Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Let's talk about Star Control 3.....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:46 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.
You know...Star Control 3 has been known as the phantom menace of star control. It is constantly panned and called awful. While I agree with most sentiments and don't see it as canon...I just want ask everyone what they think...and basically ask "What was actually bad about Star control 3". Because...I actually like some of the new races....a few of the ideas... (Despite how stupid it is that the precursors are cows it is an interesting concept about a race devolving) and even some of the twists...so yeah. What did you hate/like about Star control 3?

Post subject: Re: Let's talk about Star Control 3.....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:28 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

Well, it had its good points. The DakTakLakPak were quite nice, as their dialogue could be somewhat amusing, and the Spathi were in character, I'll give them that.

Space combat was horrendously unbalanced. The Claircontlar were stupidly overpowered, and the Doog's self-healing/homing minigun ship just wasn't beatable without some stupidity from the AI's side. Battlefields were too small, too. Was more button-spam than an actual case of tactical movement. They should have made the battlefield a lot bigger, and slowed everything down a bit, instead of trying to fix what wasn't broken.

The story was... odd. It had a few good points, but for the most part, the game was just... wierd. They nerfed the flagship terribly, too.

The music didn't really 'work' the way it did in Star Control 2. It just wasn't the same.

It would crash, as it was riddled with bugs and if some things were done in the wrong order the game would malfunction.

All in all, the game wasn't really all that good by its own merits, and when compared to its predecessor, simply terrible. I suspect it would have done better if it hadn't been connected to Star Control.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:22 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

I am not going to mark any spoilers for this game, it doesn't deserve it (it doesn't look like anyone else is either). Reader beware!

SC3 is a pretty interesting case. As has been mentioned, as a follow up to SC2 it was a tremendous disappointment, but even on its own merits I feel like the game was decidedly mediocre, trending more towards bad. There are a whole heap of ideas that are so poorly implemented, despite sounding great on paper. That said, I want to hit the high points first:

I have always loved the Orz voice acting in the game. The deep voiced interjections used for sections of best-fits gave every dialog a really ominous quality, and was very effective at making them seem creepy and dangerous. I was terribly disappointed when I finally heard the SC2 voice acting for the Orz years later and it simply didn't stack up.

Despite much of it being recycled, the Spathi dialog was always on-point and in character. It's pretty clear the VA was having a good time with it too. Even the Spahi puppet is probably the best looking of the bunch.

The concept of the Xchagger - microscopic sentients being forced to serve as a biological weapon - is pretty amazing. A shame the game didn't do much with it.

The landing party system, where different races have varying affinities toward planetary environments, is a pretty neat idea that makes you want to make and keep as many allies during the game as possible.

And that kind of leads into the bad stuff:

Several of the new races have good concepts that simply don't go anywhere or are rapidly dropped, which means most of them have minimal development as characters. This, like so much else, is emblematic of the squandered potential inherent within the game.

Colony management could have been an excellent subgame if it were handled correctly, Instead, we got an excercise in slider bar management. This wouldn't be as horrible if you didn't have to pay very close attention to it at one point in the game in order to complete the Doog quest. Forcing the player to be actively involved in sitting and waiting in order to collect RUs as they slowly accumulate, but before they are all consumed by the growing colony, is the worst kind of tedium.

The "3D" combat perspective is notoriously difficult to gauge distances in. At least they included an option to switch to overhead.

The majority of the new ships have some sort of homing weapons, all of which are much better than the homing weapons on the old ships (or in fact, any of the ships from SC2), which throws the sense of combat balance straight out the window. Several of them also feature crew regeneration or defensive abilities, which were comparatively rare in SC2.

Let's just get this out of the way: the majority of the puppets are pretty ugly. Arilou and Syreen are probably the worst offenders there.

This game features several places where you can use a dialog option and get an instant game over. While SC2 did have one of these as well, it made it really obvious what was going to happen and even gave you a chance to back out before you committed. SC3 springs them on you with little or no warning, especially in scenarios where SC2 would have let you continue, albeit with a penalty like a broken alliance or similar. "You lied to the Owa" is the most egregious example in my opinion. This is to say nothing of the ICOM police, who will reprimand you only a few times for "messing up" in dialogs with neutral aliens before relieving you of command and giving you an instant game over as well. All of this discounts the shoddy programming, which can get you caught in unwinnable scenarios simply by playing the game "wrong" or "in an order other than the one the developers intended," bad news for what is ostensibly a wide open game like SC2.

Lots and lots of the dialog was recycled from SC2. Granted, SC2 has memorable and excellent dialog, but that only highlights the fact that it was plagarized even more.

The 3D starmap is another idea that probably sounded great on paper (it worked reasonably well in SC1, after all), but on the scale that SC3 puts it in, it makes it basically impossible to figure out distances without poking a star and checking fuel consumption. It makes having a good mental picture of where you are overall basically impossible.

The game insists on answering questions we never knew we needed to ask (Why are the VUX so mean? No, not because they're xenophobic narcissist jerks, it's because they were experimented on by the Precursors and have an incomplete genome! Wait, what?) while pointedly ignoring some of the biggest hanging questions from SC2 (What exactly did the Orz do to the Androsynth? Who knows, who cares! But we're going to lampshade the fact that we won't address it by doing the same thing to the Supox and then failing to address it too!). The end result is that the game answers a pile of questions you never knew you had nor that you ever cared about the answers to (The Chmmr are, in fact, not secretly evil! No, the Mycon really actually aren't sentient!), while allowing you to continue to debate all of the unanswered mysteries left behind by SC2 (except for the Precursors, apparently they are cows now).

So yeah, SC3 is really not a good game, even divested of its brand association. Too many ambitious and questionable design decisions, coupled with what, in hindsight, looks to be a mad rush to get a product out the door on a deadline, resulted in a slipshod effort that satisfied basically nobody.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:12 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

You know one minor thing that annoyed me.....where are the Zoq-Fot and shofixti?! Atleast the shofixti got a mention but the Zoq Fot might as well not exist in star control 3. I understand why the yehat technically aren't there but this gets no explanation....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:32 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

I'm guessing the one guy who had played SC2 on the SC3 team didn't figure out that you could save them from extermination. :P-smf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:42 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

The 3D starmap would have been OK if...

1) they had used constellations instead of individual stars, and shown the lines, with distinct colors which obey a few consistent gradients (e.g. constellations on the up side are redder, the east side are greener, the north side are bluer -- up-east-north is light; low-west-south is dark)

2) stars distant from the selected star would be dimmer/grayer

3) the field rotated around an axis tilted slightly towards you from the vertical, and grid lines are always shown.

or *something*.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:05 am 
Ilwrath torturer

Another random thing missing.....where are the umgah aswell! I would have thought they were more likely to come than the mycon!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:51 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

There are so many things in SC3 that theoretically could have been pretty cool but really none of them ended up like that. Oh well...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:38 am 
Slylandro gasbags

Dyandod wrote:
There are so many things in SC3 that theoretically could have been pretty cool but really none of them ended up like that. Oh well...

The voice acting was great (waaaay better than tickle me elmo SC2 voice acting) :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:11 am 
Ilwrath torturer

The worst races in the game to me were definetly the Equivians and the Heralds. Mainly just because of how boring they are.