this if I had :?.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:39 pm

Angelfish wrote:so, what do all these shrooms taste like?
The ones I pick generally taste good. Can't speak for the ones FreakyM picks, but I'll take his word for them being tasty as well.

Dragon, you should find out what kind of edible mushrooms your country has. I'm hoping you find something edible that has really cool colours. if you do, I'd love to get some in the post.

Oh, here are some pics of our mushrooms.
Attachments
DSC03755.JPG
DSC03755.JPG (216.15 KiB) Viewed 2381 times
DSC03737.JPG
DSC03737.JPG (286.67 KiB) Viewed 2381 times

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:59 pm

Luki: could you describe the taste in more detail? I'd like to know how those mushrooms taste, do they all taste alike? Personally I find a distinct taste in texture between shrooms with pores and shrooms with 'gills'.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:45 pm

Sorry man, I really don't know how to describe the taste of a mushroom. I'd like to, but I just don't know what adjectives to use.

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:39 am

I've come to the conclusion that SA has a really boring selection of edible mushrooms. We have white button mushrooms (not indigenous) Portabello mushrooms (not indigenous) and Oyster mushrooms (not indigenous). And, um, seriously that seems to be it.

Lartil
Hunam adventurer

Post by Lartil » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:03 pm

I remember walking in the forest and found this mushroom on a dead tree, and one time I was pulling out the weeds and I found a mushroom that sorta released this black inky stuff on my hand, I'll never know what it really was though
BONSAI!!!! TREE.... Mindwise I'm a kid