Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Let's talk about Star Control 3.....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:25 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.
The thing is...I got star control 3 on GOG and it automatically starts dosbox and Puts in the command...so I don't really know how to use it. I know how to get into dobox but I don' know what to do from there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:01 am 
Slylandro gasbags

palmpet wrote:
The thing is...I got star control 3 on GOG and it automatically starts dosbox and Puts in the command...so I don't really know how to use it. I know how to get into dobox but I don' know what to do from there.

Could you somehow find which config file it uses for dosbox? I don't have the GOG version and I can't really emulate your situation without buying SC3 from them ;).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:17 pm 
Hunam adventurer

Storywise, I think SC3's Eternal Ones plotline and a lot of the new races were pretty good. Not as compelling as the Ur-quan, but it works well enough. The idea of the quadrant being run by a corrupt and incompetent semi-empire who are utterly unprepared for the real threat destabilizing the galaxy is pretty good, even though it could have been fleshed out more. I even think the Precursor cow idea is interesting in a goofy kind of way.

A lot of the SC2 races didn't really fit in though. Even with half the original cast cut out, they still struggled to find things for them to do - like do we really need to fix the Ultron again? I like the idea of splitting the Chmmr but it doesn't go anywhere. The Vux did get some of the funniest non-copied dialog though ("What do you know, NO RESOURCES!")

But really, you could take most or all of the SC2 races out altogether and it wouldn't change the main plot THAT much. They could have put the work into adding 6-10 races to develop the Kessari Quadrant more instead. Like the idea of "inter-dimensional fatigue" causing strange things to happen is good; they should have pushed it a lot farther than a few star systems collapsing. The "ancients" race is a pretty common sci-fi trope, so the Precursors could easily be replaced with something similar. Accolade wanted to slowly phase out all the SC1/2 stuff so they could eventually use the name "Star Control" without needing to credit or pay TFB for anything, and it shows.

Basically, SC3's plotline could have easily taken place in its own universe not named "Star Control" instead. With that and a couple more iterations on polishing the gameplay, I think it would be regarded as a good SC-inspired game. Even as it is, I still think it's a decent game on its own merits.