Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:55 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Where are you heading?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:36 pm 
Offline
Slylandro gasbags
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:16 pm
Posts: 1063
Location: Dallas, TX
Bleeding Star wrote:
How about now?
Angelfish wrote:
I don't know what ADR means but I hope that you're fine :)

Well, it has been a year, so yes, I have been drinking my fair share of brews.

ADR stands for artificial disc replacement, and it was indeed a lifesaver. After my injury, my quality of life plummeted; I had severe back and neck pain, plus a pinched nerve which limited function in my left arm and left my left hand numb and left weak. After my surgery and physical therapy, I'm so much better and back to normal, and I feel I've made a 100% recovery, although hospital bills depleted much of my savings, and I say the word "left" constantly.

_________________
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” - Khan Noonien Singh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are you heading?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:00 pm 
Offline
Slylandro gasbags
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm
Posts: 1579
The Troglodyte wrote:
Bleeding Star wrote:
How about now?
Angelfish wrote:
I don't know what ADR means but I hope that you're fine :)

Well, it has been a year, so yes, I have been drinking my fair share of brews.

ADR stands for artificial disc replacement, and it was indeed a lifesaver. After my injury, my quality of life plummeted; I had severe back and neck pain, plus a pinched nerve which limited function in my left arm and left my left hand numb and left weak. After my surgery and physical therapy, I'm so much better and back to normal, and I feel I've made a 100% recovery, although hospital bills depleted much of my savings, and I say the word "left" constantly.


Thanks for the explanation. Even though us non-native speakers can read and write English quite well, acronyms are always troublesome since we don't use the same ones in our native languages.
I'm glad to see you're alright, sad to see that the bills didn't get covered :'(.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are you heading?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:49 pm 
Offline
Arilou wiseguy

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:01 pm
Posts: 160
Oh geez, I missed your announcement.
I'm happy that it went well, and you're on the way to recovery.

edit: fell into the trap of a necro....

Anyway, glad you got better....!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are you heading?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:50 am 
Offline
Ilwrath spawn
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:04 pm
Posts: 352
Location: Transiting
Good to hear. A life without beer is no life at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are you heading?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:41 pm 
Offline
Slylandro gasbags
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:16 pm
Posts: 1063
Location: Dallas, TX
Angelfish wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. Even though us non-native speakers can read and write English quite well, acronyms are always troublesome since we don't use the same ones in our native languages.

I sometimes forget since so many of our members are very fluent in English, a language which has many pitfalls and weird intricacies (especially the Americanized dialect). I think I now have a better understanding as to why "walls of text" can be annoying at times.

krulle wrote:
Oh geez, I missed your announcement.
I'm happy that it went well, and you're on the way to recovery.


Yeah, it had been a while since Bleeding Star had last visited, so since it was last August when my surgery took place, it may have seemed to appear as if it just recently happened.

Bleeding Star wrote:
Good to hear. A life without beer is no life at all.


Truer words have never been spoken. ;)

_________________
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” - Khan Noonien Singh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are you heading?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:36 pm 
Offline
Slylandro gasbags
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm
Posts: 1579
The Troglodyte wrote:
Angelfish wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. Even though us non-native speakers can read and write English quite well, acronyms are always troublesome since we don't use the same ones in our native languages.

I sometimes forget since so many of our members are very fluent in English, a language which has many pitfalls and weird intricacies (especially the Americanized dialect). I think I now have a better understanding as to why "walls of text" can be annoying at times.


I know, but acronyms rarely mean anything unless they are the same in the daily languag that people speak :).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are you heading?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:14 am 
Offline
Ilwrath spawn
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:04 pm
Posts: 352
Location: Transiting
Angelfish wrote:
I don't know what ADR means but I hope that you're fine :)


I was going with Audio Digital Recording or something, and I'm a native speaker.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are you heading?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:44 pm 
Offline
Slylandro gasbags
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:16 pm
Posts: 1063
Location: Dallas, TX
Bleeding Star wrote:
Angelfish wrote:
I don't know what ADR means but I hope that you're fine :)


I was going with Audio Digital Recording or something, and I'm a native speaker.


I'm not even really sure why I called it that, but it was probably because I heard the doctors use the abbreviated term so often, and also because I was too distracted by the prospect of confronting my own mortality.

Watch out Bleeding Star! If you become any more perfect... you're going to turn into an Ilwrath!

_________________
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” - Khan Noonien Singh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are you heading?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:00 am 
Offline
Ilwrath spawn
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:36 pm
Posts: 378
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.
Well I'm currently at a family friends house due to hurricane Irma.

_________________
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are you heading?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:57 am 
Offline
Arilou wiseguy

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:01 pm
Posts: 160
That sounds....
good, cause you seem to be alive and healthy (and I sincerely hope, everyone you love is healthy too).
bad, cause it sounds like your home is not available right now. (But I do hope your home survived the storm well. If not, I sincerely hope the insurance will not make a fuss.)

I wish you strength!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group - Theme modification by Lukipela and custom theme art by Zensmurfy