Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: BUY MY SHIT
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:59 am 
Pootworm

Quasispatial wrote:
{2} - I admit I'm not entirely sure how to interpret this bit. To avoid confusion and to clear the way for a more sensible reply, I would ask for a clarification, if possible.
I was replying to what seemed to be an understanding that we would for some time have two boards in parallel, with the success or failure of the new one depending on its activity or whatever. The new forum starts at zero, and is likely to stay that way unless the members here decide to move. An extant membership gives a forum inertia that the new forum doesn't have. So I don't think the new board can be called successful or unsuccessful based on activity.

Quasispatial wrote:
{4 & 4.5} - Hmm? What is this other *time* Death speaks of, and that you've apparently held for a while? I'm afraid I know nothing of it - have I missed something here? Perhaps, if you wouldn't mind, a link could be handy - might as well register over there, as I admit I am curious.
It's a subdomain of my personal site here. Nothing fancy, everything is default. I think I fixed the smtp settings for now. Registration emails (from scdbmesprylum@gmail.com) may be caught in spam folders.

But what would be best is if Scott reappears and appoints some admins.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:37 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Zeracles wrote:
Quasispatial wrote:
{2} - I admit I'm not entirely sure how to interpret this bit. To avoid confusion and to clear the way for a more sensible reply, I would ask for a clarification, if possible.
I was replying to what seemed to be an understanding that we would for some time have two boards in parallel, with the success or failure of the new one depending on its activity or whatever. The new forum starts at zero, and is likely to stay that way unless the members here decide to move. An extant membership gives a forum inertia that the new forum doesn't have. So I don't think the new board can be called successful or unsuccessful based on activity.

Quasispatial wrote:
{4 & 4.5} - Hmm? What is this other *time* Death speaks of, and that you've apparently held for a while? I'm afraid I know nothing of it - have I missed something here? Perhaps, if you wouldn't mind, a link could be handy - might as well register over there, as I admit I am curious.
It's a subdomain of my personal site here. Nothing fancy, everything is default. I think I fixed the smtp settings for now. Registration emails (from scdbmesprylum@gmail.com) may be caught in spam folders.

But what would be best is if Scott reappears and appoints some admins.

Fair enough. I suppose you're correct in that it wouldn't really work that way. I went ahead and registered - can confirm that the confirmation email works now. Went ahead and made a "hello new users" thread -of sorts- too; username's the same here and there in case you're curious. Hopefully Scott'll appear once more and fix the problems, but in case that doesn't happen, at least we've got some sort of backup plan now.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:42 pm 
Pootworm

Okay, you're also a mod there. My preference for handling spam is to have many members who can shoot spam down. In my mind that's preferable to limiting spammers by delaying new user registrations.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:53 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

If this issue persists, we could try and ask asylum at the official star control forums? (ie. the stardock ones?)

Anyway, I'm up for offering technical support for a migration. I think death999 already has a scrape of this forum, but if that's not there yet I could run one if that helps.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:14 am 
Pootworm

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that possibility. Technical expertise would be very welcome if we get to that point. As for when we get to that point, I think we should move on this in mid-June. Does anyone think the administration should be given more time?

Quasispatial wrote:
I'm just saying that if we make him angry enough, it might just backfire. It's a risk-reward kind of thing; if it works, the board'll be better off for it, but it could also end up driving Scott further away from what he could perceive as a 'hostile' forum, which would further lessen the chance of a solution presenting itself.
You can be the good cop to my bad cop.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:09 am 
Slylandro gasbags

Mid june seems too early, with the holidays and all (not sure about you guys, sorry for being so northern hemisphere centric, but where I live then the holiday season begins).

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:40 am 
Pootworm

Weeeell . . . in mid-June I might have some time because that's when the uni I work at has a break. Then I'm lecturing a month later. Doing the whole Lukipela-community-building thing while lecturing could be hard. But I guess it depends on what load I have.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:52 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Angelfish wrote:
I think death999 already has a scrape of this forum, but if that's not there yet I could run one if that helps.

I do not. I think I mentioned saving some of the fanfic and other specifically notable content, but I haven't gotten around to it yet, not even my own. I could get on that, but I don't have actual 'scraping' tools, so if you do, that would be superior.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:51 am 
Arilou wiseguy

Well, I personally consider the UQM forum to be a fall back for this one, and vice-versa.
Seeing how active both are, they could just as well be combined into one.
But this way we have a fall-back if for whatever reason one or the other is not accessible anymore.

A new site will also have issues with attracting newcomers,as it will not be associated with a corresponding "big" information site having to do with the SC franchise.

Actually, if you want a well-modded fall-back forum, go to the commercial site of StarControl Origins (https://forums.starcontrol.com/).
I bet this site will survive longer than theirs.
Usually commercial forum sites for games get disused "shortly" after game release and end of franchise, and after 3-5 years someone pulls the plug on the forum.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:45 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Will wonders never cease? Three new mods though we appear to be blue instead of brown. deat and Alvarin, did you notice that you are mods?

edit: The ACP is as terrible as ever but I changed the default geoyps around so now all mods are brown

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next