Where are you heading?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

FreakyM
Orz *camper*

Re: Where are you heading?

Post by FreakyM » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:24 am

I still exist.
My existence is quite happy. That is all for now, I hope yours fulfills these two conditions likewise.
Not gone. Drifting in the flow of the world, observing.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:04 pm

FreakyM wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:24 am
I still exist.
My existence is quite happy. That is all for now, I hope yours fulfills these two conditions likewise.
How is this two conditions :?
A happy existence necessitates an existence. Happy existence implies existence and by the laws of logical deduction that means that at least one of "you are not happy" and "you exist" are true. Then again, unhappiness also implies existence, so as both happy existence and unhappy existence implies existence, you must exist... which means everything exists by virtue of base reasoning, even if we can trivially prove that it does not exist.

Can you spot the fault in this reasoning?
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:10 pm

The whole forum has been pretty quiet of late. In light of recent events, here's hoping everyone is doing well and staying healthy.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:45 pm

Well, my county (Montgomery county, PA) was shut down today to prevent spread of COVID-19 since it's a bit of a hotspot relative to the rest of the area. No schools, theaters are closed, etc.. My wife's work also told people to work from home as much as possible. Since it's desk jobs, that's very possible for her. For me, it's not purely desk work, so I'm still going in today and probably a bunch of other days as well.

As for us, we're uninfected as far as we can tell.

How are things where you all are?

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:27 pm

I live in Bucks County, so I am quite familiar with your situation. My son's school has been closed since yesterday, and is scheduled to reopen on the 23rd, but we'll see. We had some travel plans for next week, suffice to say those have been cancelled, so my wife has been scrambling to every store in the area to try to get together more groceries and other necessities than we expected to need. No large scale shutdowns of anything other than area schools yet, but everyone seems to expect it's going to happen soon after the announcement from Montgomery county.

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:38 pm

My office has asked everyone to work from home. We do IT over the phone for our brick and mortar stores. I am required to be available on call for certain issues after hours anyway, so this isn't a foreign concept for me, thankfully.

People in my area are panic buying, unfortunately. I went out and got a couple groceries now, while the infection rates are supposedly low in my city (Lancaster, OH). That way I don't have to go back out and get more when things get worse.

I was sick all last week with symptoms that were either the normal Flu varieties or Covid-19. I am recovered now with a lingering cough from the lungs.

Hope everyone is staying safe and staying rational.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:26 pm

Draxas, you seriously live in a county adjacent to mine? :lol: How long have you been there? I was in NE Philadelphia for years and years, possibly even closer than this.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:10 am

I've lived here since 2009, when I got married. I had no idea anyone else here was practically right next door.

So as of yesterday, Bucks is under the same lockdown as Montgomery, so we are sheltering in place. I had already taken off next week (we had originally planned to go away for a few days, but that's out the window now), so no work either way, but I wouldn't be able to work from home either way. Still, everyone seems to be freaking out a little bit (or a lot); every school in the area is now closed for at least the next 2 weeks, the aformentioned panic buying is at its peak, and most people are pretty much hiding in their homes at this point. Up until now, I chalked most of what's happening to the "pandemic panic," but this seems both more serious and is being taken more seriously than any of the previous ones.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:39 pm

Starting toady I too join the forced unpaid vacationing crowd.
Am REALLY bad at staying idle for long, the two days off on weekends are bit of torture, now to be endured for unspecified period...
Bleh...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:41 am

So cool that you two (Death & Draxas) live so close to each other! I live in Dallas, so I'm experiencing the Covid-19 and how it's changed everyday living in America. My job is one of those which falls under the "crucial infrastructure" umbrella, so I'm still going to work, but things have been eerily different. Today seemed like the first day that the "new normalness" of it all has officially started sinking in. :roll:
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh