Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where are you heading?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:36 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Bleeding Star wrote:
How about now?
Angelfish wrote:
I don't know what ADR means but I hope that you're fine :)

Well, it has been a year, so yes, I have been drinking my fair share of brews.

ADR stands for artificial disc replacement, and it was indeed a lifesaver. After my injury, my quality of life plummeted; I had severe back and neck pain, plus a pinched nerve which limited function in my left arm and left my left hand numb and left weak. After my surgery and physical therapy, I'm so much better and back to normal, and I feel I've made a 100% recovery, although hospital bills depleted much of my savings, and I say the word "left" constantly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:00 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

The Troglodyte wrote:
Bleeding Star wrote:
How about now?
Angelfish wrote:

Well, it has been a year, so yes, I have been drinking my fair share of brews.

ADR stands for artificial disc replacement, and it was indeed a lifesaver. After my injury, my quality of life plummeted; I had severe back and neck pain, plus a pinched nerve which limited function in my left arm and left my left hand numb and left weak. After my surgery and physical therapy, I'm so much better and back to normal, and I feel I've made a 100% recovery, although hospital bills depleted much of my savings, and I say the word "left" constantly.

Thanks for the explanation. Even though us non-native speakers can read and write English quite well, acronyms are always troublesome since we don't use the same ones in our native languages.
I'm glad to see you're alright, sad to see that the bills didn't get covered :'(.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:49 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

Oh geez, I missed your announcement.
I'm happy that it went well, and you're on the way to recovery.

edit: fell into the trap of a necro....

Anyway, glad you got better....!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:50 am 
Ilwrath spawn

Good to hear. A life without beer is no life at all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:41 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Angelfish wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. Even though us non-native speakers can read and write English quite well, acronyms are always troublesome since we don't use the same ones in our native languages.

I sometimes forget since so many of our members are very fluent in English, a language which has many pitfalls and weird intricacies (especially the Americanized dialect). I think I now have a better understanding as to why "walls of text" can be annoying at times.

krulle wrote:
Oh geez, I missed your announcement.
I'm happy that it went well, and you're on the way to recovery.

Yeah, it had been a while since Bleeding Star had last visited, so since it was last August when my surgery took place, it may have seemed to appear as if it just recently happened.

Bleeding Star wrote:
Good to hear. A life without beer is no life at all.

Truer words have never been spoken. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:36 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

The Troglodyte wrote:
Angelfish wrote:

I sometimes forget since so many of our members are very fluent in English, a language which has many pitfalls and weird intricacies (especially the Americanized dialect). I think I now have a better understanding as to why "walls of text" can be annoying at times.

I know, but acronyms rarely mean anything unless they are the same in the daily languag that people speak :).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:14 am 
Ilwrath spawn

Angelfish wrote:

I was going with Audio Digital Recording or something, and I'm a native speaker.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:44 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Bleeding Star wrote:
Angelfish wrote:

I was going with Audio Digital Recording or something, and I'm a native speaker.

I'm not even really sure why I called it that, but it was probably because I heard the doctors use the abbreviated term so often, and also because I was too distracted by the prospect of confronting my own mortality.

Watch out Bleeding Star! If you become any more perfect... you're going to turn into an Ilwrath!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:00 am 
Ilwrath spawn

Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.
Well I'm currently at a family friends house due to hurricane Irma.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:57 am 
Arilou wiseguy

That sounds....
good, cause you seem to be alive and healthy (and I sincerely hope, everyone you love is healthy too).
bad, cause it sounds like your home is not available right now. (But I do hope your home survived the storm well. If not, I sincerely hope the insurance will not make a fuss.)

I wish you strength!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next