The Jupiter Hypothetical

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

The Jupiter Hypothetical

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:16 pm

Heard this one the other day:

"How would things be different if Earth was the size of Jupiter?"
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Re: The Jupiter Hypothetical

Post by Maloo Oture » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:28 am

The Troglodyte wrote:Heard this one the other day:

"How would things be different if Earth was the size of Jupiter?"
Assuming we still has the same mass, gravity, atmospheric pressure, etc?

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:35 pm

I woulod have to assume not, since if Earth were the size of Jupiter it would have to have a miniscule density in order to maintain the same mass. I can't imagine a bipedal lifeform would ever evolve on a rocky world the size of Jupiter, as the extreme gravity would make that extremely impractical.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:57 pm

Since it's a hypothetical, why don't we look at it from both angles?

How would Earth be different today under the assumption that we have to account for mass and density and any other scientific ramifications involving physics and stuff like that. Would there be any life whatsoever? Would the oceans all evaporate? Observations? Theories? Predictions?

or...

What if Maloo's question were answered by "Yes", and all-powerful supernatural powers (similar to the powers of the "Q" entity) made it possible to account for the atmospheric pressure and gravity and blah, blah, blah science junk. How would civilization and everything else be different had the Earth been this way since the dawn of man? Any thoughts?
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:27 am

So if science is taken into account, I don't think life as we know it would have ever evolved.

If not, I think the dinosaurs would still be a dominant life form. The asteroid that killed the dinosaurs would not have had the same impact on the planet if Earth were that big. Also, there'd probably be thousands more biomes and even more diversity than the most diverse periods of life on Earth.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Mon May 09, 2016 9:52 pm

Maloo Oture wrote:If not, I think the dinosaurs would still be a dominant life form. The asteroid that killed the dinosaurs would not have had the same impact on the planet if Earth were that big.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36073592