Where are you heading?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Re: Where are you heading?

Post by Dabir » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:10 pm

The dreaded A-Levels round 2 are coming up, and I'm understandably nervous about it. I'm lucky I've got such a good school behind me, one in which one of my Maths teachers is actually involved in the inner workings of the exam board. The board in question is MEI Mathematics, a subset of OCR, formerly Oxford and Cambridge whatever blah. MEI is a board run by crazy people and operated by incompetents. For example, every single statistician in the world, if asked to define 'standard deviation', would define it as something I don't currently remember divided by n, where n is the number of sample objects in the population (you have to put 'population' in everything too because otherwise the Chief Examiner gets funny). That's not good enough for MEI, oh no. In their Statistics modules, they define it as that same thing, only instead of divided by n they divide it by n+1, in accordance with a British Standard that nobody in the known universe actually cares about except people working for MEI.

There's also the slight problem where their textbooks are actually quite bad. In at least one case, following the text book will make you fail your exam, because on one topic the textbook is quite seriously wrong. The smart thing to do would mark in accordance with the textbook, but the exasperating pedants at MEI insist on marking with what's technically correct, not with what they tell you is correct in their textbooks (last edition about 2007). It's not entirely their fault, because the publisher insists that they can't pulp all the old (incorrect) stock.

Wow, that suddenly turned into a Pissed Off Megathread post. I might move it or copy+paste it later.

Also, we've had a cat for about a year now. I'm far too used to having nothing to talk about, so mentioning it completely slipped my mind. She's a big black cat called Tess, and I do mean big because she's really enormous. We've fitted her with an adorable collar with a little bell on it, so she's not quite a panther. We don't let her outside though, our road has loads of traffic and she seems to have no road sense.

What's been up with you guys?

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:32 am

I love cats, but my fiancee hates them. I grew up with the best cat in the world, and it makes me sad that I'm not going to get one again :(

Other than that I'm counting the days. Slightly over a month and I'll no longer be every day at the refinery, which is nice. I want something else to do and I've been there for almost 2,5 years now. I need something new.

Oh and the whole marriage thing is in April so we're kinda busy with that. Now have the dress, band, photographer, caterer, venue guest list and all that jazz.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Lukipela wrote:I love cats, but my fiancee hates them. I grew up with the best cat in the world, and it makes me sad that I'm not going to get one again :(
Kittens change the haters' minds quickly. They're too adorable not to love. Have her visit a shelter with you, just to look, and you may end up with a cat after all. ;)-smf Wait until after the wedding, though, of course.
Oh and the whole marriage thing is in April so we're kinda busy with that. Now have the dress, band, photographer, caterer, venue guest list and all that jazz.
Best of luck, because now is when it gets the most hectic. Before too long, though, you'll look back and it'll all be a vaguely remembered (if you're lucky, otherwise you won't remember it at all) blur.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:16 pm

Draxas wrote:Kittens change the haters' minds quickly. They're too adorable not to love. Have her visit a shelter with you, just to look, and you may end up with a cat after all. ;)-smf Wait until after the wedding, though, of course.
I guess I should have more specific, it's really a combination of her being allergic and her having some phobias regarding small animals. We're not sure where ti comes from, but any animal that is likely to jump up on her in some fashion really sends her into a state of panic. So she's fine with well trained dogs, though not relaxed, but really anxious close to cats, rabbits and other small animals. And then she has no trouble with horses, cows or any larger animals.
Best of luck, because now is when it gets the most hectic. Before too long, though, you'll look back and it'll all be a vaguely remembered (if you're lucky, otherwise you won't remember it at all) blur.
Looking forward to it right now and all the big stuff seems to be under control, but we'll see.

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:59 pm

Derailing the cat chat...

So I finally caved in and got myself an internet connection at home (paying the telecommunications parastatal Telkom an exorbitant amount of money for that privilege) after which I was back on this forum briefly... and then gone again.

Which was because shortly after that my router got struck by lightning (or maybe it being a Billion just stopped working). I think the world conspires to keep me off the internet but for now I have a shiny new Netgear and 'am headed back into the land of the internet'ed.

Hooray! also bye-bye free time.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:04 pm

It's probably God's way of saying "Stop fiddling with your engine and release a game, lest I banish you to the internet-less planes."

You should do as he said, the guy is dangerous. ;)-smf

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:48 am

Surgery. That's where I'm heading. Just got the letter in my mail and will be receiving a new bone in my nose mid March. This will hopefully fix a series of medical problems I've had for the past two-three years... Hopefully. This is one of the good parts in living in this nation of high taxation: The entire cost for me is around 40 euros, which I assume goes for the hospital bed and the food I get - all of the actual operation costs are taken from taxpayers.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Good luck man, hope your surgery goes well.

I'm getting married in two months. Gonna be a blast.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:49 am

@Gekko - Gee, that's too bad... Hope it all goes well!

@ Luki - Gee, that's great! Hope it all goes well!

That felt weird.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Dyandod wrote: ...

That felt weird.
Aren't you glad you didn't mix up the two messages? I bet that would have been even weirder.

Although really, being told you're having surgery can be a good thing, too. Especially if, as it sounds, it fixes a chronic problem.