What's your usual poison?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: What's your usual poison?

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:43 pm

glory_device wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote: I've even found myself choosing iced tea or lemonade over soda these days.
Unless it is homemade...it's no better than a good old pop unfortunately! There are a few lemonade in supermarkets that are kinda okay...but, commercial iced tea is no different than a cola. Furthermore...it doesn't taste tea at all (and I'm a huge tea drinker).
Yup, you're quite right, and for that reason I use the 3 ingredients rule when getting lemonade: Water, lemons and sugar, and when I occassionally drink tea and it's usually the fresh brewed kind. We do most of our shopping at a local farmer's market; although it may be more expensive, it's worth it to at least try to eat a little bit healthier.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:14 am

The Troglodyte wrote:I totally agree. Sugar is not a health food by any means, but high-fructose corn syrup and artificial sweetners are both so bad for you!
I don't really buy into the negative health hype. HFCS is functionally very close to sugar in almost all respects - except taste. The problem is, it's in everything! As for the artificial sweeteners, I've never seen anything convincing about their negative health effects: it's suggestive, at best, and there is no real mechanism for their toxicity. I just think they taste horrible.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:07 pm

The problem is not with the toxicity per say...Like you pointed out, it's really close to natural sugar produced by fruits and yada yada...The real problem is the sheer quantity that is present in processed food.

It's probably slightly exagerated but that pictures really showcase what I mean: http://blogs-images.forbes.com/robwater ... Slide4.jpg

Sugar is actually essential for our body, fat and proteins too...but not int he kind of quantity that processed food usually convey. Eating habits is also an issue there. I feel like I always eat on the go and don't take a proper time out to eat.
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:44 pm

I think it’s safe to say that I’m biased when it comes to nutrition, considering that my wife is studying to become a nutritionist. I’ve adapted a mostly whole foods diet while avoiding foods that have been highly processed, since there’s a notion that in many processed foods, most of the vital nutrients have been choked out or contaminated with things like nitrates, phosphates, other acids, additives, preservatives, and other crazy stuff. Regardless, I’ve still gotta have my fried chicken or pizza every now and then!

In the example of high-fructose corn syrup, it’s not that in itself that is most concerning, but rather the actual corn itself. In the United States, the mass-produced quantities are often genetically modified for a larger yield to meet the needs of high demand. Then, when the corn starch is broken down of all essential carbohydrates and infused with acid-enzymes, it produces fructose. Then, the process is refined and repeated with other enzymes and junk until the optimal result is produced. Then it’s added to coke and we get to drink it.
Bleeding Star wrote:The problem is, it's in everything!
How true! Just take a look at any box of food that came from a factory, you’ll most likely find it contains corn in one form or another, mostly in the form of HFCS. This, among other things, helps explain the reason for rampant obesity as well as the escalation of diseases such as diabetes in America.

Bleeding Star wrote:I don't really buy into the negative health hype.
All things considered, that’s understandable. I can certainly relate to most any skepticism when it comes to what’s healthy and what’s not; so much of is up to different views of interpretation. I’ve seen the “one glass of wine per day” regimen be praised one day for lowering cholesterol or its digestive benefits, and how everybody should do it. The following week it’s being condemned for long-term liver damage or increasing your chances of getting cancer, etc. Then it’s wash, rinse, repeat. The reality is that we’re just beginning to scratch the surface as it pertains to nutrition.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

fluffy_banana
Hunam adventurer

Post by fluffy_banana » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:04 pm

A pint of cask ale from the tap served at just under room temperature, but if that isn't handy (say I'm at a dinner party or dear lord forbid some kind of club) a gin and tonic or whiskey sour does me fine.

If we're talking drinks that aren't strictly poison, then a black Yorkshire brew with a little milk and sugar* in the morning and an Earl Grey with lemon pretty much any time of day.

*There is a great deal of contention over whether the milk goes first in the cup or last, but frankly I think the only real question is whether to quaff the dregs or leave them -- a contextual question largely predicated on the size of your tea leaves and their predilection to sneak through the strainer or not.
Once again we meet to exchange valuable tangibles. Isn't this fun?!