Women on this board

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Women on this board

Post by Nuclear » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:54 am

ChenjesuWizard wanted examples and I gave him one. There's no need to escalate the issue to a political battle. If you asked for examples of men making ridiculous claims about women instead, I would give you evidence there as well. In fact, here you go: http://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:20 am

Grrr. Rowf rowf rowf! ;)

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:20 pm

Eth wrote:You're right Nuclear. This is clear evidence that no man has ever taken advantage of a drunk girl. We can all sleep soundly now.
if you want me to speak a different language so you can understand what the fuck we were talking about, please say so.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:59 pm

The point is, in general, women are treated worse and attacked far more then men, who have privilege. Yes, there are examples where men are demonised etc, but it is no way to the extent that women are prejudiced against.
I feel that if your only contribution to women being persecuted is to go, "but what about me and my gender?", then you need to realise that it's not all about you.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:49 pm

chenjesuwizard wrote:The point is, in general, women are treated worse and attacked far more then men, who have privilege. Yes, there are examples where men are demonised etc, but it is no way to the extent that women are prejudiced against.
I feel that if your only contribution to women being persecuted is to go, "but what about me and my gender?", then you need to realise that it's not all about you.
That doesn't make any of the discrimination against either men or women less appalling. If we want the world to treat people as worthy individuals we should stop segmenting them in groups and determining our behaviour upon that.

chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:21 pm

Except that gender blind approach, as I've already mentioned, doesn't work. It fails to recognise the problems that women face, which are big problems. If you try and forget gender, you have to act as if men and women are equal already, and that they face the same problems that have to be fought.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:33 pm

chenjesuwizard wrote:Except that gender blind approach, as I've already mentioned, doesn't work. It fails to recognise the problems that women face, which are big problems. If you try and forget gender, you have to act as if men and women are equal already, and that they face the same problems that have to be fought.
The fact is, purely biologically, Men and Women are not equal. The different sexes are just that. Different. That does, of course, not necessitate that either is better or worse than the other - an individual's social standing should not be determined by such things. The ancient hunter-gatherers understood this; back then, their culture was largely gender-equal, and it remained as such until the rise of agriculture, when changes to work distribution lead to the woman's diminished role in work, and as a consequence their social standing was dragged down with it.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:43 pm

Quasispatial wrote:
chenjesuwizard wrote:Except that gender blind approach, as I've already mentioned, doesn't work. It fails to recognise the problems that women face, which are big problems. If you try and forget gender, you have to act as if men and women are equal already, and that they face the same problems that have to be fought.
The fact is, purely biologically, Men and Women are not equal. The different sexes are just that. Different. That does, of course, not necessitate that either is better or worse than the other - an individual's social standing should not be determined by such things. The ancient hunter-gatherers understood this; back then, their culture was largely gender-equal, and it remained as such until the rise of agriculture, when changes to work distribution lead to the woman's diminished role in work, and as a consequence their social standing was dragged down with it.
I don't see how we are biologically different in terms of intelligence or pressing buttons on a keyboard. on the internet, we should all be equal.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:15 pm

Angelfish wrote:
Quasispatial wrote:
I don't see how we are biologically different in terms of intelligence or pressing buttons on a keyboard. on the internet, we should all be equal.
Just because there are differences in some aspects of biology does not mean that there are differences in all aspects of biology. On an evolutionary scale, the male and female are almost completely identical, with almost being the key word. If the two sexes were truly identical, we wouldn't have two sexes in the first place, now would we? If A = B you can replace B with A, resulting in only one remaining. And yes, on the internet what biological differences are present between the sexes are utterly irrelevant, or at the very least negilible, as they do not in any way influence an individual's capability in this field, leading us to the conclusion that the internet should, logically, be fully gender-equal. I was taking about society and history at large, not just limited to the internet - it's better to disregard gender completely and simply think of each operating entity as having a practically identical starting position, where the actions and posts are what matters, rather than, say, gender. Of course, gender gets mixed in courtesy of language, as we cannot refer to everyone as "it" on the internet, what with having no gender-neutral way to refer to someone in third person outside of stating their name, and once gender has gotten involved, the views of the real world tends to seep in, bringing its own issues with it.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:37 pm

Angelfish wrote:
Quasispatial wrote:
We should, but we aren't. It's easy to say "I don't see gender on the internet" when you don't have to deal with people degrading you because of your gender on the internet.