Another Hypothetical

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Another Hypothetical

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri May 22, 2015 10:17 pm

What if you could go back in time to any point in history and witness any historical event as a "spectator"? And by spectator, I mean you'd be unable to alter history or interact with people, you'd basically be a "fly on the wall". There would also be a "universal translator" available, if needed. You can also bring your favorite dessert, if you like. What event would you want to witness? What would your dessert be?
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Another Hypothetical

Post by Dyandod » Sat May 23, 2015 4:01 am

I'll go to whenever they invented cheesecake. And I'll bring cheesecake.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sat May 23, 2015 4:45 am

I'd like to be a spectator of the official "cutting the ribbon" on the first fully colonized planet outside our solar system. And bring ice cream.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Sat May 23, 2015 5:35 am

The Troglodyte wrote:go back in time
Alvarin wrote:I'd like to be a spectator of the official "cutting the ribbon" on the first fully colonized planet outside our solar system. And bring ice cream.
I'm quite sure that "going back in time" does not include the future. Just saying.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sat May 23, 2015 5:58 am

Missed the "back" part...

Guess I'd want to go witness the alleged miracles of Mithra or Jesus. Still bring the ice cream. Good choice in this part of the world :)
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Sat May 23, 2015 4:07 pm

Alvarin wrote:Guess I'd want to go witness the alleged miracles of Mithra or Jesus. Still bring the ice cream. Good choice in this part of the world :)
Ok, now that you have it narrowed down to Mithra or Jesus, which one would you prefer? And which miracles would you want to witness? And what flavor of ice cream?
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Sat May 23, 2015 5:06 pm

Think I would want to have a look at the Moon landing. Besides, it would give me an opportunity to goof around in the moon's low-g environment.
...you aren't subjected to the environmental hazards of the surroundings, are you? Say, for instance, if one were to go back and look at the Hiroshima nuke point-blank, would one be vaporized? (Essentially, I do not want to instantly suffocate and/or freeze/boil to death, but a spacesuit is cumbersome so I'd avoid that if possible)

Desert...
Cake. The one which is not a lie, of course.
Or pannacotta perhaps. Each one has its merits.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Sat May 23, 2015 5:19 pm

I would go and see for myself in slow motion how Kennedy died..or perhaps sneak on him and see the truths!

That being said...my desert would be damn hard choice...Chocolate chip cookies or carrot cake!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Sat May 23, 2015 9:27 pm

Quasispatial wrote:Think I would want to have a look at the Moon landing. Besides, it would give me an opportunity to goof around in the moon's low-g environment.
...you aren't subjected to the environmental hazards of the surroundings, are you? Say, for instance, if one were to go back and look at the Hiroshima nuke point-blank, would one be vaporized? (Essentially, I do not want to instantly suffocate and/or freeze/boil to death, but a spacesuit is cumbersome so I'd avoid that if possible)

Desert...
Cake. The one which is not a lie, of course.
Or pannacotta perhaps. Each one has its merits.
That is correct. To keep it simple and worry-free, let's just say that you'd be more like a spirit or a ghost, able to see everything that's going on, from any vantage point you like. Think of it like the spectator view that is available on certain video games. Also, you'd still be able to assume the physical nature of human-form as well, that way you can still have your low gravity fun! Moon landing...interesting answer.

I've never had panna cotta, but I looked it up and it looks and sounds delicious! I think you should go with that. By the way, the dessert is also under the same "spirit rule", so you don't have to worry about your panna cotta floating out into space!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon May 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Dyandod wrote:I'll go to whenever they invented cheesecake. And I'll bring cheesecake.
I think somebody likes cheesecake! Turtle cheesecake is one of my personal favorites.
glory_device wrote:I would go and see for myself in slow motion how Kennedy died..or perhaps sneak on him and see the truths!

That being said...my desert would be damn hard choice...Chocolate chip cookies or carrot cake!
Intriguing choice. But I'm not sure that the ability to slow down time would be allowed, but I think we can make an exception in your case! After all, we would finally know the truth of whether or not Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone, or if there was a second shooter!

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting....ghahhhahhahh! <-----(just imagine Homer Simpson drooling sounds!)