Not quite Mycon...

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Not quite Mycon...

Post by Lukipela » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:09 pm

But tasty anyhow! We went mushroom gathering on Sunday and got a few Craterellus cornucopioides and a whole load of Craterellus tubaeformis. They're delicious mushrooms and we made a creamy sauce with them and onions. and loads of butter of course.

Does anyone else here collect dirty pieces of nature and eat them untreated? Berries, mushrooms, whatever? Or am I the only one who tramps around the forest looking for stuff to eat and curing mosquitoes?

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Re: Not quite Mycon...

Post by chenjesuwizard » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:13 pm

You're not really meant to eat wild mushrooms unless you want to go mad or have a death wish.
Or you KNOW, you KNOW what it is (a lot of poisonous mushrooms look like edible ones).
Everytime I see a mushroom, I take a picture of it. Then I find out what it is.
It's just something to pass the time.
Every year we go and collect berries (eg. Blackberries, Sloe, Rowan Berries). It saves us a ton of money on Jam (we have a HUGE crop in the local park, plus we eat a lot of jam.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:30 pm

I once sustained my youngest son during a tramp through the woods with a handful of raspberries. If I see blackberries or blueberries or huckleberries I always sample them. I've gone hunting for morel mushrooms with my mother. They taste fantastic (and I'm generally indifferent to mushrooms) though they aren't eaten "untreated;" you have to cook them.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:30 pm

chenjesuwizard wrote:You're not really meant to eat wild mushrooms unless you want to go mad or have a death wish.
Or you KNOW, you KNOW what it is (a lot of poisonous mushrooms look like edible ones).
Don't know about your corner of the world, but that's not quite true around here. There are several ushrooms (such as the ones I linked above that are impossible to mistake for others. There are also several mushroom groups such as the Boletales which contains only one or two really easily distinguishable poisonous ones and otherwise edible ones. But like I said, that's up here in Scandinavia.
Every year we go and collect berries (eg. Blackberries, Sloe, Rowan Berries). It saves us a ton of money on Jam (we have a HUGE crop in the local park, plus we eat a lot of jam.
We collect blueberries mostly, and some wild rasperries. And lingonberries, though you can't eat those as such so I usually never bother. Jams and mushrooms are things you can save a pretty penny on, unless you take into account the amount of time spent collecting them.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:35 pm

I don't go to the forest specifically for that anymore, but I've eaten Boletus Edulus (we call it squirrelbread) before. And furthermore various berries like blackberries.. And I've also eaten chestnuts and hazelnuts that grew in the wild ;).

Also, speaking of fungi, check out this drawing by Erol Otus.
See anything familiar?

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:36 pm

Lukipela wrote:
chenjesuwizard wrote:You're not really meant to eat wild mushrooms unless you want to go mad or have a death wish.
Don't know about your corner of the world, but that's not quite true around here. There are several ushrooms (such as the ones I linked above that are impossible to mistake for others. There are also several mushroom groups such as the Boletales which contains only one or two really easily distinguishable poisonous ones and otherwise edible ones. But like I said, that's up here in Scandinavia.
Oh, I live in the UK, so it's a bit different here, we have alot of types of mushrooms.
Lukipela wrote:
Chenjesuwizard wrote: Every year we go and collect berries (eg. Blackberries, Sloe, Rowan Berries). It saves us a ton of money on Jam (we have a HUGE crop in the local park, plus we eat a lot of jam.
We collect blueberries mostly, and some wild rasperries. And lingonberries, though you can't eat those as such so I usually never bother. Jams and mushrooms are things you can save a pretty penny on, unless you take into account the amount of time spent collecting them.
Yeh, we have a huge crop each year.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:47 pm

You should be able to find the 'squirrelbread' I was talking about ;).
And if you really want to have fun you should try these once: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_semilanceata
they grow in the UK aswell!

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:28 am

I'll eat mulberries if they're around. Got hit by one yesterday that's left a nice purple stain in the back of a good shirt - it's probably never coming out.

One of my dogs is a fiend for any sort of fungi - Mycon beware. Unfortunately he's never made the connection that most don't agree with him and then throws it back up again. In the house. In the middle of the night. *sigh*

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:53 am

Why does Gibj'o like Shlupp so much? That's because he is a fun guy.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

FreakyM
Orz *camper*

Post by FreakyM » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:23 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactarius_rufus is a nice one. Once properly handled, they taste delicious.
Not gone. Drifting in the flow of the world, observing.